2-hour night XC, Nevada

DesertNomad

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
DesertNomad
I need to do my dual night XC for my CPL. I am based in Reno and was planning a day flight to either Elko or Vegas and coming back at night. If I chose the Vegas option, has anyone departed KVGT at night? Were you IFR or VFR? Long delay for release? If VFR, were you cleared into Bravo going north? Any experience with a night departure from KHND?

Thanks.

Never flown a night departure from Vegas, but frequently in and out of both HND and VGT, albeit always IFR. I've never had an "undue" delay, though sometimes waiting at the hold line for 5-10 minutes for IFR release. I'd guess Henderson would be somewhat easier in and out from Reno (airway from Beatty) due to terrain and airspace. VGT is sort of tucked into a corner between MOAs and very nearby terrain. I'm sure your well aware, but from either airport, plan your dark departure carefully. There was a nighttime CFIT accident 11/25/2019 just north of VGT, a Cirrus.

VFR departure to the North from VGT; clearance through the Bravo (Nellis Approach) is virtually guaranteed and straightforward. Enjoy!

There was another crash departing VGT back in 2007. It was a glass cockpit Cessna 182 which departed VFR and crashed into Mt. Potosi to the southwest. I don't know if they were doing the Rocks 2 Departure or what, but there is very little margin between the floor of the Class B and the ground. The Rocks 2 arrival and departure advise to remain clear of the Class B. Looks like you're going to the north so this likely isn't an issue.

You could do Vegas to phoenix

Back