Its been 14 years since I flew and I cant remember. Can you hear yourself?

Lowe Approach

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Lowe Approach
Long story short, new radios (tkm mx170c) replaced my king 170bs.
New audio panel PS engineering 8000bt.
14 years since I flew last and I'm up again with an instructor to try and get proficient.

When I transmit (push to talk) I cant hear myself in the headsets. Is this normal? I think its throwing me off but cant remember if I could hear myself before.

Can ya'll hear yourselves in the headsets when you transmit, or no?
Is there a setting that is wrong in the audio panel perhaps?

That’s a side tone setting, but I don’t know how to set it on those radios.

No, you should be able to hear yourself. Not familiar with the PS engineering panel, but usually there is a volume knob on them for the side tone, adjust and be happy.

I had the PMA8000BT and I could hear myself. But I don't know how to configure this. Maybe put ICS on ALL and see if that does something..

That’s a side tone setting, but I don’t know how to set it on those radios.

Jesse is correct, sidetone during radio transmissions comes from the radios, not the audio panel. Mic bias must change from the intercom to the radio to provide power allowing the amplified microphone to work. So, when our audio panels detect a PTT keyline going low, we switch the mic from the intercom to the radio and what you will hear in your headset is only what the radio is providing. Apparently, your radio isn't providing the sidetone.

Aircraft Spruce says sidetone is adjustable on that radio. For giggles, I read the manual, no mention of sidetone. I'd call the manufacturer, it might be a setup menu that you need to hold a button down when turning it on. For sure it's adjustable, and the radio, not the intercom.

OK - here's the user friendly answer;
B. Rear Panel Assembly The rear panel contains two potentiometers that are adjusted as follows:
1. Microphone Gain (R10). Apply .30 Vrms at 1000 Hz to pin 39 of P1. Adjust R10 so that 12 v p-p is output to the transmitter modulation line.
2. Sidetone Level (R33). Apply .30 Vrms at 1000 Hz to pin 39 of P1 and adjust R33 so that 1.0 vrms appears across a 500 ohm load connected to pin 34 of P1.

I'd be tempted to turn the R33 potentiometer a tiny bit and see if you get some sidetone.

Some Garmin radios can select whether you adjust side tone separately or that it follows radio volume. It’s still a radio setting, not intercom

Back