Presidential transportation (no politics!)

murphey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
murphey
Found an interesting trivia note on Wikipedia:

"Since 1953 whenever the President is on board a military flight its call sign is the name of the armed service followed by the word "One". Thus Air Force One, Army One, Coast Guard One, Marine One, Navy One, and Space Force One. However, only the Air Force and Marine Corps actively maintain aircraft for the Commander-in-Chief, and as of January 13, 2021, the President has flown in neither a Coast Guard nor Space Force aircraft. If the President uses a civilian airplane it is designated Executive One."

Navy One referred to a Navy aircraft, and only used once (Bush). I would guess that Navy One would also apply for any other Navy transport. But....since the incoming POTUS has traditionally travelled by rail (and I assume Secret Service will no longer allow it, so this is entirely hypothetical and I'm really bored right now), what would the train be designated?

Don't think there'd need to be a special designation. I believe the "Air Force One" moniker is intended as radio identification of the aircraft in the air traffic control environment. Train routing is a bit different.

After all, you never hear the "XXXXX One" designation in reference to the POTUS's limo, fishing boat, or golf cart.....

Ron Wanttaja

A dreary day in 2003, I was at Kitty Hawk when George W. Bush came down to make a short speech arriving in Marine One. Shortly thereafter, a B-2 made a low pass down the FFA runway. Now there's something you don't see every day I thought. A moment later Air Force One (proper sense of the callsign) made a similar low pass.

My office was under left base for the n/s runways at IAD. One morning I observed one of the VC-25s making multiple passes by my window. What are they doing? Touch and goes?

Presidents, like everyone else, used to travel by rail, before air travel became common.

Special trains sometimes happened. I suppose those are analogous to charter air.

Sometimes the special trains were named. For example, Lincoln’s body was carried to Illinois by a special funeral train called “The Lincoln Special” in the newspapers.

Lincoln took a special four-car train to Gettysburg. I don’t know if that train was named, or publicized at the time.

Presidents, like everyone else, used to travel by rail, before air travel became common.

Special trains sometimes happened. I suppose those are analogous to charter air.

Sometimes the special trains were named. For example, Lincoln’s body was carried to Illinois by a special funeral train called “The Lincoln Special” in the newspapers.

Lincoln took a special four-car train to Gettysburg. I don’t know if that train was named, or publicized at the time.
A simpler day in time... that is interesting!

Found an interesting trivia note on Wikipedia:
Something else I found interesting in the Wikipedia article:
"This designation for the U.S. Air Force aircraft carrying the incumbent president was established after an incident in 1953, when Eastern Air Lines 8610, a commercial flight, crossed paths with Air Force 8610, which was carrying President Eisenhower."

And here's an outside reference:
https://www.beaconjournal.com/article/20141124/LIFESTYLE/311249279
"The best-known incident was in 1953 as Draper flew Eisenhower to Florida. Air traffic controllers briefly confused the Columbine II, designated as Air Force 610, with Eastern Airlines Flight 610. Draper suggested a new designation, Air Force One, to avoid future problems. The name stuck and is still in use."

A dreary day in 2003, I was at Kitty Hawk when George W. Bush came down to make a short speech arriving in Marine One. Shortly thereafter, a B-2 made a low pass down the FFA runway. Now there's something you don't see every day I thought. A moment later Air Force One (proper sense of the callsign) made a similar low pass.

My office was under left base for the n/s runways at IAD. One morning I observed one of the VC-25s making multiple passes by my window. What are they doing? Touch and goes?

They will do lots of training in all the VC- aircraft. I've seen them at PSM even. They use the callsign of Venus when they are not carrying VIP's.

Although Trump never used it, during Obama's term the Secret Service finally invested in and build a POTUS level bus with adequate security and protection for campaign season. Although they tried to quash it, the bus quickly earned the unwanted nickname "Greyhound One"!

president-obama-s-11-million-greyhound-one-38052_1.jpg

Last edited:

I used to see 28000 and 29000 doing TnGs at RIC when I was living down there 15 years ago. This was back when the VA ANG was based there; not sure if they're still using the airport now.

It actually was in the plans for the incoming POTUS to ride Amtrak into DC, it now is not happening. So Amtrak One won’t see its fruition.

There was an alert went out that said expect frequent TFRs between Wilmington and DC at inauguration time.

The VC-32 that was flying the VP back to ADW from MHT hit a bird on takeoff, and they did an emergency return. They put the VP on to one of the C-17's that was flying the limos back, and they used the Air Force 2 callsign. I am sure that was a cool experience for that crew.

The VC-32 that was flying the VP back to ADW from MHT hit a bird on takeoff, and they did an emergency return. They put the VP on to one of the C-17's that was flying the limos back, and they used the Air Force 2 callsign. I am sure that was a cool experience for that crew.

no doubt!

Does AF1 get a specific transponder code?

