Single GI-275 and G5 stack

Badly wanting an EIS upgrade and with many things to fix in the panel, I mentally tried every way to bring the GI 275 into my G5 world (other than just MFD). This is largely because I'm really satisfied with the G5 stack and didn't feel like going away from them. But in the end, when I added everything up, I decided to drop the big coin for a G3X Touch setup. With the G5(s), GMU 11, GTP 59, and GAD 29B already installed and ready to go, the G3X Touch is the logical upgrade for me.

I was hard set on getting the GI 275 EIS. The EIS system is the same for both GI 275 and G3X Touch (ie. GEA 24). The 10.6" screen adds $4K compared to the GI 275. Add the GSU-25D ADAHRS unit for a little under $2K and a new panel (I was getting a new one either way), and now 100% glass panel and everything is fully supported properly, unlike the G5-GI 275 mixmatch. I think this upgrade is same cost as or less expensive than replacing a G5 stack with a GI 275 stack + EIS. My left-over G5 unit goes into the right panel.

Very sound reasoning, and gets you a jealousy-inducing panel too! ;)

Also, not sure if the GI 275 would count towards the "Technically Advanced Aircraft" definition (61.129(j)) even though it's an amazing unit. The VSI is not primary in it. Although, I saw a pic of a GI 275 VSI as a seperate unit and it looks pretty cool.

Wait... Separate VSI? Or do you mean MFD in the VSI position? What was on it?

Perhaps the shop posted it a bit early, or could be for special installs only. I think one of Garmin's major objectives for the GI 275 is to promote the sales of their other products. I sometimes wonder if they are having some second thoughts about the G5 system, being an inexpensive dead-end for many upgrades.

Last edited:
Well that's certain weird. I see no sign of that on Garmin's website. There's also no price listed. And why is a climb in the redline while descents are green/white? And what's with the 6000FPM range?

That is a TCAS II display with a RA ongoing.

It is a cool system. The most modern versions will actually "talk" to another TCAS II equipped airplane to decide who goes up and who goes down.

That is a TCAS II display with a RA ongoing.
So, not really for light piston aircraft?
No, not really.
It is a cool system. The most modern versions will actually "talk" to another TCAS II equipped airplane to decide who goes up and who goes down.

Clearly we all need to upgrade to something in the Gulfstream lineup. ;)

Does anybody know if they make a taildragger? :p

...I think one of Garmin's major objectives for the GI 275 is to promote the sales of their other products. I sometimes wonder if they are having some second thoughts about the G5 system, being an inexpensive dead-end for many upgrades.

I don't see any evidence that was a specific objective. I'm about to sink the cost of two GI-275s into one of my airplanes. And I don't spend any money on that sort of thing without thoroughly researching it.

Garmin has always pursued a high degree of integration of their products. They get criticized for using that to gain competitive advantage, by not allowing outside vendors to "talk" to their systems. But they are the ones investing the R&D and nobody is forced to buy their products if they do not wish to.

I think the GI-275 is currently being underestimated by the critics. It's a brilliant piece of work. Far beyond what a G5 will ever be capable of doing. Let's remember the G5 started in the experimental/homebuilt world and was then adapted to certificated airplane applications - with all the compromises that inevitably entails.

The retrofit market for a truly capable device that doesn't require cutting up your instrument panel is huge by GA metrics. It's nice that those who need no more than what the G5 offers can choose those. And for those of us where the G5 is deficient (e.g. driving my legacy autopilot) we no longer need to be thinking about wholesale panel cutups to install a G500/600 PFD or similar.

The GI-275s that I install will work in a highly integrated fashion with my existing GNS-530W and my existing Century III autopilot. There is no need for me to buy any other expensive new Garmin products.

That is why I think the GI-275 is brilliant.

Last edited:
That is why I think the GI-275 is brilliant.

It is brilliant, instead of creating another interface box to adapt the G5 to remaining incompatible autopilots they created a whole different solution that costs twice as much :p to keep the legacy autopilot.

It’s a great gap filler for Class aircraft not approved for G5’s for sure, and priced accordingly of course.

Last edited:
It is brilliant, instead of creating another interface box to adapt the G5 to remaining incompatible autopilots they created a whole different solution that costs twice as much :p to keep the legacy autopilot.

It’s a great gap filler for Class aircraft not approved for G5’s for sure, and priced accordingly of course.

It's not a gap filler. It will outsell the limited capability G5.

It's not a gap filler. It will outsell the limited capability G5.

Seem like it is so me. The aircraft not eligible for G5’s were likely already approved for Txi right? Carryover from the straight G500/G600 lines? Those not wanting to spend Txi $ now can install GI275.

I would like to know if the GI 275 EIS powers, either directly or as secondary power, the GEA 24...

The GI275s are great but if you need two or more, seem to be priced at a tipping point for a full PFD and/or MFD solution... which Garmin also offers. It's all subjective of course, but bit of a hard nut to crack for two to three 3.25" round hole displays pricing out within striking distance of a full PFD/MFD, and it goes without saying one "big screen" is a dramatic step up. The line in the sand decision for owners seems to be whether or not they're up for panel surgery.

It's great we have all these options in the present day! 20 years ago I desperately wanted to install the Sandel EHSI and it just wasn't in the cards for me. Now we have much better units for half the price and with full auto-reversionary capability to boot. And that's just the starting point on the price/value proposition scale. It's a good time to be debating the pros and cons of these impressive offerings.

Back