Air Wagner..... He’s baaaaackk.

I don't think the comments are anywhere near vile enough, considering A) the reality is most of us are really hoping to save this knuck****le's life,

The vile comments are more along the line of people telling him to basically die. They're pretty bad

I don't think the comments are anywhere near vile enough, considering A) the reality is most of us are really hoping to save this knuck****le's life...
Ah...so all the trash talking here is out of concern for his wellbeing. Gotcha.

Nauga,
who knows it's easier to tear down than build up.

Ah...so all the trash talking here is out of concern for his wellbeing. Gotcha.

Nauga,
who knows it's easier to tear down than build up.

lol well I can't speak for anyone else, but for me the progression went something like this:

man this guy is annoying. and dangerous.
hey dude, you're dangerous, you're gonna hurt yourself!
uh, HEY DUDE, you're dangerous, you're gonna hurt yourself!
hey dipsht, you're gonna hurt SOMEONE ELSE, like one of your unsuspecting pax or wife who don't know any better.
ah fk it, you're a complete idiot and you deserve all the ball busting the internet can dish out on ya.

I haven't watched it but I have heard that he explained in a later video that the sound wasn't a stall warning but the sound of the autopilot disconnect.

So it seems the sudden nose drop and recovery was not a stall, but just the normal control lapse which happens anytime a good pilot turns off his autopilot.

I just watched the video posted above and he did explain it as autopilot disconnect. Then he disconnected his autopilot and it could be mistaken for a stall horn. I don't' watch his videos so not a defense of him per se. But like I said, his autopilot disconnect does sound similar to some stall horns.

Thanks! I was hesitant to admit the truth and now ask forgiveness!:p

This might make some people crazy, but I actually sweeten my sweet tea at some places (yes, here in Georgia) because it's not sweet enough for me. A true southern boy from GA that grew up on really sweet tea. lol.

No worse than trying to accomplish that goal on a regular basis while flying.
I see it like standing on the street looking up yelling "JUMP!" In other words, much worse.

Nauga,
who knows one doesn't need COVID-19 to be tasteless

Where do I get one of those NorCal Approach tshirts?

I would fly as his passenger. I think some people just like to pile on. We crucified him for stalling on the missed. Turns out it was his AP disconnect. We excoriated him for flying through clouds VFR. Turns out people said they could see through them. We slammed him for talk of secondary minimums. The more I thought of it, the more sense that made. If he is voicing awareness of the straight in and circling minimums, understanding the limitations, I see nothing wrong with that. I admit that if I'm doing a practice LPV, I don't even look at the circling minimums. I will change that.

Would I have done things differently, or perhaps better? I hope so.

I would fly as his passenger. I think some people just like to pile on. We crucified him for stalling on the missed. Turns out it was his AP disconnect. We excoriated him for flying through clouds VFR. Turns out people said they could see through them. We slammed him for talk of secondary minimums. The more I thought of it, the more sense that made. If he is voicing awareness of the straight in and circling minimums, understanding the limitations, I see nothing wrong with that. I admit that if I'm doing a practice LPV, I don't even look at the circling minimums. I will change that.

Would I have done things differently, or perhaps better? I hope so.
When you practice an LPV approach, make sure to check whether it actually has LPV minimums. The approach Air Wagner followed what he called a glideslope on to an indicated altitude of 960 or less before going missed has an LP MDA of 980 and no LPV DA. Understanding the plate is a critical part of safe IFR flight. Having a plan to descend to the LP MDA if you don’t have the necessary visual references to circle at the circling MDA is not my style but not necessarily a bad idea. Descending below the MDA because you disregard the difference between LPV and LP is a patently bad idea.

First, I can't believe ATC somewhere hasn't jumped on this guy. He spends more time trying to be the funny/cute guy on the radio then he does using proper ATC phraseology and procedures. He uses so much unneeded wording that eats up air time, that it's embarrassing. He's a total motor mouth on the radio. Posting his videos, trying to garner ATC feedback with little quirks, his tight turns to final, etc etc, all feed his much needed ego. I've been an instructor for 45 plus years, and I can truthfully say he's one of the most dangerous pilots I've ever seen. Sad part is he doesn't recognize it and is not receptive to any suggestions. It's a very very sad and scary situation.

Jason Miller (of The Finer Points) is flying out of Auburn now on occasion. I'd pitch in $20 to watch those two make a video together.

I doubt Jason is crazy enough to let his signature anywhere near that logbook.

But if anyone could help and has the patience of Job... I’d vote Jason for sure.

