Citation V down in Oregon

Facebook reports ATC yelling oxygen repeatedly and pilot didn't sound right on ground at KTTD...

Facebook reports ATC yelling oxygen repeatedly and pilot didn't sound right on ground at KTTD...
What kind of "didn't sound right" was it?

Sounds as if ATC thought the pilot could have been hypoxic, but if he was wonky on ground, perhaps a medical condition or [and this will ruin it for everyone] chemical incapacitation.

What kind of "didn't sound right" was it?

I listened to the ground radio and I didn't seem that bad to me.
Not sure what the person on FB was talking about. The radio communications were not perfect by the pilot, but I've done worse on the radio.

Pilot sounded slurred af on the way up. If that's how he normally sounds, yikes. I take it this operation was single pilot?

Looks like maybe hypoxia? Flight track from ADSBexchange.com

Attachments

• D8B832AD-BE85-4775-8A2F-5ECFEAD45A10.png
    D8B832AD-BE85-4775-8A2F-5ECFEAD45A10.png
    240.7 KB · Views: 57
For anyone who says POA goes too far with speculation on accidents...

For anyone who says POA goes too far with speculation on accidents...

Yeah, he was pretty adamant about pilot suicide. I'm still leaning toward incapacitation, perhaps intoxication, just because I don't want the FAA to mandate psych evals for all of us.

Of course all this is wild speculation, but isn't it common for suicide by airplane for the person to not comply to most rules from engine start to final crash.?? I mean filing a flight plan is easy enough but why do that.?? Why not take off without speaking to anyone and disappear into the ocean.?? Why couldn't the cause be kidnapping/murder/suicide by the second person.?? When described as ''not sounding right'' on the radio while on the ground could that have been because of stress of having someone sticking a gun into the pilots ribs.??

Or maybe the jet had a midair with the unknown jetpack guy that has been seen at times.....

I can't stand a guy who is so wishy-washy with his opinions. :rofl:

Yeah, he was pretty adamant about pilot suicide. I'm still leaning toward incapacitation, perhaps intoxication, just because I don't want the FAA to mandate psych evals for all of us.

If FAA mandated psych evaluation, most if not all on this board will be grounded, including me rofl

dear FAA, I am kidding , sorta

He's sort of local, but I don't know him directly. Friends who do know him. Well...
I've actually known him personally for over 12 years. Used to consider him a friend. Flown with him several times (actually did my initial Citation training with him), drank a lot of beer together and even played guitar together.

He's extremely knowledgeable, helped me out on a few vintage airplane maintenance issues and was a big fighter in the crusade to get the FAA to update PTS.

But he's a total attention whore.

Over the last few years, he really started going off the deep end making these videos and wild claims as if he actually knew what happened. Most cases, his been flat out wrong. I tried calling him on it a few times, pointing out that he was hurting his own credibility. He responded by cutting off all communication with me/blocking me on social media...etc. Meanwhile he has been known to text friends of mine in the warbird world and personally harass them.

Real piece of work.

Something wasn’t right with the pilot but I don’t buy the suicide claim. Regarding the video? Adamant claim from someone who wasn’t there and has no proof. Unless there is a secret society among those who have done some questionable things in their past.

There was a thread in Reddit ripping Dan to pieces. I don’t feel like searching for it.

I watched that video posted above and even being an extreme rookie I was pretty shocked that he was so adamant about it being suicide. I could understand him saying that it is his opinion that it is possible but he flat out said it was suicide, no if, ands, or buts. I'm leaning towards some type of stroke or intoxication since he sounded out of it from the start. Carbon monoxide might be a possibility but I probably know less about airplanes than anyone on here so I'm just throwing that out there. I'm not on board with the struggle in the cockpit theory. That doesn't explain the troubled speech from the beginning unless he was trying to alert ATC in a code type of way?

The airplane side of it is way over my head but I used to work in law enforcement and have conducted investigations so that's what gets my attention here.

