Crap load of birds right after take off

All general statements are false. Be careful with that word, "absolutely." :)

Gotta be careful with "never" and "always" too. Not to mention "all"!

But general statements? "In general, most humans have two eyes, two ears, a nose and a mouth." For the most part, that's true.

I was on a PALS flight to Presque Isle Maine, popped out of the clouds on final, got about 1/4 mile from the runway and I notice the large grass area before the threshold is all white with what I counted to be 1.2 bajillion sea gulls. I have never seen so many birds in one place. They saw me as I closed and start flying, fortunately the stayed low and flew away from the runway. I landed long and didn't hit any. I told the airport guy, he said oh yeah, I've chased them out about 10 times already today. When I took off it looked like a slaughter near the rwy threshold, someone had taken a bunch out.

Question. Did you have your landing lights on? I have heard of a study out of Ohio State University many years ago finding less bird strikes when the lights were on.
So can we start using “geese in the landing lights” instead of “deer in the headlights”?

I'm wondering how many birds in a crap ton? More than a chit ton but less than a metric chit ton?
Or, are crap and chit interchangeable?

Birdstrike08a.jpg

Final Score:
Mooney 1
Hawk 0

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back