Ford Fiesta SYNC mic issues

crash7

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Crash7
Help!

I bought my daughter a 2015 Ford Fiesta. We synced up her iPhone XR. So far so good. If we initial a call directly from the phone, 2-way talking works fine. Same calling her.

She tried to use the hands-free way to dial. Pushed the little face-speaking icon button on steering wheel. Car said, “say a command”. Spoke one. Nothing. It was as if it could hear us.

Went back and simply initiated a call directly from phone. We could hear them talking to us, but they couldn’t hear us speak. It was as if the car mic wasn’t working.

I pulled the fuse for the radio, put it back and 2-way calls initiated from phone work. As soon as we try the hands-free thing, mic dies again. Pulling/resetting the fuse gets us back again.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just fought through an issue with my wife’s 2013 Ford Edge with the MySync and integrated nav/audio/display panel. In reading the POH I saw a 1-800 number for myTouch/MySync tech assistance. Might try there for assistance. Google and Ford discussion groups second?

Disconnect battery for a minute and reconnect. Had to do that on occasion with an F-150 for sync issues

Disconnect battery for a minute and reconnect. Had to do that on occasion with an F-150 for sync issues

I saw that possible solution online. I would think pulling / resetting the fuse would do the same thing.
The fuse trick did get the mic to work for a bit, but the voice activation caused it to hork up again. Sigh.

There is more than one control module, how they interact or store memory is beyond my knowledge but they all get reset with a battery disconnection. Costs you a minute.

My wife has a 2012 Ford Focus ... welcome to the wonderful world of Ford. They do a lot of things right but this isn't one of them. She's driving a Nissan Versa now.:D

Digging into my wife’s system I found a System Reset down in the menu. It resolved her particular issue.

I've got a 2013 Ford Escape. The microphone works, but the problem I have is that on occasion the control panel ceases working. I can still control the volume with the buttons on the steering wheel and the touch screen continues to work. The only way to make it work that I've found is to shut the car off, open a door (the radio keeps working for a few minutes if you don't open a door), close it and restart. Tough to do on the highway. This was NOT one of Ford's better ideas.

My wife has a 2012 Ford Focus ... welcome to the wonderful world of Ford. They do a lot of things right but this isn't one of them. She's driving a Nissan Versa now.:D
You are also on the original version of the Ford/Microsoft Sync system which was pretty advanced for its time as far as auto infotainment systems go. They have had a few versions of Sync since then and it's generally considered to be pretty good these days.

You are also on the original version of the Ford/Microsoft Sync system which was pretty advanced for its time as far as auto infotainment systems go. They have had a few versions of Sync since then and it's generally considered to be pretty good these days.

I was not aware of that. Perhaps the software for that can be updated. They updated the software for the trans computer and it's not as wonky as it was before.

I was not aware of that. Perhaps the software for that can be updated. They updated the software for the trans computer and it's not as wonky as it was before.

Not sure on that. I don't know if it's a hardware or firmware/software issue (possibly all 3 lol). I just know that the each subsequent iteration got better and better reviews. GM's CUE system was a hatchet-job, comparatively (released just after the Ford Sync system). They have managed to fix most of the headaches with that system, too, although it took them longer to get it sorted, imo.

Dealer said to bring it in next week and they’ll take a look. Film at 11...

All cars built by all manufacturers are built with good intentions. But, the bean counters always have a better idea. Instead of using this 12 cent part, we can use this 10 cent part and save money. I mean selling 2 million units that is a savings of 40,000 bucks.!! Look what we are doing to justify our existence.!! (bean counters jump up and dance around, patting their own backs)

My Subaru has hands free calling. It works fine except trying to use voice commands to dial out. Car, ''Please say command''. Me. Call Gallup weather. (AWOS) Car. ''Calling Jerry Mathers.... Number not in memory.'' ad nauseam

All cars built by all manufacturers are built with good intentions. But, the bean counters always have a better idea. Instead of using this 12 cent part, we can use this 10 cent part and save money. I mean selling 2 million units that is a savings of 40,000 bucks.!! Look what we are doing to justify our existence.!! (bean counters jump up and dance around, patting their own backs)

My Subaru has hands free calling. It works fine except trying to use voice commands to dial out. Car, ''Please say command''. Me. Call Gallup weather. (AWOS) Car. ''Calling Jerry Mathers.... Number not in memory.'' ad nauseam

Lol, I think the process goes something like this:

Beancounters: okay, the product/project is coming along pretty well, but we need to increase margins by trimming costs or finding low-cost suppliers in order to make this profitable
Manufacturing Team: okay, we'll work with the engineers to find solutions
Engineers: here's our solution
Manufacturing Team: we also found new suppliers for these parts that save 10%
Beancounters: Perfect, good job guys!
Customer Service: guys, there is negative feedback coming in about the product, it isn't working correctly
Engineers: it's the beancounters' fault!
Manufacturing Team: yeah, they MADE us do it!
Beancounters: we asked you to find ways to increase margins and find alternate suppliers, we didn't ask you to make substitutions that would generate a warranty nightmare.
Engineers: [stares blankly]
Manufacturing Team: [looks down at floor, tries to avoid attracting attention]
Beancounters: Dammit, you guys do this every time! Go fix it. We'll increase the warranty reserve and put out a statement with the quarterly financials. Marketing, find a way to spin this into a positive.
Marketing: [looks up from phone suddenly] Sorry, could you repeat what you said about the things and the stuff? I didn't hear you because I was tweeting about our next project that isn't even through the design phase yet.

I have two 2012 Fords with sync. It seems to lock up and not respond on occasion. Usually it just comes out of it on its own after a few minutes.

One soft reset method I’ve found that works sometimes is to stop, shut off the car and remove the key, then open and close the drivers door. That seems to make the system turn its self off. Then when you start back up it’s like you rebooted.

I have two 2012 Fords with sync. It seems to lock up and not respond on occasion. Usually it just comes out of it on its own after a few minutes.

One soft reset method I’ve found that works sometimes is to stop, shut off the car and remove the key, then open and close the drivers door. That seems to make the system turn its self off. Then when you start back up it’s like you rebooted.

I seem to recall, back in the day, a joke that sounded similar to the above
"If Microsoft made cars, you would have to reboot them by ..."

the joke is now truth

See post #8 above. My 2013 Ford Escape needs the same reset method when the control panel locks up. As I said there, NOT one of Ford's better ideas (if you are old enough to remember that tag line in their commercials).

Back