Memorable Resturants on/near field

Bean Outdoors

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Bean Outdoors
As the title mentions what are some on field(or within walking distance, we can throw in with free transportation) restaurants you would recommend.

I will throw out a few Ive done

BQ1-Pikin Pig---on the field
KSSI-Southern Soul BBQ- .5 mile walking distance

05C - Griffith, IN: Mi Tierra, great Mexican Food on the airport.
OEB - Coldwater, MI Prop Blast Cafe - on airport (temp closed due to the state saying transmission only happens at restaurants)
JXN - Jackson, MI - Airport Restaurant and Spirits - on airport (you'll have to eat in your plane because of the state)
RNP - Owosso, MI - JoLee's Crosswind, Cafe - on airport (you'll have to eat in your plane because of the state)
HTL - Houghton Lake, MI - Spikehorn Restaurant & Lounge - short walk (you'll have to eat in your plane because of the state)

These are all on my rotation. Well, the last 4 were.

KVBT - Bentonville, AR
KHUT - Hutchinson, KS
1K1 - Denton, KS (Wichita)

We’ve had these threads several times. Flying Machine at KLZU and Runway Cafe at KGMU.

We, maybe weird, prefer to grab a crew car and visit towns/restaurants nearby. Feels more like full trip and provides the fam with a bit bigger break. Done that a lot.

KAPA Perfect Landing.

You need a large data file to keep them updated.

Air Transport Command at Wilmington DE, ILG. Long gone for about 10 years now, they had a C-47 out front and a few military vehicles in front of the French Chateau.
It wasn't the food as much as all the old photos covering the walls. All from WWII and many of WASP's and the planes. They had unit patches and other memorabilia too.
It was a nice break from school next door, and windows overlooking a nearby taxiway and airport.

t.jpg

there's a place in NC where during the summer they have a little ice cream truck thing. I have to look up where it is, and not sure I'd call it 'memorable' but if you're passing thru and it's wicked hot out and you're looking to make your wife or kids happy.............ICE CREAM!

EDIT: Sam's Flying Scoops at KJNX. open seasonally, or something like that.

Last edited:
PeachState (GA2) Barnstormers Grill

A sloping grass 2400' runway where everything from RVs, cubs, Skylanes, and Cirruses can be found on nice days for breakfast and/or lunch. There is a DC3 stationed there that is flown to various places from time to time to be used in movies and what not. A small museum is attached, as well as a youth aviation workshop, and a few other goodies.

More of a mini fly in place than an airport. And if you really like it, you can buy a house and a hanger on the property.

Triple Tree, SC00. as of now, the South Carolina Breakfast Club is scheduled there for August 22. that place is memorable fo sho.

Ozzie's Diner at KOUN (Norman, OK)
Enrique's Mexican at KPNC (Ponca City, OK)
Jake's Joint at KADM (Ardmore, OK)

Barnstormers as noted above is a great experience. One place I’ll spend more time preflighting, flying and at tie down than driving. I still seem to fly every time.

Waypoint Cafe at KCMA for breakfast/ brunch
Ragin Crawfish near KOXR for seafood boil

I use fly2lunch.com; it's fairly complete, although it seems like a lot of people don't bother to update info.

I'll second the on field restaurants at Rochelle (RPJ) and Alton (ALN) are worth going out of your way for. I have a soft spot for Mattoon (MTO) as it's local to me.

Louisville (LOU) has a fancy French restaurant called Le Relais on the field that's worth a special trip. Makes a great date night with your significant other.

Louisville (LOU) has a fancy French restaurant called Le Relais on the field that's worth a special trip. Makes a great date night with your significant other.
Good find. Bring a tie and jacket. It is in the old 1930's Art Deco terminal building - extremely cool restaurant.

What if we don't have one of those? Can we go alone?

LOU is my new Louisville destination after Atlantic went fee crazy this year at SDF.

KJGG Williamsburg...I understand from a recent thread here that the restaurant is still open. Used to be a nice setting for watching the runway...probably still is

KSGJ Saint Augustine... the restaurant recently reopened under a new name, new owner I assume...I've not tried it. When I was there a while back under the old operator, it was a cave... you couldn't see the runway or ramp from inside, nor while seated on the very small patio. Might as well have been at some place out by the highway.... Hopefully they opened it up to make it an AIRPORT restaurant!

