Hummel Field W75

dell30rb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ren
Anyone based at Hummel know details about a planned runway expansion? I heard something about it, they either plan to apply for funds to expand, or have already done so but can't find any specifics.

First I heard. Still wondering how the guy at the end of RWY 1 is going to like it when they pave over his new pool to lengthen the runway.

First I heard. Still wondering how the guy at the end of RWY 1 is going to like it when they pave over his new pool to lengthen the runway.
Welcome to PoA!

They've already cleared the land including moving a house. I believe it's supposed to be 3,000 ft.

That's gonna take the fun out of it! I remember landing on 19 there soon after getting my private thinking, "Oh man am I gonna be able to stop??" Good thing I was in a 172 then and ended up planting it on the numbers and making the turnoff with room to spare. Great airport. Forget the name of that little cafe, but they had a good breakfast buffet...

I heard they were rotating the runway to get some extra length.

3000' would be really nice as it would allow me to get a 4 cylinder single out of there at max gross in the summer with no concerns.

Edit - just called the FBO, figure I might as well ask. He said they were planning 3000' and repaving the runway 5 degrees off (I assume to get a little more obstacle clearance or something). No definite date on when to start, they are in the process of surveying and the environmental impact studies which are ongoing.

As dell30rb alluded, the FBO, who also owns a construction business, bought available property on the north end. His plan, with support from the County who actually owns the airport, is to clear the trees on the north end, pivot the runway about five degrees from the south end, and lengthen to 3,000. After environmental due diligence is performed, and assuming no major issues, he plans to accomplish the work this year.

W75 was the first XC flight I made after I got my private back in 1994. It only took three tries to get a successful approach (and landing) to Hummel. I still pop in from time to time, and the 2,100 feet is fine for me in my 182 these days, but the extra 900 feet would have been appreciated on that flight 27 years ago.

Just noticed: Eckhards permanently closed in November. Ugh. It's been a couple years since I've eaten there, but the German restaurant has always been a neat fly-in destination for years.

Hopefully, they'll fix that deadly swale in the process. I've seen a couple of planes come to grief taxiing through it without realizing it was there.

Hopefully they don't raise their very low overnight fees and low fuel costs. Great little airport, nice people, great location.

I was planning on stopping there last month on our way up to New Hampshire from Puerto rico. I decided not to after our first few take offs at max gross weight were a little more sluggish than I would have preferred. Im sure we would have been fine getting in and out, but after flying for a day and a half, I didnt want to require my A game. We stopped at Rocky Mount Wilson airport instead, and liked it so much Ill be stopping there on the way back.

It's fun coming in from the water side when the corn's high!

I can add nothing...but thanks for the memories.... (I learned out of JGG back in early/mid 1990's)

I heard they were rotating the runway to get some extra length.

3000' would be really nice as it would allow me to get a 4 cylinder single out of there at max gross in the summer with no concerns.

Edit - just called the FBO, figure I might as well ask. He said they were planning 3000' and repaving the runway 5 degrees off (I assume to get a little more obstacle clearance or something). No definite date on when to start, they are in the process of surveying and the environmental impact studies which are ongoing.
Not based at Hummel, but I did land there in the T6 last week and spoke to a guy who is based there while filling up on the cheap fuel. Heard pretty much the same you did. Didn't sound like there is a definite start date, but they are planning on rotating the runway a few degrees clockwise to accommodate.

It was a calm day so I was able to land on 19 and takeoff again on 1 over the water. It was a short narrow runway, but well worth the views. A friend of mine actually took his Beech 18 in there. At current length, it's a little outside my comfort zone for the Beast.

Charley's is a great restaurant at JGG. Back when we were allowed to do such things, you could fly there on a Friday evening and there would be live music on the patio overlooking the ramp. Great food. Actually, they still have great food - just not sure they do the music right now. Was there in... November I think it was? Great sandwiches made on homemade bread.

Glad to read that it's still kicking there. Charley's hadn't been around long, as I recall, when I was there....although I don't remember ever knowing Charley. There was another guy.... young but I don't recall his name...that was either the chef or running the place. The Waltrips had only recently built that building when I did my discovery flight.... no live music back in those days, but most weekends the place was hopping.... I spent a lot of evenings and weekends sitting on that porch watching that runway. I remember good sandwiches on that good bread... and a french onion soup that folks liked. They didn't have a grille so he was limited in what they could offer, but I remember everything being really good.
In all my travels I have never found another airport that was so welcoming and accessible. Not even close. I lived about 7 miles away so I was there all the time....I really miss that place.

I take it back....there was live music..... props and the sounds of unicom chatter.....and friends chatting

Back