New Decade????

cgrab

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
cgrab
I remember back as the year 2000 was approaching there was a big argument about when the new decade started. Some said a decade goes from 1 to 10 and others said from 0-9. I think the 0-9 crowd won out that time but now it seems there is a push to call 2021 the start of a new decade.

This is all part of the everyone hates 2020 movement. Do they think that by just calling it something different the virus will go away?

BTW, I've always been in the 1-10 crowd so I guess I'm just irked by the late to the party crowd.

There was no zero in the Roman numbering system when the current calendar was invented, thus no year zero. So either the first decade was only 9 years long, or decades start on the 1.

Of course, they didn't "invent" the Christian Era until what is now the sixth century. Fixing the epoch is a little confusing as no one is certain:
1. Whether the "incarnation" of Christ stated by Dionysius was the conception or the birth of Christ.
2. What was the actual beginning of the year Christ was born. It may have been January (civil year) or August (Diocletion) recognizing.

The Romans had their own numbering of years predating and coincident to this which started with the founding of the city of Rome.

No consensus obviously on how a "decade" is aligned. Colloquially in English, the preponderance is for 0..9 rather than 1..10

Us computer types start counting at zero.

I refuse to believe that the new decade started a year ago. It’s like we’re doomed for 9 more years or sumpin. Negative waves

...11 - Those who understand it but are analog circuit designers like me who will be glad when this damn digital fad is over.

take solace in the fact that everything really is analog...

unless you want to dive down into the quantum physics...

Actually there are 11.

01 - Those who don't understand binary.
10 - Those who do.
11 - Those who understand it but are analog circuit designers like me who will be glad when this damn digital fad is over.
What about those that do or do not understand Quantum Qbits? :eek:

There are two types of people in the world. Those who divide everyone into two groups, and those who don't.

There are two types of people in the world. Those who can extrapolate data,

Well....the starting epoch of unix. Oracle goes back a few thousand years...

Yes (valid answer only for today and tomorrow)

Help me out. Where did I go wrong? Here’s what I think I know. Counting up from zero it’s 00, 01, 10, 11. Decimal equivalent is 0, 1, 2, 3
11 = 3

I refuse to believe that the new decade started a year ago. It’s like we’re doomed for 9 more years or sumpin. Negative waves
Negative waves is writing off an entire year because of a virus.

It all began with the fact that we have ten fingers. What's the number of your first finger? Maybe if you were a Shop teacher for fifty years you could end up with zero fingers but other than that, nope, no finger 0.

A decade starts with an Our Father and consists of ten Hail Marys. Or does it have ten Hail Marys and end with the Lord's Prayer.

I like to think of what will be accomplished in the new decade. JFK's Rice University speech set forth a pretty cool goal that we realized; I'd like to think that Musk will put a man and/or woman on Mars and bring them safely back to earth before 2030 arrives.

I like to think of what will be accomplished in the new decade. JFK's Rice University speech set forth a pretty cool goal that we realized; I'd like to think that Musk will put a man and/or woman on Mars and bring them safely back to earth before 2030 arrives.
Maybe he'll go there himself :) He's already sent his car on ahead...
hjgw6gqxire01.png

"We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard."

Someone asked at a symposium (I think it was when Rutan was gloating over the X Prize success), as to what "the other things" are.

They were:
And they may well ask why climb the highest mountain?
Why, 35 years ago, fly the Atlantic?
Why does Rice play Texas?

Maybe he'll go there himself :) He's already sent his car on ahead...

"We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard."

Someone asked at a symposium (I think it was when Rutan was gloating over the X Prize success), as to what "the other things" are.

They were:
And they may well ask why climb the highest mountain?
Why, 35 years ago, fly the Atlantic?
Why does Rice play Texas?
Because when the Southwest Conference was destroyed, Texas A&M & Arkansas went to the SEC.

Back