Medical Application Question

I know what I am capable of, I would not get in an airplane if I did not think it was safe. However, if I disclose certain conditions to the FAA, I might never be given the chance to prove that I can be a safe pilot.
and ted bundy never thought he had a problem.............................

Some of the other posters have issues connecting the dots haha. But this OP was first on here with his real name asking a question, which was immediately replied with Do NOT submit anything and cancel his appointment with his AME. He submitted another thread with an Annonymous username (he learned a little bit), but now came out with the full story (Oops I submitted it, can I submit it again, under a new alias) under a third name and after talking to you thinking we wouldn’t connect the dots.

Come on kid, slow it down, think and make a plan before you act. You screwed up, stop listening to anyone on a forum and seek paid professional help to cure your mistake.
This is the best advice of the entire thread^ it would be wise to heed it OP.

Medical conditions that are disqualifying are that way for a reason. If you want to create another profile and not disclose those conditions, how does that make you safer? It doesn’t.

If you have a condition, roll with it. You need to follow through with whatever condition you have and go through the steps to properly adjudicate it. That is the best way to deal with this in the long run.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don’t know exactly what issues OP has, but I have my own disqualifying conditions with regards to the FAA. The problem is many of these disqualifying conditions are not curable, but can be treated. Yet the FAA is living like it’s psychiatry in the 1950’s.
Can someone explain why only 4 SSRI’s are permitted in the exemptions? No SNRI’s, no taking two SSRI’s even if they are approved at the same time? It’s because the FAA is looking at risk and saying the best way to mitigate is to de facto deny those affected from flying at all. But the truth is that policy is inherently flawed. Sure it’s great for passenger flights, and large cargo aircraft, but for your average Joe, all it’s doing is barring a hobby for thousands.

And for all the people who say get well first before looking to fly, in my personal situation I went from 4 years of depression, suicidal ideation, and finally culminating in an attempt. But at that point a few months later, my parents acknowledged and no longer resisted my passion for NFA firearms, and I honestly haven’t had a depressive day in over a year and a half.

And it’s not far fetched for me to believe that some kids passion may be aviation, and getting denied because of a ailment that they didn’t ask for would leave them worse off than they started.

I would have offered you help but your approach was “how to lie?”
“Can they find it?”
As opposed to: “if I’m honest...here are the details...what is required?”
There is no place on the flight deck for LIARS.
Doctors Chien I have immense respect for the work you have done, and certainly no one here has to support this, however calling a spade a spade, I don’t think everything is necessarily black and white. I deal with firearms as a business, and hypothetically I’m not going to care if someone had a illegal machine gun grandpa brought back from ww2 (hell I probably would cheer them on) vs someone I know of who has a domestic violence conviction and yet is posting online selfies with a glock.

I have much more sympathy for someone who lied on their medical about their Aspergers or mild ADHD, vs someone who was buzzed while in the cockpit.
What you don't understand is that you have already proven you can't be a safe pilot.

The intentional lie means the FAA can't trust you with other people's lives. The FAA has a duty to those living under our flight paths (and those who might fly in your plane) to ensure their safety.

(Let’s flash back this argument 45 years ago. I bet you homosexuality was innately disqualifying, or hell even 10 years ago with trans sexual people.)

An applicant who lies on the medical application must be viewed as someone who will lie about other aspects of being a pilot. It's the way they have to be. They have zero obligation or motivation to give a liar a second chance.

(Someone want to use that logic with the authority which has full and unfettered access on this nation’s nuclear arsenal?)

I'm not moralizing here, just stating the perspective.

Flying an airplane has very little to do with being a "safe" pilot. It's the ADM that makes a safe pilot.

and ted bundy never thought he had a problem.............................
Jesus Christ man... you understand that people with mental illness are likely to be the victim 95% of the time?

Ted Bundy
Andreas Lubitz

Those aholes are the very rare exception, not the rule.

Ted Bundy and Gestapo. Did not think one could weave that into a thread.

