CFI lesson plans for purchase

This was 30 years ago.

did the examiner say that the method in post #16 was invalid?

No, it seemed that anything would be valid as long as all items were explicitly mentioned in a single continuous lesson, without any questions by the examiner. He stated this was an FAA requirement.

I have subsequently confirmed that that that is not an actual FAA requirement. I don’t think most examiners make that claim and as long as all items are included should be fine. The requirement is that the applicant demonstrate knowledge and teaching ability in all areas.

No, anything would be valid as long as all items were explicitly mentioned in a single continuous lesson, without any questions by the examiner.

He stated this was an FAA requirement. I have subsequently confirmed that that that is not an actual FAA requirement.

I don’t think most examiners make that claim and as long as all items are included should be fine.
So how is that a bad way to determine whether an applicant can put a lesson together?

So how is that a bad way to determine whether an applicant can put a lesson together?

The method in #16? Or requiring that the applicant present a single continuous lesson which covers all the areas?

I think the latter is bad because it is not an FAA requirement and imposing requirements only known to the examiner is a form of not administering the exam per FAA regulation and standards. There is literally no way an applicant can know what is in the DPE’s head and contrary to the regulations. Fairly serious error in my view and a violation of FAA regulations.

The method in #16? Or requiring that the applicant present a single continuous lesson which covers all the areas?

I think the latter is bad because it is not an FAA requirement and imposing requirements only known to the examiner is a form of not administering the exam per FAA regulation and standards. There is literally no way an applicant can know what is in the DPE’s head and contrary to the regulations. Fairly serious error in my view and a violation of FAA regulations.
So in the context of your original postings, a lesson plan that falls short of teaching all of the ACS or PTS required topics is “per FAA regulations and standards” and not “contrary to regulations”?

So in the context of your original postings, a lesson plan that falls short of teaching all of the ACS or PTS required topics is “per FAA regulations and standards” and not “contrary to regulations”?

No, I would not say that. I would say that the DPE can’t determine whether the applicant has met the standards or not based on requesting a lesson on a task and then after the lesson is given, falsely claiming that there is an FAA requirement that all the items must be presented in a single continuous lesson, and making no further assessment.

The simple fact is, there is no such requirement for a single continuous lesson in this manner. Claiming such is the case is a falsehood by the DPE.

The DPE is supposed to objectively assess whether the applicant meets the standards. Those are to demonstrate teaching knowledge in all the required areas.

Now, is it more convenient for the DPE if the applicant presents everything in one long list, better yet, in the same order as the PTS. Most certainly. But failing to make life convenient for the DPE is not the same as failing to meet the standards.

No, I would not say that. I would say that the DPE can’t determine whether the applicant has met the standards or not based on requesting a lesson on a task and then after the lesson is given, falsely claiming that there is an FAA requirement that all the items must be presented in a single continuous lesson, and making no further assessment.

The simple fact is, there is no such requirement for a single continuous lesson in this manner. Claiming such is the case is a falsehood by the DPE.

The DPE is supposed to objectively assess whether the applicant meets the standards. Those are to demonstrate teaching knowledge in all the required areas.

Now, is it more convenient for the DPE if the applicant presents everything in one long list, better yet, in the same order as the PTS. Most certainly. But failing to make life convenient for the DPE is not the same as failing to meet the standards.
Did the applicant or the lesson plan in any way, shape, or form prior to the notification of failure indicate that there were additional lessons before the applicant met the standards set forth in the PTS?

Did the applicant or the lesson plan in any way, shape, or form prior to the notification of failure indicate that there were additional lessons before the applicant met the standards set forth in the PTS?

Not in this case.

But I think the biggest problem arose because of the false claim by the DPE. The DPE is the professional being paid to make an objective assessment. To introduce rules after the fact, known only to the DPE, and falsely claim they are FAA regulations is a pretty serious problem.

Otherwise, I think the applicant reasonably assumes that the sort of examination procedures applied by other DPEs, namely a discussion oriented exam will take place.

I suppose a “must be only one continuous lesson” style of examination could be considered within the DPEs discretion of examination style if disclosed in advance and not stated falsely as being an FAA requirement.

Last edited:
Not in this case.

