Forward Slip Question

Those who think a 172 descends like an elevator at idle and 40 flaps have never slipped a Champ or Citabria at max rudder. Or a Jodel D11. Those airplanes will make a 172 at 40 flap feel like a sailplane.

Au contraire, I currently own a Citabria and enjoy slipping the heck out of it. :biggrin:

As I understood it, the reason was to meet the certification requirements... the 152 couldn't make the required climb performance with full flaps. I'm not sure the 150 could either, but the rules may have changed.
Gross weight of the C-152 is 70 pounds heavier than the later C-150, and the 152's engine is heavier and mounted farther forward. So both climb and pitch authority in the flare would be worse with 40° flap.

I've done many slips with full flaps, in a 172.

I have a 57 why would you not use 40 degrees? Are you worried if you have to go around? You can do it. I have it just takes some significant forward pressure and getting from 40-20 fairly quickly. As for slipping I can't see it being necessary often. I would almost bet you could turn final at pattern altitude with 40 degrees and still make it in the first third of the runway.

I do love slipping a champ.

Last edited:
Reactions: YKA
Slips prohibited with 40 degrees in you model, other 172s with only 30 degree flaps advise avoid slips with flaps extended. Practice slips zero flaps and be prepared to answer why you are doing this on the practical test. A lot of examiners do the slip to landing in a 172 as an equipment failure (flap motor).

Same in my 1959 172 manual , but 30 degrees ok ?

I used to enjoy the "pitch pumping" and oil canning sounds from aggressively slipping with flaps in a 172.

Never killed me. Not even once...

I have a 57 why would you not use 40 degrees? Are you worried if you have to go around? You can do it. I have it just takes some significant forward pressure and getting from 40-20 fairly quickly. As for slipping I can't see it being necessary often. I would almost bet you could turn final at pattern altitude with 40 degrees and still make it in the first third of the runway.

I do love slipping a champ.

Leaving 800 feet of the 1200...

FYI, you will get a better descent rate keeping the plane slow with flaps vs pointing the nose down. Such as in the 172sp we normally approach final with 65 kts and flaps 20. If you are high, flaps 30, power idle, airspeed 60kts will result in an elevator-like descent. Now if you push the nose down in the same configuration and airspeed is like 80kts, you will find that the descent rate is much lower and you also end up too fast crossing the threshold. More airspeed means more lift.

A slip is all yaw and roll axis movement. The pitch attitude shouldn't change because you don't want to change the airspeed.

In a slip your airspeed indication isn't accurate.

And the main reason not to use 40 deg of flaps for landing is because the approach speed is so slow you need to pack a lunch or two to get you through to the threshold. ;)

Last edited:
Those who think a 172 descends like an elevator at idle and 40 flaps have never slipped a Champ or Citabria at max rudder. Or a Jodel D11. Those airplanes will make a 172 at 40 flap feel like a sailplane.

So true. It's all frame of reference and experience. And those who've only slipped Champ/Citabria types will likewise be shocked the first time they experience a full slip in a Pitts type.

If you can’t do slips how are you landing in a crosswind to the maximum demonstrated crosswind component?
Just not using 40 degrees of flap . I'm mostly @ 30 degrees .
Reason stated is @40 degrees it causes loss of smooth air flow over elevator , " burbling" as I recall was the word used.

Back