Stop Win 10 Home from updating.

bluesideup

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
bluesideup
Hi everyone.

Does any one know how to reliably stop it from updating?

I’ve got the .bat sc.exe config wuauserv start= disabled, file running on Start up, I disabled the Windows Update in services.msc, set up metered WiFi, time of update to when the system is off, but yet just about every day I start the system I get the message the Windows Update is already running, and multiple days the system takes a long time to shut down because they are trying to update while I check Email.. and it’s incomplete because I turn my Network access off after I use the Internet.

After every update they mess up all the performance of many of my apps and I am at the point where if anyone knows of way to stop them I am willing to participate. Maybe a legal action is the only way to do it?

I’ve been dealing with computers / PCs since before the PC existed and I’ve never encountered the type of intrusion and loss of privacy that I’ve seen lately from some of these large companies. We need to find a legal avenue to stop them.

Thanks.

I understand Home is more difficult to wrangle like that. I Use "Shut Up 10!" by O&O on my Win10 installs.

Ridiculous to need software like that to wrest control of your own operating system, but, here we are.

I took the lazy way out and just upgrade everything to W10Pro and use GPO to disable it.

Tell Win10 you have a metered connection, and it won't download the updates. Oh, you did that, nevermind. I have pro, and have every box metered and it doesn't download.

Thank you everyone, for your input.
I had O&O for a while and interfered with my doing away with Cortana whom I put in a crypt 1000 miles deep somewhere in China that will never be found. I will give it another try.
It got a lot more annoying since December that tries to download in the background without my permission, then because it does not complete the updates they want, because I disconnect from Inet before it gets done. Next time I start the system it can take up to half an hour, or longer, I normally cold boot in about 30 seconds, to reverse itself but it always leaves some trash that is impossible to remove without messing your system up.

It’s difficult. There’s various scripts but MSFT will continue to change things and fight Home version users since their stated goal is continuous update.

It’s a big enough PITA to stop them properly on a specific version on corporate/Pro versions we are about to stop fighting it. Just going to alarm on any outdated or insecure versions and let both MSFT and Apple continue their insane breaking of everything. When they take down the whole company we’ll just blame it on them. Let the execs decide if they want to pursue worthless litigation for damages.

I’m out. Don’t even care anymore. Have every other vendor now releasing nearly weekly for absolute **** code quality and security patches. The entire industry security model is broken and unsustainable.

Windows 10 Home. Setting internet as a metered connection works on our 3 computers. We will get a notice that updates are available but they are not downloaded.

Back