Running thread of questions studying for checkride

4RNB

Line Up and Wait
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
4RNB
1. What time counts as PIC, Pilot in Command, as a student pilot?

2. I am reading the FAR AIM, it talks about VFR flyways through Class B airspace, with a frequency to talk on to give position updates. I've looked on printed charts for RDU, my local large airport, do not see a flyway of this frequency. Do you know of any examples of such a flyway that I can see as an example? Do the frequencies show up also?

Thank you.

Pre Private Pilot Certificate, all solo time is Pilot-in-Comand time. Nothing else.

The only VFR flyway I know of is in Los Angeles. So I would look there for an example.

1. What time counts as PIC, Pilot in Command, as a student pilot?
Solo time.

I am reading the FAR AIM, it talks about VFR flyways through Class B airspace, with a frequency to talk on to give position updates. I've looked on printed charts for RDU, my local large airport, do not see a flyway of this frequency. Do you know of any examples of such a flyway that I can see as an example? Do the frequencies show up also?

I don't have a paper chart with any but on FF (select US VFR Flyway overlay to see them all) I don't see any distinct flyway frequencies on the ones I see. I just contact approach when I need to go the Eastern Shore for something and use the VFR flyway.

1) look it up or ask your CFI

2) look at the ‘Charlotte Fly’ chart and you’ll see the flyways around CLT class B. There is no freq specific to the flyways.

I have also never heard of flyway frequencies. I do remember the VFR flyway thing vaguely from PPL. I think in the real world since you have to be cleared into the airspace anyway, you would already be talking to them...and since you would need a mode c unless you had a crazy old plane and had prior permission to fly through, they would know where you are.

There are also flyways through the Class B airspace. For example, look at the New Orleans Class B. There is a VFR flyway corridor which passed through the Class B between 1000 and 2000 feet and has a box stating to obtain approval from either tower or approach.
image001.jpg

Isn’t the New York SVFR similar?

Bonus on PIC time. You are PIC on your check ride. You’re not with a CFI, and you’re not solo.

OK, next question.
Took a ride with someone yesterday, they used flight following the whole way, there and back. I've had only a minimum exposure. I found the extra conversation a lot more to deal with, not too much. The pilot was IFR certified on a VFR flight.

Do most people use flight following all the time? I had foreflight up and running, showed me traffic as well as the voices in my head.

I hear most IFR pilots only fly IFR once they get that ticket.

Are there maps that show coverage areas for the different centers? I see on Foreflight what each airport uses, but am curious where along the routes to expect different centers/frequency changes.

The first capt I ever flew with in the airlines would simply look over the side, twirl a couple knobs and change the freq in the standby window, and in a few moments we’d get a call from ATC to change to that frequency... and wouldn’t miss one fifty times a day! Insane.

Other than flying with Tim, not sure!

Are there maps that show coverage areas for the different centers? I see on Foreflight what each airport uses, but am curious where along the routes to expect different centers/frequency changes.
IFR Low Altitude En Route Charts have this information, as does the ForeFlight data-driven map. The notation is a blue castellated line between ARTCC jurisdictions and blue castellated boxes with the name of the center, location of the communication outlet, and frequencies. Find the nearest castellated box on your side of the castellated line and call them up.

For the unknowing and other Aggies in the crowd, that fancy northern word “castellated” is what we would call “postage stamp”

For the unknowing and other Aggies in the crowd, that fancy northern word “castellated” is what we would call “postage stamp”
It’s truly a fancy word, and I’m almost certain that, being a hick from the hinterland, I use it wrong. But can we at least agree that it’s blue? (ETA: The line, not the word. I don’t know what color the word is.)

Just double-checked the Salt Lake Bravo FLY chart (airport I often use). No frequencies except for VORs that I noticed. Those charts are mostly useful for transition information. For example, Salt Lake has the “Barn Transition”. As a pilot it’s helpful to know these transitions but if you are not make sure to tell the controller and they will just put you on vectors.

re: PIC. Formerly, pre-Private Pilot Certificate, student could only log SOLO time. Always was solo. Keep up with it.There’s still a block on the 8710 form so you’ll perennially be asked for it. However circa 2017, the FAR changed, and Solo time after earning the certificate, can be counted as PIC, to include the PP check ride.

re: ATC frequency in VFR corridors through Class C, B, and Restricted areas (ie: Eglin AFB to Destin, FL) requires two way communication with the controlling authority. An example is the Atlanta Hartsfield north-south corridor. It requires a request and class-B clearance from Atlanta Approach. 121.0 N-S, 119.8 S-N. Allowed on an as-able situation depending on traffic levels. No problem since COVID-19. Approach frequency can be found on Sectional and TAC charts in side bar legends. Also on approach plates and SIDS/STARS.

Eglin Approach handles traffic through the Eglin military airspace (Restricted). Whichever Frequency they’re using that day. (Several).
So, if you are VFR and on flight following, no problems, just ask. Another reason to use flight following or filing IFR.

Last edited:
As a VFR pilot when I do a X Country I always do flight following.
I would get flight following when I taxi to the fuel farm if they would let me. I can't remember the last time I flew without taking to anyone.

re: PIC. Formerly, pre-Private Pilot Certificate, student could only log SOLO time. Always was solo. Keep up with it.There’s still a block on the 8710 form so you’ll perennially be asked for it. However circa 2017, the FAR changed, and Solo time after earning the certificate, can be counted as PIC, to include the PP check ride.

You're about 20 years off on that date estimate.

How about square wave for the electronics engineers among us?

Back