Just passed IFR written

WDD

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Vintage Snazzy (so my adult children say)
Well that was entertaining. I am exhausted. Did well, with margin to spare. For me, it was a bit harder than the PPL written.

Used Kings and Gold Seal.
Not one question on the test was in the test prep courses. Which I suppose is a good thing to get rid of passing by memorizing questions. A few looked familiar but were actually asking something different and/ or the assumptions were changed to give you a different answer.

A few questions were on material not covered at all.

Glad it’s done. Now I can start the actual training with the CFII.

Last edited:
Congrats! I passed the IFR written about 3 months ago. I used Sporty's. I must have taken ~40 practice tests and reached a point where I couldn't bring myself to take another I was so sick of them. This attitude, unfortunately, carried into the test itself. In school I would always take as much time as a test allotted reviewing and re-reviewing uncertain answers. With the IFR written, I submitted my answers after one pass with a lot of time left -- very unlike the much younger me.

I too was surprised how many test questions I had never seen before as well as those tweaked thereby demanding a different answer. Best of luck with your flight training!

I found kings questions outdated. ASA prepware was pretty good. But again new questions and different wordings. Happy to have finished that exam. I counted the number of unsure questions, found I was over 70% and said I’m done. I think I got 83% on that one. Lower than my PPL exam.

Congratulations. It’s a fun rating

I haven’t tried gold seal, but I like what I read. The king material just feels old, but I used king tapes for my IFR (remember those?) and liked John’s corny jokes.

Congratulations, WDD! On to the next step!

Just started the instrument process. I will indeed be looking for the material to get through the written. Enjoying the process so far.

I know it may sound like a broken record........ Shepard Air. There wasn't a single question I had not seen before. I knew the correct answer I was looking for before I even reviewed the options.

Congratulations. That's always a tough one!
Now comes the fun part of getting an IR. :)

Back