The 'Why aren't there any more rant threads?' Rant

What cretin would use anything other than iceberg? Iceberg lettuce is formed in natural wrap shape. And it is pretty tasteless so you get all the goodness of the main ingredients. What's next? Using kale to wrap burgers??

I haven't ranted much today.... but there are several items on my rant list I need to air... after this useless meeting that we are forced to have every month just because it is a monthly meeting. Even though there is usually no good information presented. We have it anyway. Because it is a monthly meeting. Thank god we are all remote now and I can just leave it on in the background and rant about it here....

Aviation rant. Flying a practice approach yesterday, the controller didn't take me downwind far enough. On the 30* intercept to the LOC I intercepted the GS a good bit before the LOC, so was descending (with safety pilot) on the GS and then turning and descending to capture the LOC. Grrrr.

Same controller, second time this has happened.

Aviation rant. Flying a practice approach yesterday, the controller didn't take me downwind far enough. On the 30* intercept to the LOC I intercepted the GS a good bit before the LOC, so was descending (with safety pilot) on the GS and then turning and descending to capture the LOC. Grrrr.

Same controller, second time this has happened.

Sounds like good training to me!

Reactions: YKA
I rant about ranters who rant about the lack of rants.

Amen! Life is great, and I got nothing to complain about. My companies are doing very well, my GF is an awesome woman, love my crazy little 13 week old puppy, I have some great friends, living in a wonderful area, and recently began shopping for whatever ends up becoming my next airplane. Bought an engagement ring, and on the very day when it is exactly 5 years from when we met, plan to ask her to marry me, May cannot come soon enough.

Amen! Life is great, and I got nothing to complain about. My companies are doing very well, my GF is an awesome woman, love my crazy little 13 week old puppy, I have some great friends, living in a wonderful area, and recently began shopping for whatever ends up becoming my next airplane. Bought an engagement ring, and on the very day when it is exactly 5 years from when we met, plan to ask her to marry me, May cannot come soon enough.

Did you accidentally hit reverse on the Garth Brooks tape?

Did you accidentally hit reverse on the Garth Brooks tape?

It was vinyl, i turned it backwards by hand

But truthfully, life is good.

Even meeting my sweetheart was crazy dumb luck, or a blessing from God, depending on what you believe. I went for a motorbike ride alone in May 2016, just to get in a ride. Rode up to a ski resort in winter, and golf resort in summer. Parked my bike, and walked around for an hour or so, decided to go to a pizza shop called Mountain High pizza, they sell it by the slice. They had a sign up saying Sorry for the inconvenience but cash only, debit and credit card machine was down. I got myself a slice and a water, sat down, and the woman next in line didn't have enough cash on her. I got up and went to her and handed her a $10 bill, she said no, i refused to take it back. Once she had her lunch, she gave me the change, and asked if she could join me at the table. Well the rest is history as they say. We spent the rest of the day together, and been a couple ever since.

It was vinyl, i turned it backwards by hand

But truthfully, life is good.

Even meeting my sweetheart was crazy dumb luck, or a blessing from God, depending on what you believe. I went for a motorbike ride alone in May 2016, just to get in a ride. Rode up to a ski resort in winter, and golf resort in summer. Parked my bike, and walked around for an hour or so, decided to go to a pizza shop called Mountain High pizza, they sell it by the slice. They had a sign up saying Sorry for the inconvenience but cash only, debit and credit card machine was down. I got myself a slice and a water, sat down, and the woman next in line didn't have enough cash on her. I got up and went to her and handed her a $10 bill, she said no, i refused to take it back. Once she had her lunch, she gave me the change, and asked if she could join me at the table. Well the rest is history as they say. We spent the rest of the day together, and been a couple ever since.
Sounds like a Hallmark movie.

<congratulations!>

We have a newish Honda that puts the speed limit up on the instrument cluster. But here's the thing - it's not always correct. Sometimes it'll get stuck at an earlier posted speed for several miles before it figures out what the new speed is. I've even had it display 70mph while I was sitting at a stoplight in a 25mph zone. Not sure if it's related to the car's ability to access the internet or what, but it's a classic case of bad data being WORSE than no data at all. Of course the manual says the speed is informational only and the driver is always required to be aware of the posted speed, but if I KNEW WHAT THE POSTED SPEED WAS, I WOULDN'T NEED IT DISPLAYED ON MY DASH NOW WOULD I YOU BUNCH OF ****ing ****s!

