Flight stream 210 and ADSB to Garmin Pilot

NealRomeoGolf

En-Route
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
NRG
My recent avionics upgrades included putting a Garmin 345 and Flight Stream 210 in. I got my iPad hooked up to the FS210 just fine. Flight plan transfer works great. But no adsb data is coming to Garmin Pilot. Adsb shows up on my 530W just fine so the 345 is getting it. Just seems the FS210 isn't passing the data along. The adsb tab in Connext is showing no incoming data.

Any ideas? User manual wasn't any help.

Or should I be connecting the iPad to the 345 too and get Adsb that way? Seems backwards to have to do that.

I believe 210 should relay the ADSB data to GP. Both shouldn’t be enabled (at least with FS 510 and GTX 345) per the STC

connect to the 345. then make sure you have traffic selected as an overlay in GP. then after seeing how much traffic there is around you, turn off traffic in GP.

FS gets its data via RS232 channels connected to your 530, there will be 2, 1 in , 1 out, the in is working because your flight plan transfers ok, the out will be where ADSB data comes from. It’s probably not configured correctly.

The FS210 install manual says to disable bluetooth on 345. The installer should have hooked up the 345 to the GPS and the FS210.

The FS210 install manual says to disable bluetooth on 345. The installer should have hooked up the 345 to the GPS and the FS210.
That would be pretty disappointing if they didn't hook the 345 into the FS210. I have my squawk list into the shop. We'll see what they say.

That would be pretty disappointing if they didn't hook the 345 into the FS210. I have my squawk list into the shop. We'll see what they say.
They could have, and should have, homed everything to the 530W. My set-up is similar to yours except I have a 430W. Works like a champ.

I did have the the FS210 mounted on the center line of the empennage just behind the aft cargo barrier. Av shop was pulling new wire to connect the 406mhz ELT to the GPS and did not cost any extra other than a few feet of wire.

Wait until to start using the iPad to see traffic/weather/and synthetic vision along with 1 button uploads of flight plans to the 530W. You will see years of extra life from the 530.

The software version of both the FS210 and GTX 345 must be at an appropriate version. I have seen at least a dozen installations that were not. Also the FS210 needs to be wired to the GTX 345 RS422 port. There are other details. This is easily tested at a shop that knows what they are doing.

I had this same issue when my 210 was installed. The tech used an older install manual, and didn't put a wire in between the 345 and the 210. I bet your guy did the same thing.

I had this same issue when my 210 was installed. The tech used an older install manual, and didn't put a wire in between the 345 and the 210. I bet your guy did the same thing.

If they used the wrong install manual it’s also worth checking if they printed the correct AFM section. The instructions won’t match the firmware.

Shop looked at it again. Changed a few things. Took it home.....still doesn't work. :mad::mad::mad:

Are you sure you have the Bluetooth connected to the 345 turned on?

Shop looked at it again. Changed a few things. Took it home.....still doesn't work. :mad::mad::mad:

I have a GTN650, GTX345 and FS210. The bluetooth should be turned off from the GTX345 and it should be sending the data to the FS210. If the shop is a Garmin certified shop, they should call Garmin tech support to figure out the issue. If the connection is working, you should also be able to see ADSB weather (or a message saying no towers in range) on your Ipad before you leave the shop.

If you have flight plan transfer working then you are connected. There may a setting you are missing in Pilot. Try buddies Foreflight.

Your set-up will actually give you an AHRS to the Pilot AI. Nice backup.

Might be software version. Aux page on the 530 says the FS210 is 2.3. I saw somewhere on BT that it needs to be 2.9 or something?

Looks like version 2.4 is what allowed the GTX345 to send weather and traffic. Sigh.

So you need a firm wear update? Why can’t the avionics shop not test the traffic to I pad function and make sure it’s working before they give it back?

So you need a firm wear update? Why can’t the avionics shop not test the traffic to I pad function and make sure it’s working before they give it back?
Incompetence?

The avionics guy said that his GP was acting wonky so they couldn't fully test it but they knew the GTX345 was pushing data. Well yeah, it was pushing but the FS210 couldn't process it because the software version doesn't know what to do with it.

Why isn't it in their checkout checklist to make sure all software is up to date before handover? Can't answer that.

How is your 530 getting traffic data? Was it showing traffic before the flight stream install?

If it was and still is it’s possible it is still using the old direct connection to the 345. Which means they never made the new hard wire connection from the 345 to the flight stream.

How is your 530 getting traffic data? Was it showing traffic before the flight stream install?

If it was and still is it’s possible it is still using the old direct connection to the 345. Which means they never made the new hard wire connection from the 345 to the flight stream.

The 345 is new as is the FS210. I used to have a 330es transponder.

Ah. You’re way ahead of me. Sounds like firmware update needed for both 345 and the flight stream.

Ah. You’re way ahead of me. Sounds like firmware update needed for both 345 and the flight stream.
The GTX 345 attaches to both the GPS and the FS210 using separate interfaces, so it is quite common for the GPS to work just fine, but BT via the FS210 not so much. Garmin does not have a good install check list for the non TSO functions such as BT. The FS210 has to be at at least 2.4 or later software version, I have 2.90 installed in my FS 210. The GNS should be at version 5.40 which is the latest. The GTX 345 should be at 2.54 Main/3.13 ADS-B

Ok, dumb question. How do you check the software version on a GTX 345?

You can view the software via BT device on ForeFlight, by connecting the BT and on ForeFlight, tap More>Devices>Garmin Connext> This will display the device status detail and one of the parameters will be the GTX 345 software version.

Back