Best way to mount an iPad Pro 11 in the Mooney

Bill

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
This page intentionally left blank
Not exactly avionics, but seems like a good place to ask. Any fellow Mooney pilots have a good recommendation on where to mount an iPad 11 in the cockpit? That is one of my goals this year is to come up with a good mounting scheme.

I wouldn’t know where to mount something that ginormous

I wouldn’t know where to mount something that ginormous

Hmmm. Clearly you need a plane with more space inside. :D
Just sayin'

Not exactly avionics, but seems like a good place to ask. Any fellow Mooney pilots have a good recommendation on where to mount an iPad 11 in the cockpit? That is one of my goals this year is to come up with a good mounting scheme.

Friend of mine with an M20E used a Ram yoke mount for his 10, but not sure if the larger one will fit.

Last edited:
I prefer my iPad in my lap, but I don't have a pro

I have mounted a full size iPad on the passenger yoke (in a Cessna). Adjusted the tilt toward the pilot seat. Wasn't ideal, but other than being heavy(ish) it got the job done without being in my way.

aera 660 on the yoke... integrates with your other garmin stuf (if you have it...). I like the size of it for the yoke... other stuf just was too dang big. works great for traffic. I like an ipad on the kneeboard for redundancy and charts... hard to beat.
good luck with this

I fly with an iPad Pro 11. I love it. I mostly just keep it in the door pocket and use it as needed for looking at charts or approach plates. My eyes are not as good as they used to be so I “upgraded “ from my old iPad mini. It sure makes it easier to see. But I fly 182. I’m not sure you can fit a iPad Pro 11 in a Mooney? Might be too wide! Lol

Lap for me, full size iPad. I’ve only ever had two sun overheats.

aera 660 on the yoke... integrates with your other garmin stuf (if you have it...). I like the size of it for the yoke... other stuf just was too dang big. works great for traffic. I like an ipad on the kneeboard for redundancy and charts... hard to beat.
good luck with this

Aera on the panel (poor mans mfd),
Mini on the yoke, I have mounted horizontally in picture, but switch back to vertical.
Kneeboard is best option for full size, but looking down in IMC is not ideal.

2127c15529b0df9028114f85860a8650.jpg

Aera on the panel (poor mans mfd),
Mini on the yoke, I have mounted horizontally in picture, but switch back to vertical.
Kneeboard is best option for full size, but looking down in IMC is not ideal.

^^^ This.
Nice set-up!

IFR in IMC, 100% agree with on the yoke.

VFR in my taildragger, it's on a kneeboard.
VMC in the Aztec I will sometimes put it in a Ram mount to the left side of the panel at the base of the 'A'-pillar.

Has anyone who uses suction cups regularly ever notice any scratches or marks in their plexiglass?

I’ll give credit where credit is due!... I got the mounting solution from Kevin ;)

I have one on my yoke in the 182. Ryan has seen it

Sorry to drag up an old thread.

I have used an iPad and foreflight for ten years now. I looked into all sorts of mounts for both my Cessna 140 and my Mooney and I have yet to find anything better than a soft rubber case that sticks very well to my lap.

Sorry to drag up an old thread.

I have used an iPad and foreflight for ten years now. I looked into all sorts of mounts for both my Cessna 140 and my Mooney and I have yet to find anything better than a soft rubber case that sticks very well to my lap.

In turbulence hopefully the soft rubber case with protect it.

FE5FCEBA-2B7C-4AF2-946E-0AACDB5482A9.jpeg I’ve been in some pretty rough air and it stayed in my lap. The rubber case probably protects the pad better than a solid mount that conducts vibration into it. In turbulence damage to the iPad is not nearly as serious as a situation where it gets loose and jams the rudder pedals or something.

The rubber case I use is designed for child use so it probably offers more mechanical shock protection than about anything. It is a very sticky rubber so it clings to your pant legs and doesn’t slip around.

Last edited:
View attachment 94288 I’ve been in some pretty rough air and it stayed in my lap. The rubber case probably protects the pad better than a solid mount that conducts vibration into it. In turbulence damage to the iPad is not nearly as serious as a situation where it gets loose and jams the rudder pedals or something.

The rubber case I use is designed for child use so it probably offers more mechanical shock protection than about anything. It is a very sticky rubber so it clings to your pant legs and doesn’t slip around.

Do you remember the brand/model by chance?

No, I don’t remember. I bought it about three years ago. I googled around and looked on Amazon, but the children’s cases now have odd handles on them. I saw one flat one but it was $40 and may not be soft rubber.

Sorry I can’t help more than that. If you’re googling, try children’s cases. That’s what this one is.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-Apple-...4a35a06980e322bd41f4|ampid:PL_CLK|clp:2334524

This one might be worth a try. On eBay I searched “rubber iPad cover”. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Back