Check ride

Majid. M

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Love to Fly
Has anybody done a CFI check ride with a gentleman from broken arrow in Oklahoma, name ABC?
Thanks.

I haven't, but my daughter did her PPL with him. Then as she got more ratings, she sent students to him. When she was instructing at Spartan, she did a formation flight with him.

They call him ABC because he's Russian and nobody knows how to pronounce, or spell his name. lol

I haven't, but my daughter did her PPL with him. Then as she got more ratings, she sent students to him. When she was instructing at Spartan, she did a formation flight with him.

They call him ABC because he's Russian and nobody knows how to pronounce, or spell his name. lol
Thanks for reply.
Could you please ask your douther if she knows anybody went to him for CFI checkride. Thanks again.

John Abczynski has been around the Tulsa area for a long time and has a very good reputation. Jennifer Wise also does CFI Checkrides in the Tulsa area and Nan Gaylord does a CFI checkride prep course and mock checkrides for instrument and commercial.

edited to correct the spelling of John’s last name: Abczynski

Last edited:
John Abcinski has been around the Tulsa area for a long time and has a very good reputation. Jennifer Wise also does CFI Checkrides in the Tulsa area and Nan Gaylord does a CFI checkride prep course and mock checkrides for instrument and commercial.

Oh yeah....I'd forgotten about Jennifer.

Thank you all for the info.
Now I need to find a person who has done his/her CFI check ride with ABC to get some info as what area of ground and flight he is most interested during the test.
Happy landings

Now I need to find a person who has done his/her CFI check ride with ABC to get some info as what area of ground and flight he is most interested during the test.
Happy landings

You should be prepared for anything. Are you going to be a CFI that only teaches your students on what the examiner normally does?

Happy landings

From my nephew who did his private pilot checkride with him a couple of years ago:

“During ground portion he wanted very short, to the point answers. He would stop me and move on to the next question. No digging or trying to trip me up. During the flight it was completely as expected per the ACS (it was PTS at the time).”

If you read the ACS carefully you should know exactly what to expect because Abc is going to do it by the book. So as long as you know the material and can teach the maneuvers you should be fine.

You should be prepared for anything. Are you going to be a CFI that only teaches your students on what the examiner normally does?

Thanks Tommy for replying to my post, but unfortunately you completely missed my point. Of course anybody that goes for a check ride must be prepare for anything, which I am.
Taking few check rides from different DEP around US I know they are different in terms of personality and style. they are all come from different type of life, some are retired Air forces pilots, some of them are engineer, they have different background. some like talk about more less about engine, system, some like talk about regulations, weather Air space etc. some of them go straight to the point and don't want any extra and some of them like to talk and wants you to elaborate on your answers. One thing for sure they have to follow ACS and complies 100% with FAA requirements. My intention from my post was to know what type of person I will face when i go for check ride. I have been studying hard and don't take anything for granted. I'm ready, but I'm sure he will ask me a questions that I don't know the answer. Nobody knows everything. As old saying, a good pilot always learn.
Finally to answer your question, I WILL NOT be a CFI that only teaches my students on what the examiner normally does. I WILL teach my future students everything according to the standards and make sure they are safe pilots.
Happy landings.

Abczynski did my PPL ride and I found him to be pleasant and respectful, yet mostly direct and to the point. I was very comfortable with him. As pointed out above, he didn't try and trip me up and mainly wanted to ensure I could meet/exceed standards. As far as the oral portion, he again was rather short and sweet - I wasn't with him for some nightmarish 2-hour session. His main concern was good ADM and me knowing where to look for the info if I wasn't sure-fire positive about. I couldn't comment on his CFI rides, though.

Thanks Tommy for replying to my post, but unfortunately you completely missed my point. Of course anybody that goes for a check ride must be prepare for anything, which I am.
Taking few check rides from different DEP around US I know they are different in terms of personality and style. they are all come from different type of life, some are retired Air forces pilots, some of them are engineer, they have different background. some like talk about more less about engine, system, some like talk about regulations, weather Air space etc. some of them go straight to the point and don't want any extra and some of them like to talk and wants you to elaborate on your answers. One thing for sure they have to follow ACS and complies 100% with FAA requirements. My intention from my post was to know what type of person I will face when i go for check ride. I have been studying hard and don't take anything for granted. I'm ready, but I'm sure he will ask me a questions that I don't know the answer. Nobody knows everything. As old saying, a good pilot always learn.
Finally to answer your question, I WILL NOT be a CFI that only teaches my students on what the examiner normally does. I WILL teach my future students everything according to the standards and make sure they are safe pilots.
Happy landings.

Good answer. You have the right mindset. I see too many new CFI looking to know what the DPE will do any only focus on that, and they teach that same garbage mentality to their students. I always tell my potential students, I don't teach you to pass your checkride, I teach you to be a pilot. And that includes going way outside of the ACS.

Here is some background on Janusz "John" Abczynski article from 1989 - he’s really an amazing person. https://tulsaworld.com/archive/flig...cle_e7a0be35-7372-573b-b3b1-06ed063384d3.html

ABC ran Spartan while I was there ‘96-98. He taught a few days of our advanced aerodynamics class that i still reference, and did all of our final 3 stage checks to graduate from the commercial pilot program. He is very knowledgeable and very fair. Direct, yes, but a class act through and through. Old school when I knew him- be a pilot. Be in control and know what you need to know.

