New fuel bladders 182Q

jbs007

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
jbs007
Hi all, I am looking for recommendations for where to buy fuel bladders for a 1978 Cessna 182Q with long range tanks. I have read a few great posts here but most were from 7+ years ago and I know things (and companies) change. Anyone with recent experience on who makes the best bladders? Thank you

At one time I encountered a 182 with long range tanks that had

fuel moving from tank to tank.

Selecting LEFT tank would result in the RIGHT quantity decreasing.

There are plastic vent tubes that should do through loops inside the tank

to keep them above fuel level.

These were not in loops so when submerged in fuel they

caused the cross feed effect.

On the recommendation of Bill Turley, I installed FFC's in each wing. Fit well; each came with full roll of green 'duct' tape. Be sure to check and treat any corrosion after removing old bladders. Also, get new hose 'nipples' for the connections through the ends of the wings, and new gaskets for the fuel level senders. Use the opportunity to replace the sample ports and check the check-valve on the vent tube in left wing.

Eagle. Hartwig and Eagle are owned by brothers. One is on the Canadian side and one the US side of the border. My mechanics have insisted on Eagle. I have no interest in that job!

Doesn't the Q have integral tanks? Seems to me it did but my memory isn't all that clear on it. Never worked on a Q's tanks.

Eagle over Hartwig. Eagle's material is more pliable making extended range tank bladder installation a bit easier. Eagle is compatible with Mogas and does not deteriorate with fuel containing some alcohol. Keeps options open for the future.

Good idea to replace all the short rubber coupling hoses wing to fuselage in the wing root. Often overlooked and they become stiff losing flexibility. There are milspec replacements which is also compatible with mogas containing alcohol.

Last edited:
The 182Q starting model year 1979 on have the integral tanks, so watch your speed when putting in the second notch of flaps.
Our 77 Q has bladders and the 14 volt electrical system, basically a P with the slower turning engine. :D

Back