But if anyone could help and has the patience of Job... I’d vote Jason for sure.

Remember that Job also said "enough is enough."

They both posted new videos flying out of Auburn this weekend. Jason’s was getting a check out to rent a 172 and talking about how the basics will always be important, as he is humbled by a simulated engine failure exercise. Jerry’s was flying right seat in someone’s 414, promising not to talk unless he saw an impending crash or FAR violation, and then proceeding to yammer nonstop to teach the pilot important lessons such as breaking the VSI in the event the pitot tube is blocked. (In fairness, maybe the resulting leak between the static system and cabin would depressurize the plane so the static system comes back to life, but that’s just me trying really hard to be charitable in the new year.)

They both posted new videos flying out of Auburn this weekend. Jason’s was getting a check out to rent a 172 and talking about how the basics will always be important, as he is humbled by a simulated engine failure exercise. Jerry’s was flying right seat in someone’s 414, promising not to talk unless he saw an impending crash or FAR violation, and then proceeding to yammer nonstop to teach the pilot important lessons such as breaking the VSI in the event the pitot tube is blocked. (In fairness, maybe the resulting leak between the static system and cabin would depressurize the plane so the static system comes back to life, but that’s just me trying really hard to be charitable in the new year.)

LOL! I hadn’t seen either one but that’s hilarious.

I may have to go check out the comments section on the pressurization/VSI thing. LOL.

First, I can't believe ATC somewhere hasn't jumped on this guy. He spends more time trying to be the funny/cute guy on the radio then he does using proper ATC phraseology and procedures. He uses so much unneeded wording that eats up air time, that it's embarrassing. He's a total motor mouth on the radio. Posting his videos, trying to garner ATC feedback with little quirks, his tight turns to final, etc etc, all feed his much needed ego. I've been an instructor for 45 plus years, and I can truthfully say he's one of the most dangerous pilots I've ever seen. Sad part is he doesn't recognize it and is not receptive to any suggestions. It's a very very sad and scary situation.
They gave him a WTF are you doing comment when he couldn't follow a simple departure procedure. He's just is lucky that most ATC just shrug and move on unless it causes some loss of separation or other serious problem.

LOL! I hadn’t seen either one but that’s hilarious.

I may have to go check out the comments section on the pressurization/VSI thing. LOL.

As threatened, it looks like Jerry turned off commenting for his new videos. Guess we hurt his feelings!

Latest video, Jerry is playing CFII, takes a newly certified instrument pilot, suggests a short flight in IMC to test him out, probably the toughest instrument flight to do because you have to do everything in a very small amount of time.... nice guy. The pilot is really green, in a fast plane, a little too green, but Jerry instead of helping right away, let's him screw up. Whatever confidence the guy had must be gone now, but honestly, the guy needs more training.

One of the first lessons I learned IFR is never accept an approach clearance you aren't fully ready to fly. Never yield to outside pressure to do something you aren't ready for. You can ask for delay vectors at any time during a flight, remember that, controllers don't care, and if you run into one that does, tough crap for him.

Last edited:
I especially like the part where the guy is above the glide slope, not really his fault, Jerry tells him to dive for it, which the guy does, then Jerry helps him out by pulling out the flaps because they "give you lift". Predictably the airplane instead of staying at a fast but reasonable speed, accelerates. I don't know this airplane, but I'm betting more flaps would have been better than no flaps.

Last edited:
This might make some people crazy, but I actually sweeten my sweet tea at some places (yes, here in Georgia) because it's not sweet enough for me. A true southern boy from GA that grew up on really sweet tea. lol.

Sweet tea in Atlanta. I've seen Humming Bird Feeder syrup that is less sweet. I think they make the tea here by saturating the tea with sugar when the tea is close to the boiling point to pack as much in as possible. I swear I've seen some sweet tea here start to crystalize out rock candy if you don't drink it fast enough.

I especially like the part where the guy is above the glide slope, not really his fault, Jerry tells him to dive for it, which the guy does, then Jerry helps him out by pulling out the flaps because they "give you lift". Predictable the airplane instead of staying at a fast but reasonable speed, accelerates. I don't know this airplane, but I'm betting more flaps would have been better than no flaps.
The question in my mind is whether he should have squawked 7500 at some point.

Ah yes. Jerry giving instruction as not only a crappy pilot, but a crappy private pilot. Good times. The best parts included the 45 degree bank in IMC to an unstabalized approach and when Jerry turns to the 320 guy in the back and explains how he's gonna trick him into getting overwhelmed and confused. It's like Jerry has never been to CFI school.... oh wait.