Thanks, I feel better now. :)

We have a newish Honda that puts the speed limit up on the instrument cluster. But here's the thing - it's not always correct. Sometimes it'll get stuck at an earlier posted speed for several miles before it figures out what the new speed is. I've even had it display 70mph while I was sitting at a stoplight in a 25mph zone. Not sure if it's related to the car's ability to access the internet or what, but it's a classic case of bad data being WORSE than no data at all. Of course the manual says the speed is informational only and the driver is always required to be aware of the posted speed, but if I KNEW WHAT THE POSTED SPEED WAS, I WOULDN'T NEED IT DISPLAYED ON MY DASH NOW WOULD I YOU BUNCH OF ****ing ****s!

And it's sending all that data home to Honda and perhaps on to various government agencies.

And it's sending all that data home to Honda and perhaps on to various government agencies.
And one of those government agencies is the state police department who'll set up a speed trap with a temporary lower speed limit in the hopes someone will use the one listed in the car so they can make ticket money :devil:

I'm sure there is a way to disconnect your car from the Internet. Of course "The Man" is watching. But, The Man can get speed and I think positional data as well off the onboard vehicle diagnostics. I've read that toll roads exist where the time is stamped on entry and exit, and if your calculated average speed is above the limit, you automatically get a ticket.

Oh, and those little Fastpass thingies. The newer ones have a switch for one, two or three occupants, and if you get scanned in aHOV lane with the switch set to one, you get a ticket.

What's with people and supermarket parking lots?

Does a mom and her two kids really need to march down the center of the row, perfectly positioned as a walking roadblock?
At least they help to keep the speed down. At the other extreme, the people that drive down the row at speeds better suited for the interstate. I'm half-way backed out of the spot and Speed Racer comes zooming past. My car hit the brakes just before I did. Odd feeling the brake pedal move under my foot like that. I thought that driver was going to hit me or the cars on the other side. It's a good thing mom and her kids finished their march. Maybe not- all of them might have learned a lesson.
As I departed, I noticed they put the handicapped parking spaces in the most-traveled row in the parking lot. The spots are close to the entrance, but a presumably mobility-limited person needs to keep moving themselves and looking in all directions to safely back out of that spot to avoid the pedestrians who ignore a back-up light, and everyone driving or on foot who don't want to wait on a vehicle backing up.

@Sac Arrow , feel free to critique.

What's with people and supermarket parking lots?

Does a mom and her two kids really need to march down the center of the row, perfectly positioned as a walking roadblock?
At least they help to keep the speed down. At the other extreme, the people that drive down the row at speeds better suited for the interstate. I'm half-way backed out of the spot and Speed Racer comes zooming past. My car hit the brakes just before I did. Odd feeling the brake pedal move under my foot like that. I thought that driver was going to hit me or the cars on the other side. It's a good thing mom and her kids finished their march. Maybe not- all of them might have learned a lesson.
As I departed, I noticed they put the handicapped parking spaces in the most-traveled row in the parking lot. The spots are close to the entrance, but a presumably mobility-limited person needs to keep moving themselves and looking in all directions to safely back out of that spot to avoid the pedestrians who ignore a back-up light, and everyone driving or on foot who don't want to wait on a vehicle backing up.

@Sac Arrow , feel free to critique.

Seems to be an accurate assessment although your rant could use slightly more melodrama. But yeah, I've seen some WTF handicap spaces:

Capture1.JPG

Okay why do we stick the handicap spots way out in the lot and away from the door when there are doorside spots available?

Capture2.JPG

WTF do we need so many handicap spots here? This is a gym, not a convalescent hospital.

Okay why do we stick the handicap spots way out in the lot and away from the door when there are doorside spots available?

Hard to tell from that picture, but they may have needed the extra sidewalk width to accommodate the ramp up from street level.

WTF do we need so many handicap spots here? This is a gym, not a convalescent hospital.

Yes, exactly! And at home improvement stores! I’m not suggesting 0, but doesn’t need to be same ratio as restaurants and other retail.

Hard to tell from that picture, but they may have needed the extra sidewalk width to accommodate the ramp up from street level.

Certainly, that would be a valid reason for doing so, but no, it's all pretty flat.

The supermarket parking lots around here are a s***show. I used to pull front end in so my trunk would be exposed. Making it easier to put groceries in. After being almost t-boned several times trying to back out, I have taken to just backing in.

The supermarket parking lots around here are a s***show. I used to pull front end in so my trunk would be exposed. Making it easier to put groceries in. After being almost t-boned several times trying to back out, I have taken to just backing in.

