Ovation or Comanche 260b

How about a Comanche 400.??

Or

Malibu.

It's just money.....not like you can take it with you.

I have a late model Twin Comanche which as the same interior configuration as a B model single. I have two standard poodles who inhabit the back with the seats out, and still enough room for baggage. Before making a decision you need to check out the Comanche community. While Piper makes a lot of the parts still, the expertise for flying and maintaining rests in its robust community and fan base. Two best places on line are http://forums.delphiforums.com/comanches/start and the Piper Comanche FB page.

125 AMU's for a B model with a mid-time engine is a bit hopeful, but not out of the realm in today's market. For both Mooney's and Comanche's, you need real expertise in the breed to minimize the chances that your first annual tops $20K. There are also different considerations if you are planning to only own the aircraft for a few years before wanting to upgrade. That changes the calculation for both the condition of each plane and for which plane to pick.

In these discussions, I'm personally biased towards planes that still have factory support. Yes Mooney has business challenges, but they are still making parts.

Other have suggested PA-32. Cessna 182 or 206 if high-wing. Makes loading large dogs easier, especially as they age. C206 is cake with the large cargo door.

I have limited knowledge in this area, so let me share my opinion on how to spend your money....

1) I'm hoping to end up where you are in a few years. Currently live in ATL, kids out of the house, and wife wants to (she who must be obeyed :D) go to the beach and other places. For the time being I'll be renting, getting my IR, and maybe commercial by then.

We've been doing Jekyll Island and Hilton Head. Thinking about Destin next. Where if FL do you want to go? New to this (got PPL in 2020) so looking for suggestions.:cool:

2) Just the two of you and two large dogs. Need a bit of speed as well as hauling capacity. What about a 182 RG? Can haul a ton, you sit upright, easy to get dogs in the back, and if you had to you can put two people back there without a lot of pain. You'll get a bit better than 150 kts, and tons of support, mechanics, and parts available.

Last edited:
Bonanza/Saratoga for easy loading.

Surprised not to have read this sooner. With big dogs, keep them off of the wings/wing walk, and load through big old cargo doors in planes so-equipped. +1 to a36/toga aft doors.

I did enjoy the mental picture of someone hoisting a 100# dog up into a mooney's high baggage door. :D

you're still missing the point. The inference behind your comparison against mooney is the perception of support. I'm just telling you that argument is specious here.
Psychologically I'd still rather buy something from a company that still exists. Even if the product itself is no longer supported they still produce and sell an active fleet.. maybe direct Comanche support won't exist, but you can still get passive support

I’ve seen 4 grown men, 2 at least over 6’, while flying with Wes at the factory on a 4+ hour ride before he left for Premier
No one is saying it "can't" be done. You can also legally fit 7 adults into a Toyota Highlander, but it's not going to be a comfortable ride. Some people enjoy (or at least don't mind) the lay-low-panel-in-your-face-I-wear-it flying style of the Mooney but once the door is shut and I'm either squeezing my buddy's shoulder or have to stagger my seat I want nothing more but then to gtfo of it. Though technically narrower even someone "basic" like a PA28 feels much bigger inside.

Mooney is focusing on GW increases as we speak- their sole purpose
I'm curious how they plan to do this with their existing fleet... is it just paperwork? They were late to the party with the second door thing, I doubt adding more weight will help either. The earlier SR22 with all the bells and whistles had a pathetic W&B.. it was basically two skinny people and nothing else when full tanks, but that didn't stop sales. I know there is a die hard Mooney fan base out there, and the planes have great ramp appeal and are champions at going fast on little fuel. But like most of GA they stopped advancing their fleet decades ago. Unlike Piper and Cessna they don't have any other products to help bolster sales and they don't have a training line out there. Adding 100-200# will not bring them their dark horse moment. Mind you, there was a time I was seriously looking at owning a J model Mooney (it's close to being the perfect plane, for me) but for whatever reason I just can't get over the interior size perception and I don't think I'm the only one

Not advocating flying over gross. Never done it personally. But have yet to see the FAA with scales on the ramp. It's where that extra load is placed so that CG is kosher. Look at the Max Conrad flights. 2000 lbs over gross!
Totally!

^to the point about the FAA with scales at a ramp.. while that probably will never happen has anyone ever had a ramp check where their weight and balance was requested? It's technically part of your flight prep and if you're on the ramp with 4 people, a load of bags, and two great Danes I could understand if the FAA asked to see your WB!! Presumably you'll be flying somewhere that requires more than 16 gallons of gas

has anyone ever had a ramp check where their weight and balance was requested?

I had a ramp check after a 135 flight in a Citation where our W&B was looked at, but that's a little different. Any FAA guy that's been around 135 for any period of time knows that W&B paperwork is generally BS. We had a scale in the nose compartment for weighing bags, and I remember our POI making a comment during a 299 ride one day: "At least you had the decency to take it out its packaging before placing it in the baggage compartment!"

^to the point about the FAA with scales at a ramp.. while that probably will never happen has anyone ever had a ramp check where their weight and balance was requested? It's technically part of your flight prep and if you're on the ramp with 4 people, a load of bags, and two great Danes I could understand if the FAA asked to see your WB!! Presumably you'll be flying somewhere that requires more than 16 gallons of gas

None of this (+ 100 more gallons of fuel) will be a problem for you when you finish your checkout in the Aztec. ;)

None of this (+ 100 more gallons of fuel) will be a problem for you when you finish your checkout in the Aztec. ;)
That's the Aztec's party trick. Not the sexiest, fastest, or most fun to fly, but damn they carry a ton (literally).

That's the Aztec's party trick. Not the sexiest, fastest, or most fun to fly, but damn they carry a ton (literally).

Not the sexiest, nor the fastest. But not sure how you define fun to fly. I take mine into places I wouldn't dare take any of the sexier, faster twins (or quite a few sexy singles either). That SuperCub wing and almost indestructible undercarriage makes it fun for me to fly it places where some others may not.

Back