How necessary is iPad GPS for ForeFlight?

I purchased an iPad Mini 5 64GB on Black Friday, but it is Wi-Fi only. I did not realize that the cellular model is the only with built-in GPS.

Currently my wife and I are just renting to see how GA fits in our lifestyle (previously committed to purchasing, but then 2 kids changed things a little). We plan to spend the next year renting and seeing how often we truly fly. I got this iPad with the plan of using it mainly for ForeFlight. I do not currently have a Stratus, but all of the aircraft I will be renting have either a moving map GPS or ADS-B in (most are still predominantly steam gauge, though)

I see myself getting a puck down the road IOT have weather capability as well as ADS-B in/out, but that likely won't happen until if we decide to purchase our own plane.

So beyond breadcrumbs and having your aircraft shown on the approach plate, how much use is the GPS antenna on the iPad? And if I'm already flying an aircraft with a moving map GPS, is it necessary?

I bought the same ipad mini on black friday as well. I used it once while connectes to my stratus in my plane and it kept dropping the signal and location. I immediately sent it back and ordered a refurbished with cellular for the same price.

You don't actually need to purchase a cellular data plan for the GPS in the Cellular iPad to work.

Yeah, it works without having a cellular plan. I've never subscribed to cellular.

I understand why people buy iPads—aviation apps favour them—but I find it bizarre that the so-called premium iPad tablet has GPS only as $$$ extra, when even the cheapest <$50 Android tablets targeting developing countries include GPS by default.

I used a Samsung tablet with either the Fltplan or Garmin Pilot apps for a while. I only switched to an iPad and Foreflight once I dipped my toe into Part 135 flying because the company operating limitations only allowed that combination. I went with a non-GPS Mini 4 which I still have and use. As I mentioned before, I rarely use the iPad actually in flight except for approach plates. The planes I normally travel in are well equipped with Garmin products in the panel, so there isn't much I can't do without the iPad.

The one and only time I kind of wished for a GPS capable iPad was doing some UTV trail riding. We were using the Avenza Maps app for navigation. I brought the iPad to have a larger screen, but we ended up using our Android phones instead because of GPS. Even with the app and GPS, we still managed to get temporarily lost a couple of times by taking a wrong turn or following the wrong trail.

Gotcha. I just never had a need for the gps version using a connected gps device

Gotcha. I just never had a need for the gps version using a connected gps device
In 2019, I had a complete avionics stack failure in IMC (it turned out to be a failed avionics master switch). In flight, my portable devices usually take their WAAS GPS info from my GTN 650 via the Bluetooth in my GTX 345 transponder, but it was nice that they both immediately fell back on their internal GPSs — one less hassle at a busy time.

So yes, if you're determined on iOS, pay the extra $150 ransom to Apple to unlock GPS support. In an emergency (even a very minor one like mine) you want everything to be as simple as possible.

As others have said, definitely save the $150, get a cheap external GPS.

An equally valid opinion :)
Jack, have you used an iPad with GPS and cellular on dozens of flights across the country(as well as watch others struggle to get cheap external GPS add ons to work?) If so, I say you're correct, your opinion is equally valid.

Jack, have you used an iPad with GPS and cellular on dozens of flights across the country(as well as watch others struggle to get cheap external GPS add ons to work?) If so, I say you're correct, your opinion is equally valid.
No, not an iPad. However, I've ForeFlight on my iPhone which does have a GPS chip, too. I use it as a back-up to the iPad. Sometimes, a C-172 wing blocks the phone signal, but no issues with the Bad Elf. The iPad works well enough on passenger jets, too, except the 787 (nothing works there when the crew dims the windows).

No, not an iPad. However, I've ForeFlight on my iPhone which does have a GPS chip, too. I use it as a back-up to the iPad. Sometimes, a C-172 wing blocks the phone signal, but no issues with the Bad Elf. The iPad works well enough on passenger jets, too, except the 787 (nothing works there when the crew dims the windows).
Right, I wasn't thinking about high-wing planes and GPS reception. If the wings on my Piper PA-28 ever block the GPS signal, that will be the least of my worries at the time. :-|

I'm sure there's a way to cobble up a GPS connection on a non-cellular iPad, but for $130 extra for that feature...it seemed like a reasonable choice.

I think the answer to the original question has to do with what’s in the panel of the airplane you’re using it in.

I have an android tablet. wifi only. GPS works fine. Charts are free. and flight planning software cost one time $5.

I would recommend getting the iPad with the built in GPS for the extra $130. No wires or need to have an extra GPS device. GPS version comes with a free cellular capability if you have a use for it.

I would recommend getting the iPad with the built in GPS for the extra $130. No wires or need to have an extra GPS device. GPS version comes with a free cellular capability if you have a use for it.
You can make phone calls with the iPad through your iPhone over FaceTime, but to use it for data requires that it have a cellular plan. The cellular capability is as useful as the GPS. You can't make phone calls from it as a primary device like you can with the Apple Watch, but you can add the iPad to your cellular data plan for like $10/month and use it for text or data (updating weather, filing, Forflight, etc).

I'm sure there are. But not enough for me to pay an annual fee for using it, when what I have works just fine for me. And apparently Foreflight doesn't work with android.

I think pilots should always have a backup GPS, especially flying IFR. If you’ve ever lost a panel or an alternator, it would be a no-brainer. My iPad Mini has GPS, as does my iPhone. I also power up my Stratus 2 for IFR. Backups for my backups. The Dual GPS puck mentioned above is a good compromise, $89 is a bargain for the extra margin of safety it provides.

