A slightly different headset comparison question...

Feassarian

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Feassarian
Flew in the Air Force for several years - the standard issue was DC H10-76 over the ear headsets - I loved these while in the service - the gel pads were comfortable and even flying on a load C-130, they did a lot to reduce the noise.

Fast forward - I am finishing my flight training for PPL - my instructor flies with Lightspeed Zulu2 - she likes them, speaks well of them. I have jumped back and forth on whether to try our Bose or Lightspeed - but I still have some nostalgic affection for my DC's

So the question of the day - anyone previously used the H10-76 (preferably who liked them as well) who has also tried out the DC ONE-X and can offer a comparison on the experience? Do the ONE-X have as good of a build quality as the H10? Comfort, sound quality? Yes, I know headsets are a "personal" preference for most - but I am hoping there are some who can compare the H10 and the ONE-X

Safe flight for all!

-f

I've been flying for almost 20 years and I still prefer my David Clark H10s to any of the ANR headsets that I've tried. To me there isn't a big difference in background noise level and I seemed to get a headache whenever I would wear an ANR set for more than a short flight. There is something about the noise cancelling frequencies generated in the ANR headsets that do not work well with my ears. I have tried the Lightspeed Zulu, Bose, and some cheaper models as well and I just don't understand what the appeal is. For others, maybe they find the ANR sets to be a benefit, but I just haven't found that to be the case for me. I may be in the minority here, but when you look at the price, durability, comfort and quality of the DC H10 sets, there is no better set to be found.

I've been flying for almost 20 years and I still prefer my David Clark H10s to any of the ANR headsets that I've tried. To me there isn't a big difference in background noise level and I seemed to get a headache whenever I would wear an ANR set for more than a short flight. There is something about the noise cancelling frequencies generated in the ANR headsets that do not work well with my ears. I have tried the Lightspeed Zulu, Bose, and some cheaper models as well and I just don't understand what the appeal is. For others, maybe they find the ANR sets to be a benefit, but I just haven't found that to be the case for me. I may be in the minority here, but when you look at the price, durability, comfort and quality of the DC H10 sets, there is no better set to be found.

I agree on so much of this - in fact if it wasn't fore the fact my DC H10 are 20 years old and I know things have changed, I wouldn't even blink... Figured I should at least inquire about newer DC technology though - my current H10 set may just need some TLC maintenance and be good as new again... I noticed on several of my flights through, my instructor seemed to "hear" ATC better than I did and she didn't cut out as often as I did - might have just been my connection, but thought the headset could have just been newer/better

Thanks for the insights!

-f

The easiest thing to do is buy them and try them out. They all have generous return policies. No one else can tell you how a headset will work on your head in your cockpit. It’s like asking the Internet about shoes.

Definitely, do this despite anyone else's advice or personal experience. I did this and found that I prefer the H10 passive set the best. Your experience may be much different than mine and you find the ANR sets to be much better. No matter what anyone tries to tell you, there is no way to know unless you test them out for yourself.

Ditto - you really have to try the headsets on.

Go to a flight store where they have displays / demos of the A 20, Light Speed, and DC's. Try each on. Will your spouse also be using it in the future? Have her try on as well.

For example, the Bose just didn't fit my ears / head as well as the Light Speed (Zulu 3). DC just didn't feel that good.

My only advice is to get the quietest, most comfortable you can. Bose A 20, Light Speed Zulu, or one of the DC X's. I had a DC 10 passive before, but compared to the active noise reduction of the Zulu it was night and day. You may think the DC 10 is quiet enough, but probably because you haven't had anything quieter.

I do have a Clarity Aloft, but don't recommend them. Inserting the ear buds is a PITA, and I've already had one set go bad and now the replacement set is dead on the right ear.

Does your flight school sell any of the headsets you are considering? Where I learned to fly they sold Lightspeeds and were more than willing to let me try them out while on some of my training flights and would likely continue to let me try them out if I wanted to now. This allowed me to test them out and see what I liked. I have an older DC ANR headset that works great for me, but my wife loves the Lightspeeds we got from Pigpen here on the forum. If I miss any feature of the newer headset its the ability to bluetooth to my phone. Not so much for phone calls but so I can hear any alerts flightplan go might broadcast while using ADS-b for traffic. I'm not even sure if FLTPlan go does that or not so I'm good. Back to the response though, try them out if able for a short cross country flight to see what you like. With the borrowed Zulu's I noticed a headache near the end of my flight that stayed with me for a few hours after landing. Not terrible, but not something I'd want every time I fly and the DC ANR doesn't give me the same headache.

