Flight rules VFR, IFR, and BTH?

4RNB

Line Up and Wait
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
4RNB
What does BTH mean relative to VFR and IFR rules?
Thanks.

Maybe someone got their fingers one key off on the key board....

I think it stands for Both.

I think the field only allows three letters. Let's see: two comm radios, one is broken. A KNS80, but the indicator is bad (which makes it useless). The only thing he has is a 25 year old handheld GPS (which admittedly works pretty well, I still have mine). Oh, and the annual was due five months ago (probably because the onerous Wing spar AD not having been performed). Oh, and the registration is also expired. I really wonder if it is being "actively flown."

I think the field only allows three letters. Let's see: two comm radios, one is broken. A KNS80, but the indicator is bad (which makes it useless). The only thing he has is a 25 year old handheld GPS (which admittedly works pretty well, I still have mine). Oh, and the annual was due five months ago (probably because the onerous Wing spar AD not having been performed). Oh, and the registration is also expired. I really wonder if it is being "actively flown."
It says “wing spar inspections done”.

but then, it also says, “BEING FLOWN - NOT SITTING”.

And it also says:
"OUR KIDS HAVE SHOWN NO INTEREST IN FLYING AND NOW NEED COLLEGE MONEY" .... so who is flying it?

BTH probably means:

Begin
Total-engine-overhaul-shop
Hunt

It seems to be an old ad. How long do these sites leave ads up for?

I continue to see BTH in listings. Was pretty much accepting it meant VFR/IFR (both)... but now confused again.

This was from RV-7 ad.

General Specs

• TOTAL TIME 80
  • FLIGHT RULES BTH
  • # OF SEATS BTH
Engines / Mods / Prop
  • NUMBER OF PROPELLERS BTH

Do they just want us to call (Best To Holler)?
Are they checking first? (Bout To Happen)?
WTF is BTH???

A search in the Urban Dictionary brought up a few suggestions.

1. Being Too Honest
2. Black Tar Heroin
3. Bored, Tired, and Horny
4. Big Time Huge

While Black Tar Heroin or Bored, Tired, Horny flight rules sound fun, I just can't settle on it..

Last edited:
I love the fact that it's IFR but the VOR/ILS needs a new CDI, only one of the comm radios works, It does have a KNS80 for those who want an inscrutable RNAV system.

I love the fact that it's IFR but the VOR/ILS needs a new CDI, only one of the comm radios works, It does have a KNS80 for those who want an inscrutable RNAV system.

harsh. I bet we both remember when a KNS 80 was state of the art. Sure beat the single waypoint mechanical display RNAV in a friend's Mooney.

harsh. I bet we both remember when a KNS 80 was state of the art. Sure beat the single waypoint mechanical display RNAV in a friend's Mooney.
The plane my wife learned to fly had one of those thumbwheel RNAVs in it (actually had two sets of wheels for a flip flop 2-waypoint system). Her instructor told her "NO GPS" when training. So I taught her how to transfer the RNAV coords form the Airguide (little brown book) into the RNAV. She did that one time when the instructor was along and he amended the ruling to NO RNAV (of any sort).

The plane my wife learned to fly had one of those thumbwheel RNAVs in it (actually had two sets of wheels for a flip flop 2-waypoint system). Her instructor told her "NO GPS" when training. So I taught her how to transfer the RNAV coords form the Airguide (little brown book) into the RNAV. She did that one time when the instructor was along and he amended the ruling to NO RNAV (of any sort).

Flight instructors are born evil :D. Airguide, I used to buy those.

My guess is Buyer To figure tHat out.

Beyond The Horizon. In the context of US flight rules, it's VFR. I take it as a marketing tool that is supposed to tell you that you can fly "further" than VFR, probably because you have some nav tool like a non IFR GPS that lets you plan something further.

I think. BTH isn't a defined flight rule. I cringe when I see it and skip to the next ad, figuring the poster doesn't know what they're talking about and therefore I can't trust buying their airplane.

Beyond The Horizon. In the context of US flight rules, it's VFR. I take it as a marketing tool that is supposed to tell you that you can fly "further" than VFR, probably because you have some nav tool like a non IFR GPS that lets you plan something further.

I think. BTH isn't a defined flight rule. I cringe when I see it and skip to the next ad, figuring the poster doesn't know what they're talking about and therefore I can't trust buying their airplane.
I don't think that's it. I started a fake listing and when it come to "flight rules," this is what I was presented with. There's no option to type in BTH.
upload_2021-1-18_16-33-40.png
I think BTH is what you get when you list it as IFR & VFR.

So what airplanes are out there, that are certified for IFR, but not VFR? Both is a stupid option.

What does IFR and VFR mean? Are there planes you can fly IFR but not VFR?

I go back to “they don’t know what they’re doing, why worse is wrong? I cannot consider their plane.”

Maybe it's an onomatopoeia kind of thing, like tongue-sticking-out "phbbbttt". As in "Flight rules? Seats? Propellers? Phhhbbbttt!" :p

So what airplanes are out there, that are certified for IFR, but not VFR? Both is a stupid option.
Goes to show the web dork that set the page up ain't got a clue.

Reactions: YKA
Those non vfr planes must be a real ***** to taxi.

For fun I emailed TAP and below is the response:

The only thing I found AAA is the meaning "Beyond the Horizon". I have included the link below for your reference. I wish I could be more helpful.

http://unitag.co.il/assets/files/All-Aviation-Abbreviations.pdf

Sincerely,

Monique
--

Monique Deschane
Trade-A-Plane
Call 800-337-5263 U.S. & Canada
931-484-5137 International
Monday– Friday 8:00 AM - 4:00 PM CST

Here's what it means. BTH means BOTH VFR and IFR. It seems silly because if it's IFR it's most certainly VFR but that's what it means. I got the answer directly from Trade a Plane.

Back