This day in history, 2009

Ted

The pilot formerly known as Twin Engine Ted
Display Name

Display name:
iFlyNothing
I bought the Aztec. Although I've sworn off of Facebook on the whole, I've had reasons to log in now and then and this memory popped up that I posted in 2019:

---

10 years ago today I handed over the check for the Aztruck (Aztec), a 1969 Piper PA-23-250.
She was a worn beast - having been on 135 and 9,000 hours on the airframe with dents in the nose from the ice that had flung off of the props in icing. But she had been a local plane for the previous 5 years or so. My instructor/A&P/friend made me a deal I couldn't turn down on it. If I'd had my druthers, I would've ended up with a 310, but life has a funny way of sometimes getting you what you need instead of what you want.

At the time, I didn't know what exactly was going to happen, and little did I know the ride that would be in store for me. I had the idea for Cloud Nine and a few months later founded the organization and applied for IRS 501(c)3 status. The Aztec was an integral part of that plan, but I also wasn't sure whether it would ever actually go anywhere. I remember filling the tanks for the first time, and the $400 fuel bill made my wallet hurt. I knew nothing about aircraft ownership, didn't have a multi rating, but I had a dream and a plane.

I got my multi rating, and since the insurance required 25 hours of dual anyway I spent that time not only doing the important training, but also doing trips to help learn the capabilities of the plane. Of course try as we might, we never found ice. That wouldn't happen until going to @tonycondon 's wedding in October of that year when, of course, I didn't have my instructor on board.

I could not have had a better first plane. The Aztec was rugged beyond belief, forgiving, and above all, capable. I flew that plane from coast to coast, including a trip from LA to NYC in one day with 47 chihuahuas. I crossed the Gulf of Mexico with it 6 times. I made numerous trips to remote regions of uncontrolled airspace in Canada with it. The plane had the glide ratio of a Steinway, an attribute that came in handy. Much flying around thunderstorms. It would handle any ice thrown at it, and would handle any turbulence you put it through. While regional pilots were literally crying on the radio, the Aztruck just droned along, never missing a beat. I learned a great deal about owning and optimizing an airplane, skills that would make me a good caretaker for the 310, 414, and now MU-2.

I owned the Aztec almost exactly 4 years and put just under 1,000 hours on it with so many firsts and so many memories. The reality is most of those hours were in the first three years of ownership. By year 4 I had decided to sell the plane, as the 310 had been donated and I saw that I couldn't justify owning two planes. Year 4 had under 50 hours on the plane. The Aztec was pushing 10,000 hours TTAF and was having a number of aging airframe issues popping up that made it a difficult plane to sell, plus one engine past TBO, paint that had gotten fairly ratty, and an interior that had shown the wear and tear of nearly 750 dogs and cats being transported. However, the right buyer came along - Texas State Technical College in KHRL. They were looking for a good airplane for the students to work on, practice run-ups, etc. and wanted a plane that wasn't completely beaten up and unairworthy. When the buyer first approached me about it, he did so very humbly, sounding as if he'd been yelled at by a number of owners who thought their airplanes were "too good" for such a fate. My response was, "That would be a good use for this plane." We struck a deal, and I sold the plane for the same purchase price I had initially bought it for 4 years prior. Not bad for 1,000 hours and no engine or prop overhauls.

As part of the deal, I agreed to deliver the plane from Ohio (where I was then living) to KHRL, giving me the satisfaction of the plane's final flight. When arriving at KHRL, I asked for, and received permission for, a low pass. Shutting down those engines and hearing the gyros spool down for the last time was very hard.

I could never have imagined the adventure over the past 10 years that plane started me down, but it's been a great ride. 2,500 or so multi hours later having flown the Aztec, 310, Navajos, Cheyennes, Commanders, the 414, and now the MU-2, all I can say is I've been very blessed.
A little worse for wear with a few more dents in the nose, I got one last picture with the old girl before heading home.

The first picture, 2009:

The last picture, 2013:

Last edited:
Wow! The AzTruck still graces my living room. Leah and I had photos taken with it at our wedding :D I think you picked up my cousin and nephew in Cleveland on the way? Good memories Ted.

Thanks for the post Ted.
It's possible there aren't two more ardent fans of the underestimated and underappreciated Aztruk than you and I on this forum (well, possibly @Kristin too).
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Last edited:
Reactions: Ted
Great story on your journey with the old Aztruck. I have my hours in a couple of Toads (that's what we called them from the flying toad emblem on the yoke) in the mid 80's when I flew 135. Similar stories of flying through all kinds of weather, hearing the slung ice banging on the side of the fuselage at night too.
Not the fastest, or the prettiest, but what a pickup truck that could carry ice.
This is one of the one's I used to fly.

012 (1024x732).jpg

Wow! The AzTruck still graces my living room. Leah and I had photos taken with it at our wedding :D I think you picked up my cousin and nephew in Cleveland on the way? Good memories Ted.

Yes, you told Leah I said it was ok to take wedding photos with the Aztec and then asked me. Of course I wouldn't have said no anyway, as you knew. ;)

And correct, I picked up (and dropped off) your cousin and nephew in Cleveland on the way out and back.

47 Chihuahuas? Sure you didn’t mean 47 chalupas?

...The last picture, 2013:

This picture reminded me of a November trip with the Aztec into KGPI. It was just before the start of the Thanksgiving weekend. The ramp at Glacier Jet was filling up with the usual assortment of expensive kerosene powered aluminum bringing in the wealthy refugees from California and Texas.

I was heading to Priest River, Idaho and asked to have the outboards topped up. The lovely young lady behind the desk called the fueler on the radio and requested him to attend to "that little airplane out there". I wonder what she would have said if it was an MU2, LOL.

Back