C172 Avionics test platform? Is this stupid?

Bob Roberts

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Bob Roberts
Have this idea for a long term video series that does reviews with the avionics manufacturers. Basically if you watch people online doing unboxing / tech reviews, this would be the GA equivalent to that. Was going to get an cheap (relative) 172 and take the dash apart. Put in guiderails that I could move around to make it easy to install different pieces of equipment. Do the review and then send the part back to the manufacturer.
I would keep two G5's on the side as the primary instruments so that if I have a problem with the instrument I'm testing I have something to go to. Also, a safety pilot to keep eyes outside and VFR only would be given.

Any installers out there? How hard do you think this would be to do? Airplane I'm assuming would have to go experimental.

I think this is content that would be helpful and I don't think there really is anyone doing this today. Unless I'm living under a rock.

I’m thinking what may be more easily accomplished would be for someone to travel a little bit to people who already have things installed in their airplanes and to fly with them and review. A standard video format and test criteria would be beneficial, and probably more quickly accomplished without having to install so many different systems. Also, it may be difficult to convince manufacturers to loan you equipment. For the tech reviews you mention, these are companies making thousands upon thousands of, say, a specific model of printer to stock shelves, versus companies that are barely keeping up with demand with manufacturing capacity. There are great videos out there for some systems, like the SoCal Flying Monkey videos, but a fair and unbiased comparison with a standard format would be nice.

many moons ago my plane was a avoinics test bed for AOPA and ASI, needless to say they have immense resource to pull off something like that

How hard do you think this would be to do? Airplane I'm assuming would have to go experimental.
I believe the installation/removal costs alone would make it not feasible. Then you have to issue to return the aircraft back to its original configuration afterwards. Even if you went with an Experimental AWC under Research or Exhibition and you personally got the ability to install the equipment yourself outside Part 43 requirements it would still cost a nickel or two. As to returning the avionics back to the OEM a lot don't take returns after power as been applied except in warranty claims. The suggestion in Post 2 would be a better route unless money is not a concern.
Was going to get an cheap (relative) 172 and take the dash apart.
FWIW: A better route would be to develop secondary external equipment racks for the "test" avionics and simply interface into the aircraft power and/or existing displays.

I believe the installation/removal costs alone would make it not feasible. Then you have to issue to return the aircraft back to its original configuration afterwards. Even if you went with an Experimental AWC under Research or Exhibition and you personally got the ability to install the equipment yourself outside Part 43 requirements it would still cost a nickel or two. As to returning the avionics back to the OEM a lot don't take returns after power as been applied except in warranty claims. The suggestion in Post 2 would be a better route unless money is not a concern.

FWIW: A better route would be to develop secondary external equipment racks for the "test" avionics and simply interface into the aircraft power and/or existing displays.
That's some good points. I didn't even think about the fact that the manufactures would have cost and time to move the equipment back to OEM status, unless they had pieces specifically used for testing.

Back