Just trying to get home..

Officially on the boat to Juneau and under way... thought I would post before loosing signal.
Great news!
Met POA member yesterday and had a chance to chat with him and his wife. Very nice folks. Take care @MIFlyer Derek thanks again for having us over
...and that’s what POA is all about. Love it! :thumbsup:

Officially on the boat to Juneau and under way... thought I would post before loosing signal. Met POA member yesterday and had a chance to chat with him and his wife. Very nice folks. Take care @MIFlyer Derek thanks again for having us over
Bill, it was a true pleasure to meet you and Tami! I'm so glad you could take the time to stop by for a bit and talk about airplanes. I hope the trip is easy and we can catch up the next time you're down here.

Safe travels!

Safe voyage Bill.

Great news!

...and that’s what POA is all about. Love it! :thumbsup:

Bill, it was a true pleasure to meet you and Tami! I'm so glad you could take the time to stop by for a bit and talk about airplanes. I hope the trip is easy and we can catch up the next time you're down here.

Bon voyage Bill & Tami!
Thanks everyone, midnight boat docked 30 min ago. Will post some cool photos of the voyage later today. Long trip.... adventure....is over, sure good to be home...:)

Thanks everyone, midnight boat docked 30 min ago. Will post some cool photos of the voyage later today. Long trip.... adventure....is over, sure good to be home...:)

Bill and Tami. It's great to hear you are back in the comfort of your own home!
Get some rest.
Cheers.

Isn't traveling so much fun.!!

Glad you are home, time to rest and recover.

A few pics Tami by cargo door waiting to board ferry, ferry terminal, some lucky cabin owner. More pics to come as I learn how to edit/resize
What is the historical plaque she is standing next to in the first photo?

Ain’t no place like home!

glad you’re back!

Attachments

• IMG_0204[1].jpg
    IMG_0204[1].jpg
    244.1 KB · Views: 54
I must say the ferry trip was nice. The car deck was full of cars and trucks headed north. Food was good. We ordered food and it was delivered to our table.

The ship was emasculate, very clean and the crew were helpful, very customer orientated, they really did/do a great job. Besides not having internet/WiFi the trip went well.

Played cards, putting puzzles together, taking naps and drinking a few beers in the cabin took up our time.

All and all a good trip for someone who could not fly home. Dollar wise flying would have been a lot cheaper. Ferry for 2 was $2100, about 58 hours travel, first class for 2 $660 and 3 hours travel......:rolleyes:

Glad you got home okay. I've been following the thread. I'd guess "emasculate" was an auto correct intervention, but it got me wondering how do you emasculate a boat? Cut off the rudder or maybe the prop shaft? Have a smaller prettier boat yell at it and demean it?

I'd guess "emasculate" was an auto correct intervention, but it got me wondering how do you emasculate a boat? Cut off the rudder or maybe the prop shaft? Have a smaller prettier boat yell at it and demean it?

The phrase comes the old-timey sailing ship days, when ships had masts. :)

Glad you’re home, AKBill!

Glad you got home okay. I've been following the thread. I'd guess "emasculate" was an auto correct intervention, but it got me wondering how do you emasculate a boat? Cut off the rudder or maybe the prop shaft? Have a smaller prettier boat yell at it and demean it?
Boy that's funny, one eye guy and auto correct what could go wrong........:lol::lol:

Played cards, putting puzzles together, taking naps and drinking a few beers in the cabin took up our time.

All and all a good trip for someone who could not fly home. Dollar wise flying would have been a lot cheaper. Ferry for 2 was $2100, about 58 hours travel, first class for 2 $660 and 3 hours travel......:rolleyes:

58 hours.... but look at all the fun you had.!!

Meet my best friend on the ferry....

th

ships are female to start with

Large ships still require an accurate magnetic compass to back up the mechanical gyro compass. To calibrate the mag compass for the iron in the hull and engines, compasses were fitted with adjustable iron spheres which could be moved during calibration. These were quickly dubbed the Navigator’s Balls. So emasculation may make sense here!

-Skip

A binnacle with navigator’s balls:

upload_2020-12-31_14-37-49.jpeg

Last edited:
IMG_0218[1].jpg IMG_0219[1].jpg And 2 pictures of a view from supermarket parking lot. Prime rib and baked potatoes for dinner....:)

Looks like a gorgeous way to travel, glad things worked out. Love the pictures, keep sending them please.

Very good pictures, I enjoy them a lot.

My trip up the inside passage was in September, so watching the scene go by from on deck was quite pleasant. I had an aircraft handheld radio with a good antenna, and monitored the appropriate frequencies to hear GA aircraft passing nearby.

AKBill , Thanks for the travelogue Glad you made it back safely.

Took the Ferry from Bellingham to Sitka twice in 1990 . Air flight home . Special tickets bought from a travel agent in Petersburg. Both had open date for fly outs . Had state rooms on way up.Was amazingly inexpensive, great trips .
For those who took "deck passage" there were seating much like Greyhound or Airline . Also tent camping under the radiant heaters under covered shelter on rear top deck.
Had a cousin who was city Horticulturialist in Sitka . There is a brass relief bust of cousin mounted on a rock in the city park . He was there 25 years .
Also had another cousin that was commercial fisherman that based out of Sitka.
We were there for the June Symphony . Amazing array of musicians from around the world. And an Amazing gathering of people who flew in , yacthed in ,Tour shipped in.

@Southpaw Thanks for the story. I do enjoy Sitka Tami and I have made dozens of trips over the years and spent the night/weekend there. Areo Services have a crew car we use to get lunch otherwise we walk to terminal and rent a car. I have many fond memories of the Sitka area.

Never fished there but I hear it's a great place to catch Kings

A bit late, but I'm glad you made it home safe. The only time we've been up the inside passage was back in 2006 when we took a cruise out of Seattle. It is a beautiful part of the world.

Update, I was cleared to go back to work. Still have no vision in right eye, but I will be glad to get off workman's comp and earn a living. Limited duty, still need to quarantine for 5 days before returning to work and take a covid test 3 days before reporting to work.

My rotation is scheduled to end in 8 days, so i said why quarantine for 5 days to work 3 days. They said fine start work on the next rotation, so 4 more weeks off then back to work.

Work does suck 3 weeks in a man camp then 3 weeks off, but for me I feel better doing that than staying on workman's comp for the next 5 months before my next eye surgery.

Back