Let's talk Garmin Databases

Mtns2Skies

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Mtns2Skies
Those of you with newer Garmin products, how do you prioritize what Garmin databases you're going to purchase? Do you pony up and buy all of them? To keep my new GI275's fully up-to-date would be just shy of $1000/year in database costs... to contrast that with my Aera 660 it's only $150/ year + $25 per Garmin Radio. I'm thinking of only updating terrain and obstacles in the GI275's which would be $200/year and that's what's most useful to me with what the synthetic vision enables.

I primarily use the Aera for navigation, so I don't think keeping the nav databases or safetaxi up-to-date is terribly worthwhile. Another point in the *why I don't want an IFR GPS* column.

Curious what others do with these obscene database costs.

Terrain shouldn’t change, right? New man-made obstacles, I could understand.

You don't need any database, since you don't have an IFR GPS. It sounds like it's a lot cheaper to keep using your portable Aera 660 for terrain, obstacles, and synthetic vision, so why not stick with that, and let the GI-275s just be normal instruments?

I do have an IFR GPS, and it costs a few hundred a year to keep it current. Don't pay that when you don't have to.

For IFR, I update the map and procedure data regularly via subscription, and do the terrain as a one-time update every year or two.

Is the terrain required to be updated in the database for legal use of the instrument? I don’t understand what about terrain would change over centuries. Why buy it/bother?

One Pak is the way to go, particularly if you have multiple products.

Is the terrain required to be updated in the database for legal use of the instrument? I don’t understand what about terrain would change over centuries. Why buy it/bother?

Only current nav data is required. You don't even have to update if the fixes don't change.

Is this a different website? I don't see it on Fly Garmin.

You need to create a login and register your devices. Then click on “buy databases”.
P.S. looks like pricing went up since last time I bought it ($499), because I added a 660. So price depends on what equipment you have.

Is this a different website? I don't see it on Fly Garmin.
You need to create a login and register your devices. Then click on “buy databases”.
P.S. looks like pricing went up since last time I bought it ($499), because I added a 660. So price depends on what equipment you have.
Yes, and after you log in and click on "buy databases", select "bundles" in step 3 and then click on "OnePak". But before that, make sure your GI275's and GNC/GTR's are registered.

Screen Shot 2020-12-25 at 5.29.33 AM.png

No, the terrain database is not required for IFR operations. What does change in terrain/obstacle maps are man-made obstructions--towers, windmills, buildings, etc. The terrain database is a nice feature to alert pilots to potential conflicts, but not required. I'd you fly approaches correctly, you should avoid terrain.

Procedures alone are $299/yr for one device. If you bundle devices, the price goes up dramatically, depending on options.

It's not terrain I'm after, but obstacles. If you don't have the most current obstacle database, it won't display anything for obstacles, which I'm particularly worried about power lines for some of the flying I do.

I signed up for the just under $1000/ year package from Garmin. Comes with all databases, charts, approaches, everything for my G3X, GTN650 and GNS530. I don't think that price is unreasonable especially when you consider that the same thing for my work airplane is $30k+ for the year.

It's not terrain I'm after, but obstacles. If you don't have the most current obstacle database, it won't display anything for obstacles, which I'm particularly worried about power lines for some of the flying I do.

Wouldn't the updates for the 660 alone give you that?

Question: How did you configure each of your GI -275s? Syn viz on the ADI? Map view on the HSI?

Wouldn't the updates for the 660 alone give you that?

Question: How did you configure each of your GI -275s? Syn viz on the ADI? Map view on the HSI?
Yes, but it's much nicer on the GI275's higher resolution, and I use the Aera for navigation and as a EFB.

I can toggle through 3 screens on the HSI. One is my reversionary back-up AI with navigation and alt/airspeed, another view is a simple HSI-only view, and the third as shown below is HSI overlaid on a moving map.
IMG_20200922_191531 (1).jpg

Yes, but it's much nicer on the GI275's higher resolution, and I use the Aera for navigation and as a EFB.

I can toggle through 3 screens on the HSI. One is my reversionary back-up AI with navigation and alt/airspeed, another view is a simple HSI-only view, and the third as shown below is HSI overlaid on a moving map.
View attachment 92701

Every time I see a picture of it I have to say that's fine looking panel you have there Austin!
I need the reversionary back-up AI as well, and really think the map overlay would be really nice as I tend to run my GNS navigator on the default nav page when IFR.