That is exactly why I don't park in a storefront space in any other time than when the place first opens in the morning. The corridor through the frontage spaces is the busiest, and things get stupid. No, I'd rather park out a little bit, walk a short distance, and avoid the stress and drama.

[Micro-RANT]I went to McD's tonight for a McRib before they are gone. It seemed like a half gallon of BBQ sauce was on it. It was hard to eat do to the mess.[End Micro-RANT]

I'm sure there is a way to disconnect your car from the Internet

The first thing I did when I got my GM Car with OnStar is take it apart and amputate the cellular modem from the OnStar box. Had to slightly adjust the wiring for the GPS antenna it shared with the radio but other than that no problems.

The first thing I did when I got my GM Car with OnStar is take it apart and amputate the cellular modem from the OnStar box. Had to slightly adjust the wiring for the GPS antenna it shared with the radio but other than that no problems.
You are a good person.

New RANT for the day -

[RANT] project manager of a small, piddling project has been calling two hour meetings to get a new development effort off the ground. She needs to call these meetings since she has no idea what she is doing regarding the subject matter area.... My teams will need to do the work and the know what to do, but this person doesn't get it..... This is not the rant, although I guess it is a mini-RANT. THIS is the RANT- she had a two hour meeting on the books for today with a ton of people who don't need to be involved.... Then she sends an email saying she will be on leave today. But please go ahead and have the meeting without her and fill her in on Monday.... So we all will join a virtual meeting and virtually stare at each other while nobody leads the meeting? Of course there is no agenda, so I honestly have no idea what we are supposed to talk about. I'm gonna join it just for the grins, I think. {/RANT]

A number of years ago I sat through a meeting lead by a Major up from the DC area. The purpose of the meeting was to prepare for a later meeting and *that* meeting was just a "pre-meeting" for some meeting later in the future.

Yep, a pre-meeting for a pre-meeting to a meeting.

After the meeting (the pre-pre-meeting), a co-worker and I looked at each other and said "what the **** that all about?" <sigh>

I suppose you don't carry a modern cell phone—you know, the ones where you can "turn off" location services, but you really can't?

I hatred meetings. Unless they occur in the gentlemen's club, where the topic is donations to Charity.

If it works like my i3, it uses the cameras for the auto-cruise-control to actually look for speed limit signs. Sometimes it misses them (or blocked by car, weird light, whatevs), and you get the stale speed limit still displayed.

I turned the feature off myself. It doesn't rely on an internet connection. No idea if it reports its findings to the mothership :)

A number of years ago I sat through a meeting lead by a Major up from the DC area. The purpose of the meeting was to prepare for a later meeting and *that* meeting was just a "pre-meeting" for some meeting later in the future.

Yep, a pre-meeting for a pre-meeting to a meeting.

After the meeting (the pre-pre-meeting), a co-worker and I looked at each other and said "what the **** that all about?" <sigh>
It's the model for a Dilbert strip.

It's the model for a Dilbert strip.

A number of years ago I worked for a very large corporation, and at our site someone developed the concept of a date for a date, which caught on like wildfire in management. IOW, "On Tuesday the 26th I'll give you a date for when our dept will have the results" or whatever was needed. A date for a date, that's kicking the can down the road in style...

A date for a date, that's kicking the can down the road in style

Somebody probably got promoted or was given a raise for this. It has upper management potential written all over it.

New RANT for the day -

[RANT] project manager of a small, piddling project has been calling two hour meetings to get a new development effort off the ground. She needs to call these meetings since she has no idea what she is doing regarding the subject matter area.... My teams will need to do the work and the know what to do, but this person doesn't get it..... This is not the rant, although I guess it is a mini-RANT. THIS is the RANT- she had a two hour meeting on the books for today with a ton of people who don't need to be involved.... Then she sends an email saying she will be on leave today. But please go ahead and have the meeting without her and fill her in on Monday.... So we all will join a virtual meeting and virtually stare at each other while nobody leads the meeting? Of course there is no agenda, so I honestly have no idea what we are supposed to talk about. I'm gonna join it just for the grins, I think. {/RANT]

The merits of a Big green egg versus regular bbq.

Big green egg

My neighbor has one. It is pretty much all he talks about. Every time I see him, it's always about some new technique for cooking pork or beef or chicken... new smoking technology... new methods for infusing flavor... blah blah.... At least his stuff comes out tasting good. Usually my reward for listening to him drone on is some pretty good smoked food...

Back