iPad type - What are you flying with?

I'm getting back into flying (I've had my PPL for about 10 years) more regularly now and I'm new to Foreflight. WOW is all I have to say. I don't have an iPad (yet) but was curious what the consensus was on the iPad mini? Specifically one with data or is data not necessary?

My situation: I'm an A/C renter so I'll be moving around in different planes. Mainly C172's for now. I'm not a fan of the yoke mount so I'm thinking left side just off the panel suction cup mount. I think the iPad mini would be a nice size.

What are your thoughts on getting data with the iPad? What does data get me in the cockpit? I've heard sometimes you can't get data at altitude but can't confirm this.

I just got iPad mini when I got my cfii and it works great I had an air before and felt it was too big

That's what I do, when needed. The iPhone and the iPad seem to know about each other.... in a friendly way. So when my iPad is close to my iPhone and iPad is not on a wifi network already, it will prompt to connect to iPhone's hotspot.... sort of romantic, in a way. Like two devices, bonded by love for each other and radio waves.

Using an iPhone as a hotspot works really well.

One warning. You may remember we have had to come up with ways to get Internet at our TN home*. One solution was to use my iPhone as a hotspot and log in with our Apple TV. One month we got a message that we were about to hit our monthly hotspot data cap and would be throttled. We expected it would be like the warnings we get when our phones are maxing out on data caps that are barely noticeable when they hit. But no - once throttled the hot spot became virtually unusable for the remainder of the month, literally taking a minute or more to open a simple web page.

That said, if your hotspot usage is mainly for aviation data and the like it should never be an issue. But if you used it to, let’s say, stream video while waiting for weather to clear, it might be. I think each hour of standard definition video uses about 1GB of data.

*Right now we are using a cellular modem that utilizes an AT&T SIMM for internet, and it works well enough, but is a little expensive at $140/month. We’re eagerly awaiting Elon Musk’s StarLink service to our area, which we’ll jump on when we can.

I use an iPad knee pad. I can't stand really anything on my yoke.

If you are going to be flying a 172, there is just enough room for a suction cup mount on the front window on any Cessna. The 11" Pro is big enough to be legible from the left seat without having to remove it from the mount, which is nice for IFR.

Side Mount.jpg

there is just enough room for a suction cup mount on the front window on any Cessna

To each their own, but that would drive me nuts trying to look over to the right to read a plate when on an approach. Then having to look back to the left to make sure I was on loc/GS... Looking left and right and then left again... I'll pass.

Question, though - With all the glass in that 172, why even use an iPad?

Reactions: YKA
To each their own, but that would drive me nuts trying to look over to the right to read a plate when on an approach. Then having to look back to the left to make sure I was on loc/GS... Looking left and right and then left again... I'll pass.

Brief the approach, follow the instruments. Not much head movement involved.

Question, though - With all the glass in that 172, why even use an iPad?

ForeFlight, Stratus, backup GPS navigation, ADS-B/FIS-B, and AHRS. Was that a serious question?

In my old 172 the I pad mini 5 is mounted in the dash. All the vacuume system has been removed. VHF capable fight only . Use ForeFlight app with stratus . Works for my mission.

I purchased a Mini 5 as soon as it was available. However, my eyes are having a harder time with it nowadays so I don't use it as much except in my personal aircraft. I like the bigger screen now. 10 (even 5) years ago the Mini worked great for me.

Back