Where is the Missed Approach Point?

1. In either case, the MAP, thought of as the place where the missed approach procedure begins - is at the same place. 4.6 nm from the FAF
It's 4.1:

https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/fli...ditions/16Jul2020/cug-tpp-edition.pdf#page=27

MAP.png

Also from TERPs:

"2-8-3. MAP. The MAP specified in the procedure may be the point of intersection of a specific glidepath with a DA, a navigation facility, a fix, or a specified distance from the PFAF. A specified distance may not be more than the distance from the PFAF to the usable landing surface. The MAP must not be located prior to a VDP. Specific criteria for the MAP are contained in the appropriate chapters."
https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Order/Order_8260.3E.pdf#page=100

Last edited:
The discussion seems to be devolving into some esoteric minutiae. I get three practical operational things from the chart and one from the test question.

1. In either case, the MAP, thought of as the place where the missed approach procedure begins - is at the same place. 4.6 nm from the FAF
The DA is not at 4.6 miles from the FAF.

The DA is not at 4.6 miles from the FAF.
I did not say the DA was 4.6 miles from the FAF. I said,
  1. In either case, the MAP, thought of as the place where the missed approach procedure begins - is at the same place. 4.6 nm from the FAF.
I was very specifically being non-technical. Which is why I also included how our GPS navigators handle the issue exactly that way.

I did not say the DA was 4.6 miles from the FAF. I said,
  1. In either case, the MAP, thought of as the place where the missed approach procedure begins - is at the same place. 4.6 nm from the FAF.
I was very specifically being non-technical. Which is why I also included how our GPS navigators handle the issue exactly that way.
To further pick at nits: The RNAV navigators are incorrect as to the MAP for ILS. That's the way the folks at ARINC chose to handle it.

Look at KTEB ILS or LOC Rwy 19. The Garmin and Jepp databases set the MAP at the threshold, but the chart shows a different location.

To further pick at nits: The RNAV navigators are incorrect as to the MAP for ILS. That's the way the folks at ARINC chose to handle it.
Probably just looking for operational consistency and not wanting to create a bunch of CNFs for next to no reason.

Didn’t occur to me that the graphic depiction could contradict / not be aligned to the text. Good clarification. Many thanks
The graphical depiction in the profile view cannot be accurate for all scenarios. Straight-in ILS? Your MAP is when you reach DA. LOC-only? MAP might be a waypoint in the GPS (such as the runway), identified by DME, or based on time. It would require multiple different drawings to accurately cover them all.

- Martin

Back