What Commercial ground school should I go with

Wilkins Vicioso

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Wil
Hi all,

I just received my instrument rating and would like to jump right into commercial. I have 400 hours and all the commercial requirements met. I just need a recommendation for a commercial ground school, not test prep as I used Sheppard air for that and aced my written. I mean an actual commercial ground school. What do you all suggest? Is King’s the way to go? Or do I have other options?

I did my commercial right after my instrument. I used the King course to prep for the written. But I didn't do any kind of ground program. I don't really remember even doing any ground instruction with my CFII but I can't swear that we didn't. Is it required?

Sporty's has a relatively new commercial ground school as well. I haven't checked it out, but if it is like their other courses, it is a solid overview but not what I would consider particularly deep. Honestly if you are going to use Sheppard for the written, I recommend getting a copy of the ASA Commercial Oral Exam Guide and get really comfortable with that book. Get to know aircraft systems in general to a deeper level and definitely know your airplane's (the plane you plan to use for the checkride) systems backward and forward. Study AC 120-12 and understand the terms "common carriage" and "holding out". Then drill the commercial maneuvers.

Not entirely sure why you are looking for ground school if you've passed the written which is what they are generally geared for.

Not entirely sure why you are looking for ground school if you've passed the written which is what they are generally geared for.

Because while Sheppard Air is great for the written, it does not prepare you well for the oral portion of the checkride.

I used the Gleim Commercial kit for checkride prep and Sheppard Air for the written. Worked well.

I did my commercial right after my instrument. I used the King course to prep for the written. But I didn't do any kind of ground program. I don't really remember even doing any ground instruction with my CFII but I can't swear that we didn't. Is it required?
Thanks for your response. I was thinking the same thing. Do I even need to do a ground school? My instructor said I just go up and fly the maneuvers.

Sporty's has a relatively new commercial ground school as well. I haven't checked it out, but if it is like their other courses, it is a solid overview but not what I would consider particularly deep. Honestly if you are going to use Sheppard for the written, I recommend getting a copy of the ASA Commercial Oral Exam Guide and get really comfortable with that book. Get to know aircraft systems in general to a deeper level and definitely know your airplane's (the plane you plan to use for the checkride) systems backward and forward. Study AC 120-12 and understand the terms "common carriage" and "holding out". Then drill the commercial maneuvers.
Thanks for your response. That sounds like a solid plan. I may just do that!

I was looking at having an understanding of the license. Want to be prepared. Perhaps commercial is less in depth than instrument and private. I’m new to it and just want to make sure I go into the Checkride prepared.

Because while Sheppard Air is great for the written, it does not prepare you well for the oral portion of the checkride.

I used the Gleim Commercial kit for checkride prep and Sheppard Air for the written. Worked well.
My sentiments exactly. Thanks for your response. I just want to make sure I cover all bases.

As frequently said..... For the written, do Sheppard Air.

Oral Exam preparation
  • Take the ACS and make a colored highlight in the corner of each page that deals with the oral examination questions
  • for the first pass, On each page/task, go line by line trying to identify where in the FAR’s or the various FAA handbooks you can find the answer. Make a note of that (such as FAR §61.113 for the question about private pilot privileges and limitations)
  • After that first pass, do another one, this time creating an outline of simple “Spark Notes” or Cliff Notes” that provide the additional details to answer the question posed by that line.
  • End result #1, you have now created your own study guide similar to this photo.
HIYCoVr.jpg

(this is ACS for Private Pilot, but illustrates the concept)
  • End result #2, you now are much better equipped to be able to find the answer should you suffer brain vapor lock and cannot dig the answer out of long term memory.
  • End result #3... hopefully this process will make you much better prepared for the exam as a whole because you put some good work into your preparation.

Used King for private and Instrument. Used Sheppard for commercial. They both achieve the same outcome. Sheppard is definitely more of a memorize it platform and less of an instructional one. That said I made a 100% on my commercial test so it apparently works.

Back