200 amp landing lights

in the bidness....we call that ...."in-rush" current...which is the momentary spike (impulse) as the device is starting.
That's one example. Another would be a hybrid vehicle accelerating and drawing more power for a time than the charging motor can provide. The electric motor may be already running, but you need more power to quickly accelerate to pass a slow car in a short time. There are other examples, too.

I will add an example to what Capn Jack is describing. My 1943 Harley has a 3 brush generator. With everything perfect it can put out 10 amps max. That is enough to keep the battery charged, ignition system alive and running lights bright. That is all the loads it was designed to do; I. E. NO other loads. However the horn, a vibrating metal diaphragm type, pulls close to 20 amps which far exceeds the generator output. However the horn is only used for short bursts and the battery supplies the extra current required to operate the horn. The generator then slowly replaces the lost current the horn pulled out of the generator.

Fix last sentence, the generator then slowly replaces the current pulled out of the battery.

I'd bet with all lights on, pitot heat, radio equipment and moving the electric landing gear on a Beech/Mooney/Piper/Cessna the demand is significantly over 100% of charging capacity.

Nope. Like I said, intermittent loads don't figure into it, and gear is intermittent. Radios consume little. Incandescent lighting is where most of it goes, and even the flashing beacon consumes more than the pitot heater.

Remember you can't plug a 2 with a 6...

I have them installed in my bathroom hollywood lighting. Nothing like 1000 amps of lighting to help you find that nose hair!
Few, if any, residences have capacity to power 1000 amps of lighting at 110v

Back