Richard Nixon was aboard AF1 returning to California when Gerald Ford took the oath of office in August 1974. When Ford recited the words "So help me God," the airplane's callsign changed from Air Force One to SAM 27000 for the remainder of the flight.

Does AF1 get a specific transponder code?

No. Whatever NAS code is available. Same with Marine One only since they’re usually VFR, it’ll most likely be a local code. Of course that’s a shell game trying to figure out who has the man.

I knew an Instructor at my Commuter who had flown C-130s in the Air Force. When he was stationed in Alaska LBJ was returning from Asia and wanted to inspect the DEW line. The only aircraft that could be done in was a C-130. So the Instructor got flew LBJ and got to call his aircraft Air Force One.

Richard Nixon was aboard AF1 returning to California when Gerald Ford took the oath of office in August 1974. When Ford recited the words "So help me God," the airplane's callsign changed from Air Force One to SAM 27000 for the remainder of the flight.

Sounds like that may happen on Wednesday as well.

Flight plan filing. Was on an R2F (Biden) call sign once for the day.

F8427395-852D-46E0-8B5C-21731BE89559.jpeg

Last edited:
Despite the theatrics, taking the OATH doesn't officially change the president. The normal presidential term ends at noon, whether anybody takes the oath or not, the president-elect becomes president. Same with Nixon's resignation and Ford's acendence. Nixon made his resignation effective at noon and Ford replaced him at that time.

Despite the theatrics, taking the OATH doesn't officially change the president. The normal presidential term ends at noon, whether anybody takes the oath or not, the president-elect becomes president. Same with Nixon's resignation and Ford's acendence. Nixon made his resignation effective at noon and Ford replaced him at that time.
No doubt. My post was based on an interview of Nixon's pilot. Col. Albertazzie, who said the crew was listening to Ford's inauguration on the radio, and made the callsign switch on that cue.

The presidential limo is called the Beast.

I was stationed at HMX-1 back when Marine One was a VH-3. now they use VH-60's until the VH-92 comes out, I think this year.

Sounds like that may happen on Wednesday as well.
[not political] At this timestamp, the latest news is that POTUS is planning to return to Florida on Tuesday, so call sign change isn't an issue.

[not political] At this timestamp, the latest news is that POTUS is planning to return to Florida on Tuesday, so call sign change isn't an issue.
Which means watch the TFRs in Florida carefully. ForeFlight has the Palm Beach TFR starting on Wednesday, as of this time stamp. There's no intent to contradict the quoted post, as things are fluid and the TFR may not be updated yet.

upload_2021-1-18_17-18-41.png

Which means watch the TFRs in Florida carefully. ForeFlight has the Palm Beach TFR starting on Wednesday, as of this time stamp. There's no intent to contradict the quoted post, as things are fluid and the TFR may not be updated yet.

View attachment 93332
Which means, at 12:00 EST, the TFR becomes 3 nm. Of course that assumes the FAA makes the change at that time. Could be interesting.
Does the Delaware TFR go big at that time, or only when POTUS-to-be is in residence there? Check out the current Delaware TFRs.

Which means, at 12:00 EST, the TFR becomes 3 nm. Of course that assumes the FAA makes the change at that time. Could be interesting.
Does the Delaware TFR go big at that time, or only when POTUS-to-be is in residence there? Check out the current Delaware TFRs.
I think the POTUS-elect will be in DC at that time and in the FRZ. IF it was like the past 4 years, the large TFR appears when he is in Delaware. Having said that, the Wilmington TFR ends at inauguration time- maybe it will be replaced by a bigger one? :dunno:

The KILG one is the 19th (Monday) from 12:45 through 4:30 EST.

upload_2021-1-18_18-4-35.png

I think the POTUS-elect will be in DC at that time and in the FRZ. IF it was like the past 4 years, the large TFR appears when he is in Delaware. Having said that, the Wilmington TFR ends at inauguration time- maybe it will be replaced by a bigger one? :dunno:

The KILG one is the 19th (Monday) from 12:45 through 4:30 EST.

View attachment 93333
Jan 20 11:00 am CST is noon, Eastern.

Just plotted the big one....covers Philly, possibly Baltimore, and over 20 little ones. Another reason I love living in the timezone that CNN/MSNBC/FOX/whatever ignores.

Jan 20 11:00 am CST is noon, Eastern.

Just plotted the big one....covers Philly, possibly Baltimore, and over 20 little ones. Another reason I love living in the timezone that CNN/MSNBC/FOX/whatever ignores.

It's a blessing that the chance of an El Pasoan becoming president is near zero;)

When TFRs occur in our area, the entire East-West corridor is blocked as the TFR reaches north to the White Sands Missile Range's restricted area and Mexico won't allow transitions through their airspace forcing most traffic to fly FAR north near Albuquerque:mad::(

Back