The new AFS/Dynon EFIS that I’m installing can set up a WiFi network in the plane and I can log on with my iPhone or iPad. It will then let me upload a ForeFlight flight plan I built on any of those devices or make changes mid-flight. With the cellular capability, I can do that with latest METAR info and even upload a new VFR (or IFR I suppose) approach.Then send it to the autopilot. Theoretically. I haven’t done that yet, but if it works as advertised, it will be a useful feature.

I have two iPads when I fly, a yoke mounted iPad mini non cellular and an iPad Pro panel mounted with cellular. I've never noticed a difference BUT they both connect via wifi to my IFD440 for there GPS source. So in my case i didn't see the need to have the iPad mini cellular. I also always have my phone along. It is nice to have cellular data on the iPad also for filing flight plans while in the hanger.

I have two iPads when I fly, a yoke mounted iPad mini non cellular and an iPad Pro panel mounted with cellular. I've never noticed a difference BUT they both connect via wifi to my IFD440 for there GPS source. So in my case i didn't see the need to have the iPad mini cellular. I also always have my phone along. It is nice to have cellular data on the iPad also for filing flight plans while in the hanger.

I also fly with two iPads, my bigger non-cellular iPad connected via BT to Garmin GTX-345R, cellular iPad Mini has own GPS and connected via Wifi to Stratus 2. And my iPhone just in case...

I'm sure there are. But not enough for me to pay an annual fee for using it, when what I have works just fine for me. And apparently Foreflight doesn't work with android.

Personal preference. No right or wrong answer. I have Foreflight as it’s convenient having the charts and approaches there plus ability to see traffic.

I think pilots should always have a backup GPS, especially flying IFR. If you’ve ever lost a panel or an alternator, it would be a no-brainer. My iPad Mini has GPS, as does my iPhone. I also power up my Stratus 2 for IFR. Backups for my backups. The Dual GPS puck mentioned above is a good compromise, $89 is a bargain for the extra margin of safety it provides.

Can you share a link for a backup GPS / Dual GPS Puck.

BTW, Foreflight allows you two iPads and an iPhone running the app simultaneously.

I believe that Foreflight only allows 3 accounts logged in simultaneously. And that you’d have to log out of one account before you can log in another.

Not like Netflix where you could be logged in 20 devices (TVs, phones, computers, iPads, rokus, etc) but a simultaneous limit of 5 at any given time.

I believe that Foreflight allows you to be logged in to all three devices plus Foreflight Web at the same time.

I have a 430W, a Dynon SV-GPS-200 on my AFS5400, and a GPS puck on my backup G5. Plus my iPhone and my cellular/GPS iPad Pro. I have ZERO excuses for getting lost.

The Dynon GPS is far more accurate than the 430WAAS and updates faster, but it's not certified for IFR so I need to at least have the 430W on board.

What’s the name of the software?
Orux maps, (free), planning software is Qrouting, one time $5 purchase. Charts, AFD, Approach plates, etc. come from chartbundle, also free.

Personal preference. No right or wrong answer. I have Foreflight as it’s convenient having the charts and approaches there plus ability to see traffic.

Also, how much really is the Foreflight subscription compared to one hour of flight?

I currently have an iPad mini with cellular/gps and FF. WIth my eyesight getting worse I'm thinking about going with a Pro 10.5. All of the planes I fly have some type of external GPS device I attach to. Maybe someone mentioned it earlier and I missed it. Do you get georeferencing on FF with an external GPS?

Yes, I run an iPad Air wo gps. The Stratus provides gps as well as ADSB In.
Which is great until your Stratus battery dies.

Can you share a link for a backup GPS / Dual GPS Puck.
He's talking about a Dual XGPS 150A which is in the shape of a small puck. Just search the term and you'll get a bunch of hits, including used ones on eBay. It was originally my primary and is still my backup ipad gps for at least 7-8 years.

I currently have an iPad mini with cellular/gps and FF. WIth my eyesight getting worse I'm thinking about going with a Pro 10.5. All of the planes I fly have some type of external GPS device I attach to. Maybe someone mentioned it earlier and I missed it. Do you get georeferencing on FF with an external GPS?
Yes. Your position on maps and charts is the whole idea of GPS. Of course, when talking about approach charts and taxi diagrams, you have to have the right subscription level of the EFB you use.

If you can afford it, get the ipad with cellular..the gps will automatically connect in case you lose your position info from Stratus, etc.

One thing to think about is that even with the cellular version, all it gets is the GPS chip. You won't get ADSB in. A Stratux or similar can give GPS, ADSB and even a rudimentary AHRS. I use the wifi only Ipad with my Garmin panel (FS210 and have a Stratux back up that stays plugged in all the time)

Right but with the cellular version you can also download updates, file flight plans, look up flight information if you need it, etc. from the plane and not have to worry about wifi. Having used both, it was worth the small extra price/fees for me to get the cell version.

One thing to think about is that even with the cellular version, all it gets is the GPS chip. You won't get ADSB in. A Stratux or similar can give GPS, ADSB and even a rudimentary AHRS. I use the wifi only Ipad with my Garmin panel (FS210 and have a Stratux back up that stays plugged in all the time)
I think the point was to have built-in GPS in an iPad as a backup to the Stratux, not instead of the Stratux. Even though I get a WaaS GPS position from my GTN 650, I really appreciate the built-in GPS in all my Android devices.

I have the Non-cellular ipad mini and a Stratus 2. On the rare occasion that I need to download something and don't have WIFI available , I use my phone as a hot spot. Another advantage to the Stratus 2 is the ability to use AHRS if it's needed. I may be wrong but I don't think that is available on a stand alone IPAD with just cellular.
The back up AHRS is important to me with my old vacuum gauges

Back