Ah yes. Jerry giving instruction as not only a crappy pilot, but a crappy private pilot. Good times. The best parts included the 45 degree bank in IMC to an unstabalized approach and when Jerry turns to the 320 guy in the back and explains how he's gonna trick him into getting overwhelmed and confused. It's like Jerry has never been to CFI school.... oh wait.
I realized later that the plane he’s “instructing” in happens to be his old 414. I really hope the guy didn’t think his insurance meant Jerry when they told him to fly with a mentor pilot for the first 50 hours.

crappy private pilot.
Jerry is a commercial pilot but he only has private privileges in multis.

I started to watch the flight to Napa, one of the "Jerry sets up a newly instrument rated pilot to get behind on a very short flight in actual in an airplane substantially faster that the one he trained in" videos. Too painful.

Sweet tea
I am going to add this to one of the rant threads... hatred sweet tea.

That video was hard to watch, but it is a good reminder of how you can get behind the airplane quickly especially on short hops. In this case, it looks like the poor guy in the left seat wasn't quite familiar with the avionics (somebody mentioned this was a new plane to him?). Maybe do the first few dual flights on longer hops to let the guy get familiar with the equipment so he can set things up in advance. Fumbling with radios/nav in IMC with little time maybe isn't the best way to start out learning.... after a few hours/flights doing this maybe it helps... but man I would be frustrated as heck after this flight if I were the pilot.

Last edited:
I am going to add this to one of the rant threads... hatred sweet tea.

That video was hard to watch, but it is a good reminder of how you can get behind the airplane quickly especially on short hops. In this case, it looks like the poor guy in the right seat wasn't quite familiar with the avionics (somebody mentioned this was a new plane to him?). Maybe do the first few dual flights on longer hops to let the guy get familiar with the equipment so he can set things up in advance. Fumbling with radios/nav in IMC with little time maybe isn't the best way to start out learning.... after a few hours/flights doing this maybe it helps... but man I would be frustrated as heck after this flight if I were the pilot.

Exactly. Had a student approach me 2 years ago, he was struggling with the radio, had a new to him 530W put in, was trying to start instrument training, couldn't find an -II, but I was recommended that I could help. Did we go find IMC, did we go immerse him in a busy radio environment? Absolutely not. For an couple hours we sat at my dining room table, and I played the role of ATIS and ATC, until the "uhs" and "umms" disappeared. Then a few days later when we went flying, we set up a flight plan and approaches on his 530W (I've been flying with a 430 for almost 17 years) and flew it VISUALLY. His radio work was clean, and figured out out the 530 works with IFR flying without trying to keep the oily side down trying to learn it. When he did find his CFII, he killed it, and blasted it out in a few weeks with no issue.

But it would have made for a **** YouTube video.

I thought the purpose of this flight was to show how easily you can get behind a fast airplane in IFR conditions and how to plan ahead. This airplane flys faster on approach than a lot of small GA planes fly at level cruise. Not all of us fly in Norcal country... busy airspace. If everything was rehearsed, the video would have been boring.

I am sure the pilot was nervous...I would have been :).

the poor guy in the right seat wasn't quite familiar with the avionics (somebody mentioned this was a new plane to him?)
The guy in the right seat is Jerry. He is very familiar with the avionics in the airplane he use to own.
The new pilot was in the left seat.

I thought the purpose of this flight was to show how easily you can get behind a fast airplane in IFR conditions and how to plan ahead. This airplane flys faster on approach than a lot of small GA planes fly at level cruise. Not all of us fly in Norcal country... busy airspace. If everything was rehearsed, the video would have been boring.

I am sure the pilot was nervous...I would have been :).

Every video Jerry does is a how easily can you get behind an airplane video.

Exactly. Had a student approach me 2 years ago, he was struggling with the radio, had a new to him 530W put in, was trying to start instrument training, couldn't find an -II, but I was recommended that I could help. Did we go find IMC, did we go immerse him in a busy radio environment? Absolutely not. For an couple hours we sat at my dining room table, and I played the role of ATIS and ATC, until the "uhs" and "umms" disappeared. Then a few days later when we went flying, we set up a flight plan and approaches on his 530W (I've been flying with a 430 for almost 17 years) and flew it VISUALLY. His radio work was clean, and figured out out the 530 works with IFR flying without trying to keep the oily side down trying to learn it. When he did find his CFII, he killed it, and blasted it out in a few weeks with no issue.

But it would have made for a **** YouTube video.

Are you willing to move to Atlanta and give lessons? :cool:

I wish more CFI's thought like you do.

Back