Ohio state getting owned.

bflynn

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Brian Flynn
35-17 at the half.

Alabama owns this game. We’ll see what the second half brings but right now it looks like the idea of putting a 6-0 team into contention was a really bad one.

I have a major problem with the NCAA especially after how they dealt with Covid. Can't have regular classes. But they can't not have the cash cow. But all those indentured servants putting their lives and bodies at risk...whats in it for them?

I have a major problem with the NCAA especially after how they dealt with Covid. Can't have regular classes. But they can't not have the cash cow. But all those indentured servants putting their lives and bodies at risk...whats in it for them?

The kids wanted to play though.

NFL payday.

The kids wanted to play though.

NFL payday.
Going to be what, 200 kids on an nfl roster next year? Sometimes kids need to have their decision making privileges revoked...or pay them a portion of what the school has made off them.

It’s football, don’t try to make it political. They can operate a team in a bubble and make it work.

You are pulling for Ohio state, aren’t you?
52-24 with 13 minutes left.

It’s football, don’t try to make it political. They can operate a team in a bubble and make it work.
I don't really think it is political to say that it is ridiculous to put a team that only won 6 games into the National Championship game,
or to say that it is stupid to continue to play football while shutting down classes because of a virus. It might make (short term) economic sense, but that is about all.

As @EdFred said, a possible NFL payday. And of course a free education, which at most schools is worth $100-200k. So at the min, these guys are "making" $20k/yr plus being well fed and cared for during their college years. It's obviously a good enough deal for them or they wouldn't sign on the line.

I don't really think it is political to say that it is ridiculous to put a team that only won 6 games into the National Championship game

Ohio State always seems to have a lot of pull with the NCAA, I wonder why that would be?

35-17 at the half.

Alabama owns this game. We’ll see what the second half brings but right now it looks like the idea of putting a 6-0 team into contention was a really bad one.

But who would you have put in in place of them? I'm no OSU fan, the best outcome last night for me would have been a giant sinkhole opened up and swallowed both teams.
Who would the committee have put in next? Let's look at the CFP rankings - assuming whoever was in place of OSU beat Clemson last week.

Texas A&M: Already got beat by Alabama by the same score of last-night's game this year. Not gonna do any better than OSU did.
A 2 Loss Oklahoma team? The Big 12 was dog-**** this year, it would have been more of the same of what we saw last night.
A THREE loss Florida that just got beat by Alabama in the SEC championship game.
Cincinnati or Coastal Carolina? While the most deserving of the chance since they were undefeated, we are NEVER going to see a Group of 5 (actually 7) school ever get a shot because, well, $$$.

It was a weird year because the B1G had the most stringent protocols - far beyond what the CDC recommended. In a normal year, OSU probably still goes undefeated, at worst 1 loss, since they schedule 3 cupcake games, and the cancelled games were all against teams with losing records. They would still get the nod over A&M,Oklahoma, Cincinnati and Coastal Carolina.

As much as I hate Alabama because the NCAA and SEC turns a blind eye to recruiting practices in Tuscaloosa (it's a $$$ thing), what happened last night was going to happen even in a normal year.

There was discussion of Ohio St postponing the game a week due to Covid. They probably should have.

Going to be what, 200 kids on an nfl roster next year? Sometimes kids need to have their decision making privileges revoked...or pay them a portion of what the school has made off them.
Maybe we need a federal law. Or better, a federal agency to choose the competitors. :rolleyes:

Being from Ohio, all I can say about the score is YEEESSSS!!!!

THE ohio state university gets thrashed. I don’t care who they lose to, Toledo, Alabama, East Podunk Community College or Tottenham Hot Spurs, it’s all good.

