Pingstation: ADS-B fears Commericalized?

This is far from the first ADS-B ground receiver. There's a wide variety of commercial and not-so-commercial (DIY) options that have been available for years.

This is far from the first ADS-B ground receiver. There's a wide variety of commercial and not-so-commercial (DIY) options that have been available for years.

:yeahthat:

More good here than nefarious. Given ADS-B in is a benefit to the pilot, and in this case the drone pilot is on the ground.

Prior to ForeFlight integrating ADS-B with ground internet, I'd toss a Stratus 2 on the roof eve and watch traffic.

https://www.avweb.com/avionics/adsb/uavionix-launches-pingstation-2-ads-b-receiver/

So... isn’t this what everyone was worried about? I don’t really know how it’s different than Flightaware, but it allows you to track ADS-B from the ground. Lots of ostensible good reasons to do so, but I can think of a number of bad ones, too.
I've got two of them in my hangar. One listening to UAT and the other to 1090. Let's my wife (and all of FlightAware) see me almost all the way to the ground, where before she'd lose me 5 miles or more out depending on my altitude.

Here's a snapshot of what I'm picking up currently on 1090...
Screen Shot 2021-01-13 at 1.19.57 PM.jpg

If "they" want to follow you, I think ADS-B is the least of your worries. Start by throwing away your iPhone.

Yes.

Or at least disable location services for most phone apps. Especially apps you download for free; many of them make their money by selling your location.

Sale of your location happens many times each day via these phone apps. Not sure if anybody makes money by selling your personally identified location obtained by ADSB.

Spending most of my time in Cubs and uncontrolled fields and airspace, in all honesty I have not bothered to learn anything about ADS-B, not the legal, not the political, not the practical.
I was flying the Cherokee yesterday. There is a sign on the panel: "Do NOT turn on ADS-B unless absolutely required."
It turns out some people who hate airports, and I use that word in the loosest possible sense, watch ADS-B and report all manner of crap to the FAA.
I guess that's all I really need to know about ADS-B.

Spending most of my time in Cubs and uncontrolled fields and airspace, in all honesty I have not bothered to learn anything about ADS-B, not the legal, not the political, not the practical.
I was flying the Cherokee yesterday. There is a sign on the panel: "Do NOT turn on ADS-B unless absolutely required."
It turns out some people who hate airports, and I use that word in the loosest possible sense, watch ADS-B and report all manner of crap to the FAA.
I guess that's all I really need to know about ADS-B.

If your aircraft is equipped (Sounds like it was) then it's definitely against regulations to fly without it on. Not saying you, or other renters, are going to get in any trouble. But aviation is built on pilots following the regs.

Mount Pleasant, Texas. Not sure how I could hide that even if I wanted to.

So what, exactly, are you afraid of?

Back