Exactly the kind of BS I have come to expect from Dan Gryder.
Why? Do you think his AQP stuff was self serving and useless? I'm just a simple PPL but it looked interesting. Some other well known CFIs online also seem to endorse it like Josh Flowers and TFP. That's how I came to know Dan from his joint videos with those guys.
I actually sent it to the CFI's I train with and they all passed on it because they don't like to work on things not in the PTS, but who knows maybe they think its BS as well.

I lost a lot of respect for him because of this video he just posted. It really feels like it came out of left field for the guy, but again I don't know much about him. He should delete it.

Edit: I read your above post stating you know the guy personally. Point taken.
Double Edit: Just googled the guy...I'm gonna leave it at that.

Last edited:
There is a note on Kathryn's Report that states,

Those who may have information that might be relevant to the National Transportation Safety Board investigation may contact them by email eyewitnessreport@ntsb.gov, and any friends and family who want to contact investigators about the accident should email assistance@ntsb.gov.

Perhaps Mr. Gryder should submit a copy of his video ...:popcorn:

I watched that video posted above and even being an extreme rookie I was pretty shocked that he was so adamant about it being suicide. I could understand him saying that it is his opinion that it is possible but he flat out said it was suicide, no if, ands, or buts. I'm leaning towards some type of stroke or intoxication since he sounded out of it from the start. Carbon monoxide might be a possibility but I probably know less about airplanes than anyone on here so I'm just throwing that out there. I'm not on board with the struggle in the cockpit theory. That doesn't explain the troubled speech from the beginning unless he was trying to alert ATC in a code type of way?

The airplane side of it is way over my head but I used to work in law enforcement and have conducted investigations so that's what gets my attention here.

What was the pilots medical status? If you are a diabetic, particularly a Type 1, if you experience a low blood sugar episode you can be mistaken for a drunk. Just wondering

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We read a lot about fake news these days - there are now mini-courses you can take to help you discern fake vs real.
I think this would be a great video to be included as a shining example of wild conjecture presented as truth.
If you are familiar with scientific reports or even read (bonafide) accident investigative reports you will easily see the difference.
This one has a rambling nature with few pauses or periods. Did anyone hear him stop to breathe? Maybe he was hypoxic when he did this video.

Normally a conclusion is presented and backed up by at least one largely irrefutable fact.
His conclusion of suicide is offered, but the only evidence offered is the flight path.
(An ever increasing rate of descent is not proof of suicide.)

There is quite a bit of info offered such as the hours on the engines, the mobster/Mafia deals' and previous N number, owner's residence, involvement with Al Qaeda, "weird, big, big money and transactions gone bad", companies he's owned and their exact location.
You will not hear such innuendo in a quality report. Either the info has a useful purpose in the report or it is left out. Do authors do this to generate the facade of being 'in the know' about the event?
I totally missed any point he could be making about it being a single pilot airplane with all the back and forth, and extraneous info.

Suicide may be the cause. But this author provides no proof....but does present his opinion as irrefutable fact. I prefer to await the presentation of quality information to support the conclusion.

The problem isn’t speculating that it could have been suicide. The problem is ruling out all other explanations that are consistent with the facts that are available so far. Suicide isn’t even the most likely explanation, much less the only plausible one.

Being an arrogant attention whore is not only plausible but also the most likely explanation for posting a YouTube video declaring that the only possible reason for this crash is suicide. Other explanations for the video are also plausible, but much less likely.

We read a lot about fake news these days - there are now mini-courses you can take to help you discern fake vs real.

There’s also mini courses that claim to do that which purposefully teach it wrong. LOL.

Ain’t the whole fake internet just grand?

:) ;-)

I would be interested which three fatal plane accidents he deemed suicidal in 2020... :confused:o_O:confused: I am honestly not and the video is in my opinion disrespectful.

Didn't Dan try to run some cops over with a DC-3, and that got him fired from Delta?

I think there was an incident where the police tried to deal with him (maybe issue a citation) and he climbed into the DC-3 and taxied away.

Trying to run over the police using your DC-3 would be suicide by airplane, most likely.

Back