So now that there is a vaccine...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morgan3820

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
El Conquistador
When do I get to stop having to wear a mask when going to the supermarket? I have not heard of any criteria as to when we can declare an ‘all clear’

I am kinda serious. We apparently have several epidemiologists on staff here at POA.

I imagine it would be years before the government would actually give the all clear. It’s up to you to decide when you want to wear the mask or not.

When do I get to stop having to wear a mask when going to the supermarket? I have not heard of any criteria as to when we can declare an ‘all clear’

I'd say that once everyone who wants a vaccination has one, it'll be time to move on. IMO, logistics will be the biggest challenge. 500,000,000 injections is a big number to manage. If the logistics are done well, it'll be this summer. If not, who knows.

I am kinda serious. We apparently have several epidemiologists on staff here at POA.
My answer was serious. We don't know yet how fast the various vaccines will be distributed, how many people will choose to get the vaccine, and probably other information I'm missing.

My answer was serious. We don't know yet how fast the various vaccines will be distributed, how many people will choose to get the vaccine, and probably other information I'm missing.
I get that. But what are the numbered criteria? Or are we wandering around for a feel good consensus that makes everyone happy?

Once enough people are vaccinated that the introduction of infection into a community doesn't cause a new chain of new infections. We dont know yet when that point will be reached.

I'd say that once everyone who wants a vaccination has one, it'll be time to move on. IMO, logistics will be the biggest challenge. 500,000,000 injections is a big number to manage. If the logistics are done well, it'll be this summer. If not, who knows.

331,000,000 ? not that that's any easier, just saying....

There is no end game in sight. There will be no All Clear until the powers that be say there will be. And there is no indication that they will say so any time soon, if ever.

As long as Governors and Mayors are able to make their own decisions, we will have a chance of dropping a lot of restrictions. The ones that won’t make their own decisions because they defer to someone at the Federal level to tell them when it’s “safe” are the ones with no end in sight. It’s way too easy for a lot of them to follow the leader and avoid blame if any numbers move in the wrong direction. For others, they may put some target out there. I’m waiting for our Gov to say something about it, but I’m not holding my breath.

I get that. But what are the numbered criteria? Or are we wandering around for a feel good consensus that makes everyone happy?

Obviously there is no hard number, especially this early on. But it’s not about YOU or any other one person who has been vaccinated. Yeah, YOU now have immunity. How does that work. The vaccine teaches your immune system how to fight the virus. You get the virus, your immune rings the alarm, the antiphagewhitecellsthingies or whatever they are spring into action and start attacking. They win the war. But it takes awhile. During the time the battle is raging on, you can be infectious. While masks give you some protection against getting infected, which YOU no longer have to worry about, their main purpose is to stop YOU from spreading it. Wouldn’t it be nice if it started spreading a little slower than it has been? Get back to some semblance of normal a little sooner rather than a little later.

Obviously there is no hard number, especially this early on. But it’s not about YOU or any other one person who has been vaccinated. Yeah, YOU now have immunity. How does that work. The vaccine teaches your immune system how to fight the virus. You get the virus, your immune rings the alarm, the antiphagewhitecellsthingies or whatever they are spring into action and start attacking. They win the war. But it takes awhile. During the time the battle is raging on, you can be infectious. While masks give you some protection against getting infected, which YOU no longer have to worry about, their main purpose is to stop YOU from spreading it. Wouldn’t it be nice if it started spreading a little slower than it has been? Get back to some semblance of normal a little sooner rather than a little later.
So, forever or a close approximation.

I'm SOOO tired of the presumption that my belief in the civil liberties of all, is actually disrespectful of the fearful.

I’ll take the liberty of continuing your last sentence with ...fearful of getting infected and maybe dying. I’ll point you to my post #16. With that, I’m outta here

I'm only a doctor by Jill Biden standards, but in order to spread the virus, doesn't it have to be reproducing in quantity in your body? And doesn't the vaccine prevent that?

The vaccine has just come into fruition, so it’s not going to make a noticeable difference in the case count for a few months. It also doesn’t provide full protection the same day that you get inoculated and actually takes up to 14 days after the second dose to provide full efficacy. Quite honestly, my biggest concern is the distribution of these vaccines, which is moving quite a bit slower than expected.

I’ll take the liberty of continuing your last sentence with ...fearful of getting infected and maybe dying. I’ll point you to my post #16. With that, I’m outta here
I'm fearful (to a degree) from dying from a number of things. It's still wrong to ignore civil liberties.

I'm fearful (to a degree) from dying from a number of things. It's still wrong to ignore civil liberties.
The first civil liberty is "life", ahead of liberty and the pursuit of happiness. You liberties end where other peoples lives begin.
Please leave the politics out of the thread.

No one is willing to go out on a limb and present the criteria.

I can imagine what problems will exist come August (i.e., several weeks after almost everyone has been vaccinated) if we are still expected to follow the protocol of distance, masks, hygiene.

You're asking a good question. There's a range of numbers that have been thrown around in other threads for "herd immunity", which is essentially what we are trying to achieve, and that will be fairly close to the threshold number you are asking about. There's still questions about whether the vaccine prevents one from being a carrier of the virus and how long the immunity conferred by the vaccine will last which complicates the estimate. Hypothetically, if one is a potential carrier, they need to stay masked even though they can't get ill, to reduce the spread to others. If there is short term immunity, people may need more than one set of shots to stay ahead of the virus until enough of us are protected to stop the spread. I'm no epidemiologist, so these are only my thoughts on the subject.

The first civil liberty is "life", ahead of liberty and the pursuit of happiness. You liberties end where other peoples lives begin.
Please leave the politics out of the thread.
That's not politics, and that's not how the founders viewed it, as evidenced by other portions of the Bill of Rights.

Thread closed.

Policy decisions behind mask rules are politically driven by nature and thus, it’s increasingly difficult to have a discussion about this subject without turning into politics, as we have already witnessed here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back