KJGG Williamsburg...I understand from a recent thread here that the restaurant is still open. Used to be a nice setting for watching the runway...probably still is
Beat me to it.

Charly’s at JGG is probably my favorite airport restaurant. They have indeed stayed open during the pandemic and are asking folks to keep coming for support. I think they are currently open Wed-Sun, but best to check before you go.

used to be able to order burgers and fries from the tower at Tinker AFB ... oops, sorry .... sea stories always start off with "Now this is no ..."

KFIN has Hijackers Cafe, on the field, outdoor patio facing the airport. Decent burgers and the like. Open now except Mondays. The ATIS even says "restaurant closed" on Monday.

Self Serve fuel is out of service, but I believe they are honoring the SS price from the truck.

It’s been a few years since I have been there but the sunset grill at Lincoln Park airport (N07) is really nice and right on the runway at a small GA only airport.

Can’t believe no one has mentioned:

Lambert’s Cafe, Sikeston MO.

they send a van and treat you like a VIP.
Good one-we went just a couple weeks ago. Go hungry, as in "I'm only eating one meal today" hungry.
One caveat:if the van doesn't show up within 15min, they forgot about you, call them back. I spent my time drooling over the F4 Phantom they have on display in the park next to the airport....the family was less amused.

We had the 94th aero squadron and 8th bomb group etc. A chain of airport themed restaurants. All the ones I visited were very good, with great ambiance. Sadly, I know of none anymore.
So many place that I used to know, but been a while so no idea if they still exist. The burgers were good @ Pueblo, but the line girls' was what you went to see. The pies @ West Yelowstone, and breakfast at Flagler.
Many memories.

used to be able to order burgers and fries from the tower at Tinker AFB ... oops, sorry .... sea stories always start off with "Now this is no ..."
Ahhh... sad that you can't get a Tinker-burger anymore.

Lots of good ones around JKA and DTS. Elevation Chophouse at RYY is good, too.

We had the 94th aero squadron and 8th bomb group etc. A chain of airport themed restaurants. All the ones I visited were very good, with great ambiance. Sadly, I know of none anymore.
So many place that I used to know, but been a while so no idea if they still exist. The burgers were good @ Pueblo, but the line girls' was what you went to see. The pies @ West Yelowstone, and breakfast at Flagler.
Many memories.
h

The 57th Fighter Group Restaurant at PDK (Atlanta) is still in operation. Park at Epps, they will give you a ride and waive your ramp fee if you show them the receipt.

Can’t believe no one has mentioned:

Lambert’s Cafe, Sikeston MO.

they send a van and treat you like a VIP.

there’s also a great little restaurant at the Payson AZ Airport, at the ramp.

Catalina Island has a restaurant on field, too.
Ask @cowman about his Lambert's story. There's a thread somewhere :D

Evil, whadya got along the gulf coast there, anything worth mentioning here?
There was a Lamberts over by Foley, AL (5R4) that would come give you a ride and treated you well.

KNEW here at Lakefront, New Orleans had a good place in the very cool terminal building but it is temp closed because the head chef died a few months ago.

Gulfport, MS (KGPT) had a courtesy car and some decent stuff around. I like the Blow Fly Inn

Stennis, MS (KHSA) has a lunch counter in their terminal building with good food.

Acadiana (KARA) and Lake Charles (KLCH) - both in LA - have good local food there.

Bay Minette, MS (1R8) has food, you can call your order in on the CTAF if you know what you want. (please don't garbage up the radios more than the military dudes already do).

I'll see if I can think of more...

Gulf Coasters:

NEW - New Orleans - Messina’s at the Terminal (can park at Flightline or Signature). Great New Orleans food. Call in advance to see if they’re open because of Covid. The Art Deco terminal at NEW is historically restored and beautiful to walk through.

HSA - Bay St. Louis, MS/Stennis - $1 meal ticket for those who buy fuel. Great restaurant on site and reasonable fuel prices. Only open Mon-Fri

JKA - Gulf Shores, AL - Lulu’s (owned by Jimmy Buffett’s sister). Walking distance or < 5 min drive with a courtesy car. A great stop for those with kids as there are a ton of activities for them while you wait.

All on field

Midfield Cafe - KASH
Flight Deck - KEEN
Pilot Cove Cafe - KSFM

Back