But I think the biggest problem arose because of the false claim by the DPE. The DPE is the professional being paid to make an objective assessment. To introduce rules, known only to the DPE, and falsely claim they are FAA regulations is a pretty serious problem.
So the problem isn’t that the applicant failed because he didn’t meet standard, the problem is that the examiner improperly explained the failure.

did the applicant ask the examiner specifically which FAA regulation was not met?

So the problem isn’t that the applicant failed because he didn’t meet standard, the problem is that the examiner improperly explained the failure.

We crossed there. As I edited in, the biggest problem was the false claim of an FAA regulation and introduction of a rule known only to the examiner, at variance with normal testing, after the fact.

Yes, long discussion about exactly which items were missing and which regulation exactly required presentation in a single continuous lesson. Despite the DPE’s claim this was an FAA regulation, no regulation was ever cited.

Last edited:
We crossed there. As I edited in, the biggest problem was the false claim of an FAA regulation and introduction of a rule known only to the examiner, at variance with normal testing, after the fact.

Yes, long discussion about exactly which items were missing and which regulation exactly required presentation in a single continuous lesson. Despite the DPE’s claim this was an FAA regulation, no regulation was ever cited.
Well, without knowing the exact question that resulted in the incomplete lesson plan, I’d say there was no “variance with normal testing”. The lesson plan did not ensure teaching all of the required areas, and neither the plan nor the applicant indicated this was known. Sounds like a righteous bust to me.

Well, without knowing the exact question that resulted in the incomplete lesson plan, I’d say there was no “variance with normal testing”. The lesson plan did not ensure teaching all of the required areas, and neither the plan nor the applicant indicated this was known. Sounds like a righteous bust to me.

So you think it is “normal testing” to insist that the applicant present all elements of the task in one single continuous lesson and make no further assessment?

I assume you would agree that it is not per FAA regulations to administer an exam making false claims about the regulations governing those exams - or do you think it is acceptable for DPEs to make such false claims about regulations during the course of the exam?

So you think it is “normal testing” to insist that the applicant present all elements of the task in one single continuous lesson and make no further assessment?
I think it is “normal testing” to either insist that the applicant present either all elements in one lesson, or insist that the applicant specifically indicate, either within the lesson plan or orally when it is presented, that it is one of multiple lessons, the combination of which will meet all of the requirements in the PTS. According to your description and responses to my questions, the applicant did neither.

is there anything that says a lesson plan can’t encompass more than one training session?
Edit: yes.

I assume you would agree that it is not per FAA regulations to administer an exam making false claims about the regulations governing those exams - or do you think it is acceptable for DPEs to make such false claims about regulations during the course of the exam?
I agree, but I don’t think in this case it affected the outcome.

Last edited:
I think it is “normal testing” to either insist that the applicant present either all elements in one lesson, or insist that the applicant specifically indicate, either within the lesson plan or orally when it is presented, that it is one of multiple lessons, the combination of which will meet all of the requirements in the PTS. According to your description and responses to my questions, the applicant did neither.

Thanks. I would be curious to hear what other people think about this also.

I am also curious to hear if you think it is normal for the DPE to tell the applicant “give me a lesson on task X”, listen to the lesson plan, and then perform no further assessment?

I am also curious to hear if you think it is normal for the DPE to tell the applicant “give me a lesson on task X”, listen to the lesson plan, and then perform no further assessment?
I would defer to the PTS, which indicates that it is acceptable.

If you din’t mind my asking further ...

what parts of the PTS are you thinking of?
Unsatisfactory Performance
If, in the judgment of the examiner, the applicant does not meet the standards of performance on any of the Tasks performed, the applicable Area of Operation is considered unsatisfactory and therefore, the practical test is failed. The examiner or applicant may discontinue the test at any time when the failure of an Area of Operation makes the applicant ineligible for the certificate or rating sought.

I would say it’s pretty common to see DPEs here say “teach me about X”, with X being something quite broad, and adding “go until you run out of things to teach or I say stop.”

I would NOT say it’s typical to need those items in any particular order determined by the test standards, HOWEVER, teaching them in an order that goes from basics to more complexed or nuances that truly require prior items, e.g. “stepping stones” — is a best practice for teaching AND a good DPE will he also evaluating that along with the topical knowledge.

At least on a CFI ride, which is what we’re discussing I assume... the lesson plan and the presentation of the material should make some sort of instructional sense.

The old, “Don’t start with the turbocharger, they don’t know what an engine is yet.”

