How critical is learning glass (and any tips?)

I did the train the way I intended to fly. Had no idea that NDB's would be decommissioned, that GPS would take over, and that glass would replace a six-pack in 15 short years.
I can't even imagine what 15 years hence will be like, but I'll bet it will make today's glass look as old as ADF, Loran, HIWASS, DME, VOR, and Flight Watch.

First Cirrus I flew was a G1 20
Same here! I thought it was the coolest thing.. and the 140-150 ktas was a big upgrade from the PA28 I was flying

Actually out here in God's country (the high mountain West) there is not a lot of safe IMC because IMC=ICE most of the time. However, vacuum pump failure is almost non-existent IF you have a wet pump. OTH vacuum pump failure is routine with dry pump. I am amazed that the FAA ever permitted dry pumps.

I did the train the way I intended to fly. Had no idea that NDB's would be decommissioned, that GPS would take over, and that glass would replace a six-pack in 15 short years.

So did I. I earned my IR in 1989, when I had an Apollo 612 LORAN in my airplane. Things change. I went from a barely functioning Narco stack and no AP to vacuum-free system with dual G5s, NGT-9000, GNS-430, and an STEC-AP capable of flying emulated GPSS commands. And my beloved Apollo 612 is now just a bit of e-waste. It's a reminder to never stop training after earning a certificate or rating.

But seriously, one should try to train with the equipage you will fly with after completing training, whether that is an owned or rented aircraft. I trained for IFR in my own aircraft, and that made the transition to using the IFR rating very easy. I think in the future, electronic instruments, whether its G5s, Aspens, or something more sophisticated, will become increasingly common, especially in IFR equipped aircraft. To be honest, the electronic displays look a lot like the old mechanical instruments, except for the airspeed and altimeter tapes. The tapes are relatively easy to become adjusted to. Give your brain some time to adjust. For VFR, the glass panels shouldn't be a big impediment. IFR training will require more thorough acclimation.

Once you go glass, you will not want to go back to mechanical gyros. Eliminating the parallax error on the AI alone is almost worth the price of admission. It is amazing how precisely you can control pitch/power combinations with an electronic display.

1. Get a New CFI who understands your flying history and learning style and that teaches to you specifically. Fire your current one. If you are having trouble VFR, he isn't teaching you very well. The first lesson should have been after you went through the Sporty's G1000 course or the King Schools G1000 course. Saying that no one has ever needed a course is very closed minded. Lesson 2 should have been an hour or 2 on the ground with the plane plugged in, or even with a giant G1000 poster that all flight schools have on the wall going over everything. He should also spend an hour or two on Foreflight with you teaching you that since it sounds like you need time with that as well. Tell your new CFI that you need more ground time.

2. Before you waste anymore gas, find a power unit and plug the airplane in on the ground, build some flight plans, push some buttons, and twist some knobs, all while sitting on the smooth concrete in the peace and quiet confines of the flight school ramp (or heated hangar depending on what part of the country you are in).

3. Don't do any flying into IMC unless you are very comfortable VFR with all the G1000 VFR basics.

4. Do not, whatever you do, fly off the steam gauge backups. If you are going to do that, go find a steam gauge airplane and rent that instead. There is no sense in spending tons of extra money for a G1000 and then flying based on the backups. It will always end up being a crutch.

5. Finally, go at your pace. If it takes you another 5 hours to feel comfortable, don't fly it by yourself until you feel comfortable. We are all different and learn at different speeds.

And, if you go another 5 hours and are still frustrated, go back to a steam gauge airplane. There are a ton out there

Back