I am about to spend the first serious panel $ on the Aztec since purchasing in more than 8 years ago. It still has the original King KMA 20 audio panel - I think it's serial #1 - and a separate retrofit intercom on the far right side where I can't reach it. It went through a partial King upgrade about 30 years ago when they put in a KX-155 nav/com and a King IFR GPS. The panel on the Aztec is so big it seems they just kept adding stuff and never took anything out, LOL. Time for a "great leap forward". :D

Is the screen resolution on the GI-275s really that much better than the Aera 660? I thought the Garmin portables would have been ahead of the certified stuff they produce?

Is the screen resolution on the GI-275s really that much better than the Aera 660? I thought the Garmin portables would have been ahead of the certified stuff they produce?

It really is. The Aera is no slouch either, but the 275's are out of this world. My Aera is also 3.5 years old at this point, and maybe the newer ones have nicer displays... or just less worn out from sitting in a cold/hot hangar all the time.

1090ADSB and an IFR GPS are all that's left on the list, but the latter will happen when VOR's are as far gone as NDB's are now.

The reason is pricing. Garmin has things priced so that it makes more sense subscribe to everything. If I subscribed to just navdata and obstacles for Canada and the US—the two things that I care about having up to date—that would be CAD 780/year (USD 585/year) for my GTN 650. Or, for CAD 790/year (USD 593), I can get a bundle with navdata, obstacles, SafeTaxi, basemap, and terrain, and the first three updated every cycle.

It really is. The Aera is no slouch either, but the 275's are out of this world. My Aera is also 3.5 years old at this point, and maybe the newer ones have nicer displays... or just less worn out from sitting in a cold/hot hangar all the time.

1090ADSB and an IFR GPS are all that's left on the list, but the latter will happen when VOR's are as far gone as NDB's are now.

There's an A36-TC Bonanza in the hangar next door to me that's currently undergoing a GTN-750 + dual GI -275s installation. He has the same issue I do, functioning legacy autopilot, which caused him to go with the dual 275s. The 750 is replacing his 530W.

The techs were setting things up just before the holiday started and I went over to have a look. I could only look from behind the wing through the open door, but the displays on the 275 looked really sharp and vivid. Looking forward to inspecting it closer from inside the airplane once he gets it home.

Yes, and after you log in and click on "buy databases", select "bundles" in step 3 and then click on "OnePak". But before that, make sure your GI275's and GNC/GTR's are registered.

View attachment 92684
It appears there are no available onepaks for GI275's at this point. Probably too new and Garmin wants to milk early adopters.

Looks like you have the syn viz on the ADI? Can that be easily toggled on/off as well? I wonder about that on the small screen? Thoughts after flying with it appreciated.

Looks like you have the syn viz on the ADI? Can that be easily toggled on/off as well? I wonder about that on the small screen? Thoughts after flying with it appreciated.
Yep easily toggled on/off, though it's a $900 add-on so if you spring for it, I'd use it :). Definitely the most useful feature to me, if I didn't have that I would have sprung for the much cheaper/simpler RC Allen's.

GNX375 and be done with it. Otherwise, you're spending $6000 for the standalone version of the GTX345 vs. $7600 for the GNX375.

It appears there are no available onepaks for GI275's at this point. Probably too new and Garmin wants to milk early adopters.

Not true - I have a OnePak that covers both my GTN 750 and my GI 275.

There may not be OnePaks for *ONLY* GI 275s, though... I doubt there's a whole lot of people who have that configuration. Is there anything available when you click "All Bundles"? What did you decide to do?

Is it possible to add newly purchased Garmin avionics under an existing OnePak subscription?

Is it possible to add newly purchased Garmin avionics under an existing OnePak subscription?
Garmin support has always been very flexible with me about subscriptions for portable devices. If it's the same people supporting the panel-mount subscriptions, it's worth giving them a call and asking.

Is there anything available when you click "All Bundles"? What did you decide to do?
No when I do that I get a note that says "excludes GI275" Haven't done anything yet. No real rush, everything still works great, even if outdated.

Back