Edit to clarify a couple things after I re-read my post since it even confused me a bit:
- The lightspeeds from PigPenRacing do have bluetooth, my wife and even daughter enjoy this feature to play their own music when we fly and not saturate the circuit with whatever they are listening to.
- When saying I do not have bluetooth, I was referring to my specific headset which is an older DC ANR headset without bluetooth.

Last edited:
Mr. Kumley for the win. Forgot about PipPenRacing. If you decide you like LightSpeeds (Zulu), he sells used sets that you'd have a hard time telling from new. He puts on new ear pads, mic cover, etc. He has thoughts about the other manufacturers he'd be glad to share with you - he only sells LightSpeeds. (I bought a pair of Zulu's for my wife - great headset, looks brand new).

Headsets are so personal in terms of fit and performance. Have to try them. However, I will say that based on my own personal experience, there is no way I would ever go back to passive headsets after using an ANR headset. I'm still using a generation 1 Lightspeed Zulu. I've been through several earpad replacements, and have polished all the gook off the control box with isopropanol, but they are still going strong after a decade of use. Despite protestations of the manufacturer, they work great with NiMH rechargeables. I keep spare set of rechargeable in my flight bag as well as one pair of alkalines for longer-term storage just in case.

My ancient David Clark headsets seemed to be losing their passive noise cancelling ability. I replaced the foam and ear seals with a kit from Oregon Aero.Headset-Upgrade-Kit.jpg

Another DC headset maintenance tip is to use fine Scotchbrite to remove the oxide layer from the brass phone and mic plugs.

I can't imagine going back to a passive (non ANR) headset. My headset progression was something like DC H10-13.4 (passive) > DC H10-13x (basically the H10-13.4 but with ANR) > Zulu 3, and each step up was an amazing improvement in comfort and performance. You may like what you like just because it's what you know. Or you may like what you like because it's actually better... but FWIW, I doubt it. You owe it to yourself to try a higher-end ANR headset before making a decision.

I can't imagine going back to a passive (non ANR) headset. My headset progression was something like DC H10-13.4 (passive) > DC H10-13x (basically the H10-13.4 but with ANR) > Zulu 3, and each step up was an amazing improvement in comfort and performance. You may like what you like just because it's what you know. Or you may like what you like because it's actually better... but FWIW, I doubt it. You owe it to yourself to try a higher-end ANR headset before making a decision.
Amen to that ... my hearing wishes I could wind back the clock and use ANR headsets at the first possibility 45 years ago...

Amen to that ... my hearing wishes I could wind back the clock and use ANR headsets at the first possibility 45 years ago...

What do you, or did you fly that was so stinking loud that a PNR headset let you down?

My only minor gripe on my Zulu is the clamping force is a bit tight and I have to take them off for a few minutes during long trips. Maybe I just have a big head...I hope.

I can't imagine going back to a passive (non ANR) headset.
I agree. My first were a set of Peltors I had converted. We're talking along time ago.

But the real answer is, as others said, to try them. In flight if possible. If what I like is the same as what you like, it's a coincidence. Until the Bose/Lightspeed revolution, David Clark was THE headset. It was everywhere. And their customer service was legendary. Everyone loved them and they even had panache! I put one on and disliked them immediately. I did like the first generation over-the-ear ANR but gave even the up a few years later.

I flew with DC H-10-40 (passive) for years and liked them. There may be more comfortable headsets but I got used to them. I upgraded to H10-13x (ANC) and really like them. Again, I am used to the clamping of the DC's. One thing I've noticed about the -13x is the effectiveness of ANC varies according to the aircraft. Works great in the Bonanza but in a Citabria they have very little effect. Different frequencies of ambient noise, I guess. The ANCs make a world of difference in understanding ATC. One other pointer: if you wear glasses or sunglasses, get frames that are flat at the temples for a decent seal of the headset against your head.

I can't imagine giving up my Halo head sets. Worn properly, they are as quiet as the Bose A20 I have for passengers, some of the other ITE headsets may be better but the Halo beats the Bose for me. Before you ask, yes, I do fly a quiet airplane...