Technically you’ll never truly run out of topics. They all interrelate. Or you can “stepping stone” into a new one.

You’d never teach that much about it in a single sitting perhaps with a student because they’ll hit saturation. You can also bring this up with most examiners as well as ending up discussing how you’d break it up to be most effective, and at the beginning you can ask what level of pilot you’re presumably teaching, etc.

If you’re up to it, asking the simulated student if they have any questions is fairly real world and a long time DPE can probably toss you some absolutely insane questions someone actually asked them when they were confused.

Of course this part of the ride is somewhat a knowledge test, somewhat an organizational test, and somewhat a scenario simulating a real student. If you wander off into deep aerodynamics or say something way out of scope like engineering tolerances for a cylinder being machined, expect the DPE to start playing “confused student” and looking at you funny.

Completely impossible to know truly what the DPE saw (or didn’t see) that they didn’t like in this round of simulated instruction. They have to give a reason within guidelines for the bust, but there’s a lot of subjective evaluation going on alongside the objective evaluation. If you’re just utterly blowing it as an understandable lesson, you’re going to blow some of the objective items at the same time. It’ll completely fall apart and be a “legitimate bust” but there will be more to the story.

At the end of the day you have to know you were giving it everything you’d had to confer information and/or skills via instructional knowledge and not just academic knowledge.

Does that kinda help explain why it’s extremely difficult without being a fly on the wall to truly know the complete picture of a bust on a CFI ride unless you’re the candidate or examiner?

Now... would we all like it if the examiner gave a BETTER description of what they saw going wrong, perhaps more guidance to the candidate after the bust, and even maybe a private chat with the recommending CFI? Absolutely. And many do. But it’s not truly a hard requirement — any legitimate objective bust reason is technically good enough for the paperwork...

And let’s be honest even if it isn’t what FAA wants to hear. Very few rides bust out at the FIRST mistake. DPEs know candidates are stressed and do goofy things. But by the time someone has triggered enough red flags to just out of a CFI ride, there was more than one. Usually three or more things, if we’re all being honest about it.

My bust was absolutely legit. I twisted myself into an incredible mental pretzel over a topic that on a different day I could teach quite well. Frankly I had my head square up and locked a few minutes into that and the DPE gave me at least enough leeway to attempt recovery. I doubled down on a bad instructional technique and made it worse! Ha.

Wasn’t a good day. Fatigue, stress, over-thinking. You name it. I was there.

The bust actually had the effect of removing all that self inflicted pressure and then I worked on the order of ops stuff a bit and relaxed and walked in and actually taught — the next time.

I wouldn’t get too wrapped up in any stories about “this was the only thing I did wrong” or even if it was the only thing written down — because it probably wasn’t going well for a reasonably long period of time before that point.

Annnnd ... the candidate may be missing that too. Which is a shame but I could see it happening.

Not all DPEs will take extra time to give pointers and show a candidate where their mental train went off the tracks. They’re not required to, honestly. Most will. But you’re going to see both types eventually. They literally can’t instruct DURING the evaluation, this is AFTERWARD and most who do, make it a freebie to avoid the image of them charging for instruction to pass second rides. Can’t do that either.

In the end all they’re required to do is write down an objective reason for the bust. Even if they had ten in mind for a half an hour. They’re supposed to halt it at number one, but as already mentioned there’s a bit of human factors involved and they know sometimes nerves just plant someone’s foot square in their mouth. If the candidate can recover quickly and correctly... we never hear about those later on.

I do think it’s a shame that various shenanigans have curtailed the old school ability for recommending CFIs to sit in and watch and listen — that’s a thing of the past now — which could lead to greater understanding of how the train wreck occurred... but also was abused in other ways we’ve discussed here in the past.

On the flip side, greater use of scenario based evaluation seems to be much more effective than the old stump-the-chump style seen far too often long ago.

Bottom line: I bet that oral was going way sideways long before that given reason for stopping it. The recommending CFI may have a lot of work to do to get the whole story and picture out of the candidate to help them fix it, too.

Back when I got my CFI we had a dude show up for his CFI checkride with a video projector. He had every ground lesson prerecorded. He told the examiner that he could play any lesson of himself teaching any of the subjects. He said his plan was to play the video and then answer questions while clearing up any misunderstandings afterwards. That approach wouldn’t work for me but the examiner loved it. The guy was obviously well prepared.

