Another radio calls thread

My girlfriend is learning to fly and her instructor made a call that he was 5 to the North and entering on the circle approach... thanks... now tell me what the hell that means.

If it was an RV, it means 200 MPH to the numbers at 10 feet and then a HARD PULL into a loop, then land;)

I never say "any traffic...." but some of you guys griping about faster airplanes in the traffic pattern should see it from our perspective sometime. You'd be surprised.

Exactly, some of you slow pokes are blowing up our overhead breaks and power off 180s;):D

At my previous airline, our FOM suggested that we don’t call out miles. Instead, use minutes out
Which report helps for see and avoid ...
“minutes out”
or
“position and altitude” (miles out)

Last edited:
Have you answered your own question there? I've been reading these complaints for years now. Why all the mocking? Although I don't remember ever saying it myself as a "private jet pilot", I can see why one might and perhaps I even have forgotten myself. Picture coming up fast on a sleepy little rural airport early in the AM, straight-in, weighing whether to circle or not. If somebody is turning base, the answer would be yes. Someone on crosswind, not so much. Jets are expensive to operate. Asking for a quick snapshot of the traffic situation, if any, helps one decide. So, tell me why all the "annoyance".

ATITAPA is annoying because it tells me nothing and is redundant, saying FastJet 1GF, 15 miles east inbound for podunk is a lot more useful, more efficient, and tells me I should probably tell you where i am, especially if I am east of podunk. if I am some other direction there is no reason to "advise you"

Brian

“minutes out”
or

Minutes (when paired with direction from the aerodrome), and it's not even an argument. I know to look for you in 2-3 (or 5 or 6 or 8 or 10) minutes vs who knows how long when you say 10 (or 15) miles.

This year alone I've covered 10 miles in under 3 minutes, and also taken nearly 8 minutes in the same airplane. Massive tailwinds vs. massive headwinds. So yeah, minutes is way more helpful since 10 miles at 225kts GS or 10 miles at 60kts GS is *only* a variance of 375%

Minutes (when paired with direction from the aerodrome), and it's not even an argument. I know to look for you in 2-3 (or 5 or 6 or 8 or 10) minutes vs who knows how long when you say 10 (or 15) miles.

This year alone I've covered 10 miles in under 3 minutes, and also taken nearly 8 minutes in the same airplane. Massive tailwinds vs. massive headwinds. So yeah, minutes is way more helpful since 10 miles at 225kts GS or 10 miles at 60kts GS is *only* a variance of 375%

But if you're 10 miles NE of Podunk, and someone calls and says they're 10 minutes NE of Podunk . . . are you concerned or not?

“minutes out”
or

Minutes alone are useless and I doubt that he meant that he only gives minutes, rather he was making the point that minutes are more useful than miles for a fast aircraft.

Doesn't help much when I am ten miles from the field flying at 60 and you're at ten miles flying 180.

Back