Cheers

Maybe we need a federal law. Or better, a federal agency to choose the competitors. :rolleyes:

Let the Education Department set up an Undersecretary for Football. Players must maintain a 4.0 in Engineering, business or a medical field to be eligible. Exams proctoring by Federal Employees. Must pass licensing exam after graduation or all games they played in will be forfeited. Any cash received from television, shoe deals, uniform deals, etc. will be equally distributed to any school fielding a football team. High School players will be randomly assigned to a school. :cool:

Cheers

I don't really think it is political to say that it is ridiculous to put a team that only won 6 games into the National Championship game,
or to say that it is stupid to continue to play football while shutting down classes because of a virus. It might make (short term) economic sense, but that is about all.
I agree. Let’s start classes back up.

THE ohio state university gets thrashed. I don’t care who they lose to, Toledo, Alabama, East Podunk Community College or Tottenham Hot Spurs, it’s all good.

Cheers
Yeah, ever since a graduate (with a doctorate) answered THE Ohio State University when I asked him where he got his degree, I've not been fond of them. That, and the lunatic football coaches from back in the day.
I also hope for the Bengals to lose (and they typically oblige) because of the stadium deal that Mike Brown got. In it for the money, honey.

Let the Education Department set up an Undersecretary for Football. Players must maintain a 4.0 in Engineering, business or a medical field to be eligible. Exams proctoring by Federal Employees. Must pass licensing exam after graduation or all games they played in will be forfeited. Any cash received from television, shoe deals, uniform deals, etc. will be equally distributed to any school fielding a football team. High School players will be randomly assigned to a school. :cool:

Cheers
Yeah, you could call it, instead, the Federal Football Agency (with apologies to the future farmers, but not to the FAA).

Cheers

Well, I'll say it..... Go Blue!

BSAE '80

But who would you have put in in place of them? I'm no OSU fan, the best outcome last night for me would have been a giant sinkhole opened up and swallowed both teams.
Who would the committee have put in next? Let's look at the CFP rankings - assuming whoever was in place of OSU beat Clemson last week.

Texas A&M: Already got beat by Alabama by the same score of last-night's game this year. Not gonna do any better than OSU did.
A 2 Loss Oklahoma team? The Big 12 was dog-**** this year, it would have been more of the same of what we saw last night.
A THREE loss Florida that just got beat by Alabama in the SEC championship game.
Cincinnati or Coastal Carolina? While the most deserving of the chance since they were undefeated, we are NEVER going to see a Group of 5 (actually 7) school ever get a shot because, well, $$$.

It was a weird year because the B1G had the most stringent protocols - far beyond what the CDC recommended. In a normal year, OSU probably still goes undefeated, at worst 1 loss, since they schedule 3 cupcake games, and the cancelled games were all against teams with losing records. They would still get the nod over A&M,Oklahoma, Cincinnati and Coastal Carolina.

As much as I hate Alabama because the NCAA and SEC turns a blind eye to recruiting practices in Tuscaloosa (it's a $$$ thing), what happened last night was going to happen even in a normal year.

I'm not sure how you say the Big XII was awful when they just went 5-0 in the bowl season and had 4 Top 25 teams (2 in the Top 10). The ACC is terrible EVERY year and the PAC12 was horrid. The B1G had the same AP poll rankings (2 top 10, 4 top 25) but played 5 fewer games on average. I'm honestly not advocating that OU should have been in it, but I don't think you can say the Big XII was crap. It was easily on par with the SEC or B1G in terms of overall strength by just about any measure. I'm glad OU was outside of the playoff this year because I doubt ANY team was beating Alabama this year, and OU needed to get a bowl win since they've lost in the first round of the playoffs several years running. I would have rather seen a Cincinnati or CC get in, since this year was a wash anyway with all of the Covid stuff.

I think the real solution is an 8-team playoff, P5 conference champs get auto-bid, then three at-large bids for G5 and such. That makes the regular season still means something (which I love about college football), and if you can't make the Top 8 you really don't have much cause to complain.

Dammit - what’s the world coming to when I had to Like the stinkin’ Sooner’s post???

Back