Compass Rose in Florida?

Eric Lehto

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Lombard
Anyone know of an airport in FL (preferably central FL) with a good compass rose? My correction card went missing and if I can't find it, I'm going to need to do a compass swing. None of my local haunts seem to have a good rose and my local avionics shop said they have the equipment to do it but it would be costly. They recommended finding a good rose somewhere.

FYI: to perform a legit compass swing you need a certified compass rose and an AP sign off.

True statement.

I may have to track down the airport authority for Ormond Beach to check the status of their rose, thanks John.

Last edited:
If not certified there are other means... see AC43-215.

Yeah, I'm familiar, which is why I asked my avionics shop first (after finding no roses close by). The situation I'm in, a good rose is the best plan. Thanks though.

Just use your GPS. It is WAY faster and more accurate.
Airpath Compass Co recommends it.

"""""NOTE: If aircraft is equipped, GPS can be used (allow for deviation) to establish reference headings for compass compensation. This technique will eliminate possible errors caused by gyro precession.""""

For any questions please contact Airpath Instrument Company at the address or phone numbers listed above.

http://www.airpathcompass.com/J30/index.php

My A&P glues a copy of the compass card into the logs.

I think DeLand (KDED) has one as well.

Just use your GPS. It is WAY faster and more accurate.
Airpath Compass Co recommends it.

That method gives me way too much credit in my ability to fly a consistent heading while also adjusting the screws and recording compass readings. Let alone finding smooth enough air....

My A&P glues a copy of the compass card into the logs.

Yeah, I thought of that after the fact. Was intending to re-scour my logs when I went back out to the hangar to look for the missing card. I don't remember ever seeing it in the logs during any of my previous reviews of them.

It looks beautiful on Google Earth.

Yeah it does. I saw an older one on the satellite views as well. New Smyrna Beach has one painted by the 99's. My airport (KTIX) has one that looks like it was painted by the 99's when they first started their air marking.

Any chance you have a fairly recent pic inside your airplane taken in high-res? You may be able to zoom in on the card, if visible.... Maybe be good enough for you to just print out a new card based on the image. Just sayin..........

That method gives me way too much credit in my ability to fly a consistent heading while also adjusting the screws and recording compass readings. Let alone finding smooth enough air....

You don't do it in the air. On the ground!!

Is why it is so simple a pilot can do it.

Could work. It'll just look like a drunken sailor is taxiing the plane around the apron.

So for you, that looks different? Hmm. I have more work to do... :)

I guess it depends kinda how much time you want to spend? You can get blank cards from Spruce or print one off the web. The main deal is to have a card displayed, it’s not a ‘safety of flight’ issue.

The ‘hangar fairies’ seem to help out with mine.

Bartow (KBOW) has one at the southeast corner on the taxiway between 27L and 27R.

Anyone know of an airport in FL (preferably central FL) with a good compass rose? My correction card went missing and if I can't find it, I'm going to need to do a compass swing. None of my local haunts seem to have a good rose and my local avionics shop said they have the equipment to do it but it would be costly. They recommended finding a good rose somewhere.

What exactly does "costly" mean?

In Canada, we do compass swings yearly. Two people, one certified land compass and about 30 minutes typically. And a copy of the correction card in the tech record, just in case.

I now have a burning desire to get a rose, you know the flowering kind, named a "Compass Rose".

Just to mess with google searches.

Maybe I'm not as nice as I thought?

upload_2021-6-20_17-56-16.png

Could work. It'll just look like a drunken sailor is taxiing the plane around the apron.

I’m not sure if it’s what is being referred to, but I used GPS coordinates to first establish a N/S line on the ground at my airport and from that made a crude compass rose I could then position my plane on to swing the compass. Being Experimental, I think that’s kosher.

I made the windsock a GPS waypoint, then made two marks on the apron directly south of it. That became my N/S line. Then drew an E/W line perpendicular. Seemed to work well enough.

Can't even remember the last time I used my compass in flight, much less the correction card. Love me some old school tech; I fly a tube-and-fabric taildragger. But is it really necessary for the FAA to force pilots to jump through hoops and spend money to identify 1 or 2 degrees deviation on a device with a scale marked to 5 degrees precision?
PXL_20210115_171318611~2.jpg

Can't even remember the last time I used my compass in flight, much less the correction card. Love me some old school tech; I fly a tube-and-fabric taildragger. But is it really necessary for the FAA to force pilots to jump through hoops and spend money to identify 1 or 2 degrees deviation on a device with a scale marked to 5 degrees precision?
View attachment 97712
Yah most of my cross country flight have been IFR (I follow roads). Of course in SE AK there are few roads so it's IFC (I follow channels)...:rolleyes:

But is it really necessary for the FAA to force pilots to jump through hoops and spend money to identify 1 or 2 degrees deviation on a device with a scale marked to 5 degrees precision?
They seem to think so.

The 99s are well known for painting compass rose's at many airports. Find the local 99s chapter, ask where there is a compass rose. There are 10 in Florida:

You guys realize this thread is 2 and a half years old; right?

Back