Part 107 for Part 61 cert holders w.r.t. flight review

Julius Goth

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Julius
If I am a PPL already, it appears that you can just take a course and pass a quiz to satisfy requirements for part 107 as such:

"If you are a part 61 pilot certificate holder and you have a current flight review (per 14 CFR part 61.56), successful completion of this course is your ONLY training and testing requirement. At the end of this course, complete the online knowledge check (exam) and print your completion certificate."

Now, I received my PPL in August 2019 and my IR on August 2020, and I know that both reset the clock on flight review requirements. However, since they specify flight review in the requirement, do I really need one or do the oral/checkrides for the ratings count as part of that review?

The reason why I ask it that while I received two ratings over the last 2 years, I haven't completed a BFR as of yet (because it's not needed right now). Do you think I am good to go or do I need a BFR or Knowledge Test attempt for Part 107?

"Part 107.61 - Eligibility" says you have to either pass the 107 written test or:

If a person holds a pilot certificate (other than a student pilot certificate) issued under part 61 of this chapter and meets the flight review requirements specified in §61.56, complete an initial training course covering the areas of knowledge specified in §107.74(a) in a manner acceptable to the Administrator.

And §61.56 says:
A person who has...passed any of the following need not accomplish the flight review required by this section:

A pilot proficiency check or practical test conducted by an examiner, an approved pilot check airman, or a U.S. Armed Force, for a pilot certificate, rating, or operating privilege.

I interpret this to mean that you're good to go since you satisfy the requirements of a flight review with your additional IR rating. The 107 information and quiz isn't hard, but it's specific to drones in a commercial setting (400ft AGL maximum, max speeds, registration requirements, etc) that you wouldn't know by being just a manned pilot. The rest (weather, airspace, etc) isn't tested on except the limitations thereof.

(Source: Professional Drone Pilot)

If you are a part 61 pilot certificate holder and you have a current flight review (per 14 CFR part 61.56), successful completion of this course
whoever wrote that didn’t word it correctly... it should be the same wording as the Part 107 requirements...

"Part 107.61 - Eligibility" says you have to either pass the 107 written test or:
meets the flight review requirements specified in §61.56

whoever wrote that didn’t word it correctly... it should be the same wording as the Part 107 requirements...

Yeah I see that, I'll look it up 107.61 but sounds exactly what I needed to hear...thanks!

ETA: Confirmed with a contact at the Greensboro FSDO.

Last edited:
Back