Check out backseat pilot... their lesson plans are awesome.

I’d like to know more about this service. Sounds like it’s a bit more than just lesson plans. What exactly do you like about it? Are you actually teaching with them or just prepping for a CFI ride?

I think I might give them a try. My problem is that I do a lot more than teach primary students these days. Mostly give type specific instruction, etc. Every once in a while I take on an instrument student, multi, or some other primary rating. It would be nice to have a well organized plan that is constantly updated with references and such as they claim.

Back when I got my CFI we had a dude show up for his CFI checkride with a video projector. He had every ground lesson prerecorded. He told the examiner that he could play any lesson of himself teaching any of the subjects. He said his plan was to play the video and then answer questions while clearing up any misunderstandings afterwards. That approach wouldn’t work for me but the examiner loved it. The guy was obviously well prepared.

Was that at ATP Jacksonville by chance? I recall a similar thing around the time I got my ratings (2010)

I'm very curious to hear from those using backseat pilot actively. The idea of not having to chase the ACS around with niggling updates to curriculum is worth a $99 one-time fee to me. Same as my FIRC service.

Was that at ATP Jacksonville by chance? I recall a similar thing around the time I got my ratings (2010)

Nope. It’s was in 2002. Different location

I'm very curious to hear from those using backseat pilot actively. The idea of not having to chase the ACS around with niggling updates to curriculum is worth a $99 one-time fee to me. Same as my FIRC service.

Same! It’d probably save me a LOT of time. Especially being I’m extremely part-time these days:)

When I reviewed them 5ish years ago, I was unimpressed.

I’d like to know more about this service. Sounds like it’s a bit more than just lesson plans. What exactly do you like about it? Are you actually teaching with them or just prepping for a CFI ride?

I think I might give them a try. My problem is that I do a lot more than teach primary students these days. Mostly give type specific instruction, etc. Every once in a while I take on an instrument student, multi, or some other primary rating. It would be nice to have a well organized plan that is constantly updated with references and such as they claim.

I don’t see how you would generally teach from them. They are organized as the tasks in the CFI PTS. So if looking to pass the CFI checkride, worked well for me.

OTOH, I think it makes sense to teach private and commercial I’m a different order which flows more with the pace of training.

The multimedia aspect has always been interesting to me.

There’s zero doubt John and Martha or Machado are better teachers than I — in any objective measure of teaching.

No way anybody would get away with saying that and playing a solid pro video during a CFI ride though — even though I’ve had really great CFIs over the years plop me down in front of one of both varieties. At least for some lessons/concepts.

A solid FAA approved multimedia curriculum — now there’s a pipe dream —but if you truly want standardization...

The books are great. They’re a tad outdated on some things, but they’re also not how modern teachers teach anymore.

Multimedia PLUS reference books has been the norm in almost all other teaching (even if it was just filmstrips or a standardized PowerPoint slide deck) for decades.

You’d think the people in charge of the curriculum might use some 40 year old tech... someday.

To be clear, I have no problem testing teaching ability — but the official materials truly aren’t up to modern standards.

They’re not even up to my grade school’s standard. And I’ve got white hair.

I'm no CFI, but working on earning it.
I had asked advice from a recently minted CFI, and I was originally making my own lesson plans but ended up buying what he did off of procfi.com. (I think it was ~$60)
They even have handouts and endorsement, foi, the works. A bit much to sift through. I practiced teaching aerodynamics with minimal problems and it flows logically, but i agree with others, it feels much better to teach with your own lessons that's suited to your own teaching style. Though bought ones is alright for having the gist and being lazy.

Start with a commercially available syllabus and modify it to your liking. That is what I did and now I have my own published book that others buy and use. Most commercial syllabus go in a logical order where the PTS/ACS are the tasks NOT in logical order. Key words "logical order".

Purchasing someone else's lesson plans is a bad idea. They should be made by each CFI to match their own teaching style.
I would consider using someone else's plans in a heartbeat to line up the topics and organize them in a numbered fashion to help track which lessons the students complete. Having a checklist and possible assignments to hand off to the students is what counts. You want the students to be prepared...I don't think you'll actually be reading a lesson plan on your laptop while in the air with a student. It would be a shame though to not have a thorough lesson and accidentally skip something the student would need for the knowledge test or check ride. I'm a student, but considering becoming a CFI in a few years to build hours.

Back