Cost to Install ASOS / AWOS?

VWGhiaBob

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
VWGhiaBob
Even though our airport (KUDD) has a steady stream of jet traffic, we only have a windsock...no AWOS / ASOS. We can use weather from KPSP or KTRM as a proxy, but often our wicked desert winds vary even a few blocks apart.

Anyone know how much a basic system with wind and altimeter costs and are there federal funds available to fund?

I'd talk with your airport manager. They should always be working with state and federal grants for projects for the airport. Make sure they know that is something that is in demand. I don't know about Cali, but our state has an AWOS program they fund.

I'd talk with your airport manager. They should always be working with state and federal grants for projects for the airport. Make sure they know that is something that is in demand. I don't know about Cali, but our state has an AWOS program they fund.
Depending on your state aviation division (usually part of state dept of transportation), the cost may only be 10% of expense, with an FAA grant. I know in Colorado, we have 80-20 or 90-10 depending on the use and other requirements. No state funds are used, everything aviation is paid for by fuel tax and matching FAA grants.

They quoted me $100,000 for a basic system.

We installed "Say Weather" system at the Desert Aire Regional Airport. M94...........about $3500

I think they use it at the Auburn Airport as well. S50

Works great..............no cloud information. Highly recommended.

https://www.sayweather.com/

(EDIT: Looks like they have cloud info now.)

Note that while these are great systems, if you want the weather report to be "official" (and disseminated over the internet, to flight service, etc) and to be able to be used as an official altimeter source for the approach procedures, it will need to be a "certified" option (AWOS or ASOS). All depends on your intent.

If you did get an official system, it appears it could lower minimums on the approach procedure, by about 40 feet in the case of UDD. (This may not be a big concern in that area, but just putting it out there for general information.)

Even though our airport (KUDD) has a steady stream of jet traffic, we only have a windsock...no AWOS / ASOS. We can use weather from KPSP or KTRM as a proxy, but often our wicked desert winds vary even a few blocks apart.

Anyone know how much a basic system with wind and altimeter costs and are there federal funds available to fund?

I'll be designing a system next month. Long story short, if they are FAA AIP eligible. GA airports grants are 90/10 (fed/local match) if the airport receives AIP funding.

Shoot me your info in a private message, and I can have some info sent over to you.

Last edited:

You may know this, but you airport is privately owned and not owned by some government entity. Funding for such systems is likely not the same.

That said, can't you call up on the CTAF and the airport staff will give you the wind and altimeter?

What does Colombia have to do with this? ;-)

Anyway, KUDD is a privately owned airport, so their access to AIP funds is likely limited.

Just a side note: I watched an airport go from a windsock to an AWOS. Part of the process was to utilize a certified portable system for several months to verify/check the newly installed AWOS. Rental of the portable system? I'd think so...maybe part of the purchase price. I never asked about installation cost. Was just happy to see it done. Didn't have to tell the jets that the wind looked like about 5 knots out of the south anymore....

Anyway, KUDD is a privately owned airport, so their access to AIP funds is likely limited.

Ah a privately owned airport is a horse of a different color, although it will depend if it is listed as a NPIAS airport whether or not it can receive AIP funds.

My statement about contacting the manager is because I see a lot of actively involved pilots that want to go out and pursue airport grants on their own for AWOS, hangars, etc, but it doesn't work that way. Airport grants have to go to the Airport sponsor or owner.

Not trying to hijack the thread but what is the price for a VASI system?

I bougth a VASI for $100 at Oshkosh a few years back. It's a military portable unit (6 volts, I guess it's designed to be powered with a Jeep or something). The only problem with our airport is that the only place that's really convenient to set it up is in front of the airport bar, and by the time we do that, well, people have been in the Margaritas too much to be safe to fly and test it out.

Depends. You want LED or traditional? Which system are you wanting? Google, "VASI FAA Certified Manufacturers" and start calling around. There's a HUGE range in prices and installation.

We installed "Say Weather" system at the Desert Aire Regional Airport. M94...........about $3500

I think they use it at the Auburn Airport as well. S50

Works great..............no cloud information. Highly recommended.

https://www.sayweather.com/

(EDIT: Looks like they have cloud info now.)

Wow, that looks like a cool system for privately owned air strip.

Our AWOS-3 system was funded by an AIP grant as as part of a larger airport safety improvement effort. I don't recall the expense exactly, but I think it was in the high 5 figure range. You will likely want to work with a consultant to write a successful FAA grant to secure the necessary funds. There are also ongoing costs of maintenance and calibration, several thousand per year, plus additional costs to send your weather data to one of the weather data aggregators if you want your AWOS to show up on ADS-B or XM-WX.

Ah a privately owned airport is a horse of a different color, although it will depend if it is listed as a NPIAS airport whether or not it can receive AIP funds.

My statement about contacting the manager is because I see a lot of actively involved pilots that want to go out and pursue airport grants on their own for AWOS, hangars, etc, but it doesn't work that way. Airport grants have to go to the Airport sponsor or owner.

Just looked it up. UDD isn't on the NPIAS map.

I do agree that being active with airport management is a great idea.

Back