A 1929 open cockpit biplane with a 300HP Jacobs.;)

What do you, or did you fly that was so stinking loud that a PNR headset let you down?
40 hours in a C-150 with NO headset
1000 hours in an E-2 Hawkeye with helmet and somewhat sloppy fitting ear cups. Flight Surgeon said "wear earplugs" ... hard to communicate effectively on 5 radios with earplugs stuffed in the canals under the helmet.
And then my first ANRs ... but by that time significant hearing loss and tinitus

More than about 30-35 years ago headsets weren't in widespread use in GA. I can't believe now that I trained for my PPL with a hand mic, crappy speaker, and shouting. And a C152 or AA1A is really loud in the pilot seat. Headsets were a revelation. I wired a portable intercom in my AA1A nd bought a cheap Telex headset shortly after purchasing the plane.

40 hours in a C-150 with NO headset
1000 hours in an E-2 Hawkeye with helmet and somewhat sloppy fitting ear cups. Flight Surgeon said "wear earplugs" ... hard to communicate effectively on 5 radios with earplugs stuffed in the canals under the helmet.
And then my first ANRs ... but by that time significant hearing loss and tinitus
Sounds very familiar. My career started with almost 40 hours in a C-150 (neither I nor the CFI wore any headset) followed by almost 1,500 hours, most of it in the EA-6B Prowler, with low tech PNR only (hey, it was the 80s...). Yep, I've got a bit of that tinnitus going on too. And most of the time, I added the little yellow "foamies" in my ears under the helmet, and still have damage! It's very ironic that BASIC HEARING PROTECTION seems to be the least discussed of the headset issues. Cost, ANR/PNR, clarity, over/in, fit and feel, sexiness, convenience, and so on ALL seem to draw more attention and discussion than what's most interesting to me: HEARING PROTECTION & PRESERVATION. Obviously, this is a pilot's discussion forum, not one for audiometry (or whatever it's called...) folks, but does anyone have any input about which are best/worst/other for hearing protection/preservation?

I flew with DC H-10-40 (passive) for years and liked them. There may be more comfortable headsets but I got used to them. I upgraded to H10-13x (ANC) and really like them. Again, I am used to the clamping of the DC's. One thing I've noticed about the -13x is the effectiveness of ANC varies according to the aircraft. Works great in the Bonanza but in a Citabria they have very little effect. Different frequencies of ambient noise, I guess. The ANCs make a world of difference in understanding ATC. One other pointer: if you wear glasses or sunglasses, get frames that are flat at the temples for a decent seal of the headset against your head.

David Clark sells little rubber fillet devices you can slide onto the temples of your glasses to render a smoother contour at the seal/temple/head "junction". I used a pair when I was still using a Faro G2 ANR because I found the gap caused by my shades sometimes messed with the ANR. It's nice to find something that works well in aviation for under $10!

Off topic, but related. When I was reading a book about the X-15, I learned that David Clark originally made and sold women’s girdles, with unique seam construction; which is why they were picked to develop the space suits for the X-15 pilots. DC eventually branched out to headsets.

Off topic, but related. When I was reading a book about the X-15, I learned that David Clark originally made and sold women’s girdles
Ah, that would explain why the headsets are so snug on your head.

I'm here all week, folks. Try the veal.

Off topic, but related. When I was reading a book about the X-15, I learned that David Clark originally made and sold women’s girdles, with unique seam construction; which is why they were picked to develop the space suits for the X-15 pilots. DC eventually branched out to headsets.
So, in addition to being a pain-inflicting sado-masochist, Clark also had a lingerie fetish? :p

David Clark sells little rubber fillet devices you can slide onto the temples of your glasses to render a smoother contour at the seal/temple/head "junction". I used a pair when I was still using a Faro G2 ANR because I found the gap caused by my shades sometimes messed with the ANR. It's nice to find something that works well in aviation for under $10!
Thanks. I found them on their website. They are called Stop Gaps. Appropriate, I would say.

I’ve had a DC H10-40 for decades and about 10 years ago upgraded that unit with the “ANR headset retrofit kit” by Headsets Inc, $159 at Spruce. That works well and is now my primary headset in my open cockpit gyro.

I moved over to the Quiet Technologies Halo about 8 years ago and will stay with that. Not ANR but as quiet as my ANR’d DC and way more comfortable, especially on long trips. I still have the original set, although it did need a tuneup midway ($100, I think). I highly recommend you put that on the to-try list.

If you do the ANR retro, it uses a 9v battery in a box on a cord. Rechargeable Li-ion batteries work great for that and last probably 12 hours each.

Back