Let's talk wingtip strobes

jd21476

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
jd21476
I have a '59 Comanche and it does not have any wingtip strobes. I have a Skybeacon on the left and I was told that if I connect the strobe wire to the nav light then the strobe will work when I turn on the nav light. I had planned on buying the Skysensor or Skylight for other side and then using the strobes.

Now, I just bought a new ADS-B transponder so I no longer need the Skybeacon and plan on selling it.

Is there another company that makes similar strobes or do I need to redo my complete wingtip lights and add a strobe control box thingy?

I don’t have a good answer for you but there are times you will need nav lights but not want your strobes on.

i.e. taxiing around other aircraft at night, entering clouds at night, etc.

Thats actually a good point. I didnt think about that. Im going to be working on my IFR so I guess I wouldnt want strobes in IMC.

The Whelen Orion series is LED Nav/Strobe wingtip lights. They're a little pricey. But, for TSO'd not out of line.

Pulsar also makes a pair of LED Nav/Position/Strobe lights that are $1,250 a pair. They can be installed with a 337 field approval.

By the way, Nav/position and strobe are powered through separate circuit breakers and controlled with separate switches. So, you can turn the strobes off when you don't want them.

Just an FYI regarding the Skybeacon and wiring the strobe connection to the nav light. I was told by the manufacturer the strobe will work. The strobe can be turned on/off thru the app. HOWEVER, and this is the catch, once Skybeacon detects the airplane is moving the link to the app is disconnected. Therefore you can no longer turn the strobe on/off thru the app. I believe the disconnect feature is designed in to prevent the user from being able to “play” around with settings while in flight causing a distraction. The owners manual clearly states this disconnect feature once the aircraft is moving.

You could always run an extra wire to the strobe with it's own switch. That will probably be required for any of the strobe additions. That's what I plan to do if uAvionix ever gets the skyLight approved.

Well I may just stay with just the position lights for a while since strobes are very expensive and the. The install cost is going to be a lot as well

I have the Whelen Orion series is LED Nav/Strobe wingtip lights. If you also have the LED strobes in the tail, it's legal to get rid of the rotating beacon. Fishing an extra wire to the wingtip is a little hard in Comanche's. My mechanic used a flyrod (without wire hoops), patience and *^% words to get from the wing tips to the wheel wells.

Well I may just stay with just the position lights for a while since strobes are very expensive and the. The install cost is going to be a lot as well

What?!!?
NOT spending copious amounts of money on the airplane? :eek:
Think of the bad example you're setting here for fellow PoAers (not to mention your children). If this catches on we are doomed. :p
Just wait until the next time you ask us to spend your money. :D

The Whelen Orion series is LED Nav/Strobe wingtip lights. They're a little pricey. But, for TSO'd not out of line.

I looked them up on Spruce. At first glance I saw $652. Not bad I thought, until I realized that the price was for EACH light. Which makes me wonder who would ever buy just one and not the set? Well played Spruce, well played.

I looked them up on Spruce. At first glance I saw $652. Not bad I thought, until I realized that the price was for EACH light. Which makes me wonder who would ever buy just one and not the set? Well played Spruce, well played.

Well you never know. Could have a Skybeacon on one wing. Or could be one of those cautious buyers that really likes to try out something before going all-in. Or maybe likes everything matching with two reds or two greens. These days you can't really be too critical. ;)

Well you never know. Could have a Skybeacon on one wing. Or could be one of those cautious buyers that really likes to try out something before going all-in. Or maybe likes everything matching with two reds or two greens. These days you can't really be too critical. ;)

Well I guess if you put it that way... :oops:

Oh and to the OP, good luck finding a rocker switch that matches your other rocker switches for the strobes.

Oh and to the OP, good luck finding a rocker switch that matches your other rocker switches for the strobes.

Mine's a double throw switch. Up means only the red tail beacon strobe is on, down adds the wingtips. I like that arrangement as the tail beacon comes on with the master.

I don’t have a good answer for you but there are times you will need nav lights but not want your strobes on.

i.e. taxiing around other aircraft at night, entering clouds at night, etc.

I was taught to never run the wingtip strobes on the ground in any circumstance if not on a runway.

Mine's a double throw switch. Up means only the red tail beacon strobe is on, down adds the wingtips. I like that arrangement as the tail beacon comes on with the master.

My nav lights come on with the panel lights. The switch also dims the panel lights. I don't have wingtip strobes but would like to have them one day. I have one unused switch blank that the strobe could be mounted on to complete the ahnsahmbull. I hate blank panel covers and switch holes. No real reason why. I think if there's a hole, something should be in it - speaking of aircraft panels of course.

Keep an eye out, every so often the Whelans will be on sale at Aircraft Spruce. Got mine a few months ago for $450 each.

Back