Doctors (sic) Chien I have immense respect for the work you have done, and certainly no one here has to support this, however calling a spade a spade, I don’t think everything is necessarily black and white...
You do realize Doc Bruce’s involvement in the FAA’s SSRI protocol, don’t you?

OP: Nevermind the MDA is 900 feet, I know my personal minimums and what I’m capable of, keep going...

I saw a YouTube video where a guy did this.... hmmmmmm.....

You do realize Doc Bruce’s involvement in the FAA’s SSRI protocol, don’t you?
Very much aware it was a major step forward, I also however understand that bureaucratic restraints generally slow progress on policy to a snail’s pace. (I.E. having a 40 year fight on possession of marijuana, only to finally have a recognition of the futility of it, in the last 10 years).

And I have little doubt the FAA will update it’s medical parodical in due time via more exemptions, better understanding that not everything can be so easily defined rather than existing on a spectrum, or hell even through eliminating 3rd class medical all together.

But I’m curious to see if the FAA will wake up to these realities themselves and advocate for such policies, or if congress would drag them kicking and screaming. Along with how many decades will it take.

The Doctor certainly blazed the trail, and still is the foremost expert on getting complex cases through the FAA.

Very much aware it was a major step forward, I also however understand that bureaucratic restraints generally slow progress on policy to a snail’s pace. (I.E. having a 40 year fight on possession of marijuana, only to finally have a recognition of the futility of it, in the last 10 years).

And I have little doubt the FAA will update it’s medical parodical in due time via more exemptions, better understanding that not everything can be so easily defined rather than existing on a spectrum, or hell even through eliminating 3rd class medical all together.

But I’m curious to see if the FAA will wake up to these realities themselves and advocate for such policies, or if congress would drag them kicking and screaming. Along with how many decades will it take.

The Doctor certainly blazed the trail, and still is the foremost expert on getting complex cases through the FAA.
Neither is going to happen. It’s not important enough nor financially feasible to thr FAA nor Congress. General Aviation is, for the most part, an annoyance to the FAA much like a mosquito. We have to live with the rules designed for Part 121. No amount of complaining is going to change that. No amount of “when will the FAA realize... (fill in the blank)...” This is why Part 61 keeps getting bigger. Every time something/someone screws up, a new rule is written.

Jesus Christ man... you understand that people with mental illness are likely to be the victim 95% of the time?

Ted Bundy
Andreas Lubitz

Doesn’t matter to the FAA.

Ted Bundy
Andreas Lubitz

Excuse me? Thousands of people a year are killed by people that swear that “I don’t have a drinking problem, drug problem, I know when I can drive.” The biggest problem in dealing with addiction and mental issues is getting the person to accept they have issues that need help. For the most part, people that have addiction, substance abuse issues, depression etc seldom know what they are capable of. Most the people That I know that are recovering from these types of issues, almost always say, “ I had no idea how bad of a condition I was in”. The faa is cautious because the know the recidivism rates. I have friends on ssri’s that are doing great on their meds, but can get really scary if they stray at all from their treatment.

What do you mean by "applied." If you went to an AME and he opened your MedExpress application, it's in your history and any AME (even a different one) will see it. It will be right there for them to look at.

However, we can't give you advice on how to lie to the FAA. That's a crime (and in addition risks any certificates you have when you will eventually be caught).

And giving advice on how to lie is probably a crime also (or maybe that is what @FlyingIron meant?)

Medical conditions that are disqualifying are that way for a reason.
True if the “reason” is that the FAA decided they are disqualifying.

For private pilots, none of these are clearly related to the actual safety of flight because there is no good evidence that the requirement for a 3rd class medical improves the safety of flight.

The present evidentiary situation might be described as the FAA has some indirect arguments that their experience with alcoholic problems applies and the data from sport pilots suggests otherwise.

So I think people are justified in thinking many of these restrictions by the FAA are a pain. Luckily an SI can often be obtained if a pilot can show they are safe to fly - given enough time and money.

Thus the advice to find a professional to help straighten it out rather than taking a legal risk.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back