That said Jennifer Wise is one of the best instructors and DE’s I’ve ever met. She’s been a Captain at SWA since i started flying, high up in the training department, gave me both my PPL and COMMERCIAL MULTI check rides. My first and last check rides at Spartan.

Either way, you are in great hands in Tulsa. You should be confident in either.

Last edited:
From my nephew who did his private pilot checkride with him a couple of years ago:

“During ground portion he wanted very short, to the point answers. He would stop me and move on to the next question. No digging or trying to trip me up. During the flight it was completely as expected per the ACS (it was PTS at the time).”

If you read the ACS carefully you should know exactly what to expect because Abc is going to do it by the book. So as long as you know the material and can teach the maneuvers you should be fine.

Thanks for the info Dbarbee.
By the way is the picture in your profile C-177 Cardinal? I have flown with all of Cessna single engine from 150 through 210 except 177.
Maybe I should drive to your airport and do couple T&G with it. it's a nice airplane.
thanks again for the info.
take care and be safe.

Here is some background on Janusz "John" Abczynski article from 1989 - he’s really an amazing person. https://tulsaworld.com/archive/flig...cle_e7a0be35-7372-573b-b3b1-06ed063384d3.html

ABC ran Spartan while I was there ‘96-98. He taught a few days of our advanced aerodynamics class that i still reference, and did all of our final 3 stage checks to graduate from the commercial pilot program. He is very knowledgeable and very fair. Direct, yes, but a class act through and through. Old school when I knew him- be a pilot. Be in control and know what you need to know.

That said Jennifer Wise is one of the best instructors and DE’s I’ve ever met. She’s been a Captain at SWA since i started flying, high up in the training department, gave me both my PPL and COMMERCIAL MULTI check rides. My first and last check rides at Spartan.

Either way, you are in great hands in Tulsa. You should be confident in either.

thanks Scott. too bad we don't have any DEP in Oklahoma city area. they all are in Tulsa.
take care.

Good answer. You have the right mindset. I see too many new CFI looking to know what the DPE will do any only focus on that, and they teach that same garbage mentality to their students. I always tell my potential students, I don't teach you to pass your checkride, I teach you to be a pilot. And that includes going way outside of the ACS.

I like what you say to your student " I don't teach you to pass your checkride, I teach you to be a pilot"

take care.

Thanks for the info Dbarbee.
By the way is the picture in your profile C-177 Cardinal? I have flown with all of Cessna single engine from 150 through 210 except 177.
Maybe I should drive to your airport and do couple T&G with it. it's a nice airplane.
thanks again for the info.
take care and be safe.

Yes, it's a 1976 177B. Send me a PM next time you're going to be in the Tulsa area and I'll be glad to take you up in it. I'm based at KRVS where most of the Tulsa area DPE's are based.

Taking few check rides from different DEP around US I know they are different in terms of personality and style. they are all come from different type of life, some are retired Air forces pilots, some of them are engineer, they have different background. some like talk about more less about engine, system, some like talk about regulations, weather Air space etc. some of them go straight to the point and don't want any extra and some of them like to talk and wants you to elaborate on your answers.

I agree that DPEs can have the specific things they like to focus on. Somewhat more troubling is that some of them have their particular approximate version of aerodynamics they like to teach and think other explanations, which are also reasonable approximations are wrong. And let’s face it, short of actually using equations to explain the pressure distribution around a wing, most of the explanations used in teaching this are rough approximations.

For the OP, I will mention another item having recently done the CFI SEL add-on.

The modern trend with this exam seems to be to ask you to teach a set of tasks from the CFI PTS. They want you to give a lesson on that, being sure to cover each item listed in that task.

So it is not a lesson like you would give a private or commercial student. More like a lesson you might give a CFI candidate on how to pass the CFI checkride.

Be sure to explicitly cover each point listed in the PTS for the task. After understanding the material, purchasing a set of the CFI lesson plans can help ensure every item is in there.

For the OP, I will mention another item having recently done the CFI SEL add-on.

The modern trend with this exam seems to be to ask you to teach a set of tasks from the CFI PTS. They want you to give a lesson on that, being sure to cover each item listed in that task.

So it is not a lesson like you would give a private or commercial student. More like a lesson you might give a CFI candidate on how to pass the CFI checkride.

Be sure to explicitly cover each point listed in the PTS for the task. After understanding the material, purchasing a set of the CFI lesson plans can help ensure every item is in there.

Thanks Peter. Agree with you on converging each point listed in the PTS for the task. that's why I think CFI check ride, the ground portion is longer than flying portion.
Happy new year..

Yes, it's a 1976 177B. Send me a PM next time you're going to be in the Tulsa area and I'll be glad to take you up in it. I'm based at KRVS where most of the Tulsa area DPE's are based.

Thanks for your offer. definitely I'll get in touch with you, next time I'm in Tulsa.
Happy new year.

Back