Darn 'rona!

eman1200

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Bro do you even lift
on the ATIS today*:

"notice to airmen - due to covid19 and staffing restrictions for social distancing some ATC services will be reduced or denied"

*was some time within the last 5 days

so where do I find out WHICH services are impacted?

Probably depends on how heavy the traffic is.

I was flying in central Florida last week, and someone called Jax Approach for VFR flight following, and they replied "unable VFR services due to staffing".

Wednesday they shut down Ft. Worth Center for a while due to a COVID related cleaning. Made me turn my late evening transcon connection at DFW to a red eye to JFK.

PEU5Ee1l.png

Was flying around IFR in central Florida today and heard many people being dropped or denied FF due to lack of resources to accommodate. And it was a very slow day.

If able I’d rather get a quieter ATC freq to establish FF, then it’s a bit more seamless through busier sectors. Easy to find a freq on the flight app.

JAX has been denying any type of VFR services since before Christmas.

Want to do some approaches and get vectors? NOPE
Want Flight following? NOPE
Want to file IFR while airborne? NOPE better call Flight Watch
Want to pick up an IFR clearance while airborne? Be prepared to wait.

Last edited:
I moved to the Hudson Valley three months ago. So far, I've been unable to get anything out of NY Approach other than "Standby" when VFR. I used to use FF for most flights; I don't even bother now until I get down to Allentown.

I moved to the Hudson Valley three months ago. So far, I've been unable to get anything out of NY Approach other than "Standby" when VFR. I used to use FF for most flights; I don't even bother now until I get down to Allentown.
AVP approach might get you some help before ABE, I don't know your routing though.

I don’t seem to have any problem picking up FF when I fly near POU. 132.75 for me. It’s busy sometimes, but they are rarely denying services especially these days with such light commercial traffic.

I did have NY APP try to get me shot down by some F16s (some hyperbole) when they dropped my FF (for no reason) less than a mile before a valid and planned entrance into a Pres TFR. Had to call up Providence APP (luckily had their freq already on standby) instantly and tell them what happened and get another code otherwise I would be busted. Don’t know exactly what I would have done had either Providence not gotten me the code fast enough, or if NY APP had dropped me after I was inside the TFR (literally 30 seconds later).

Back