Thinking About...Garmin Portable GPS'

GRG55

Final Approach
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
Aztec Flyer
The Aztec has a GNS 530W and 430 (non-WAAS) in the panel. These are the only Big 'G' devices I have.

I am about to embark on a further Garminization of the plane. Specifically the plan is:
  • a GTX-345 transponder for ADS-B In/Out (to replace the venerable King KT76A);
  • dual GI-275s in the ADI and HSI slots (decision being driven by retention of the existing Century IIIC autopilot)
  • Flightstream 210 wireless gateway
  • as a non-Garmin aside, a PS Engineering 450B audio panel/intercom is also on the list.
I am a long time ForeFlight user on a full size (approx 11" diagonal screen) iPad Air in a Ram mount to the left of the instrument panel (in front of what would be considered the 'A' pillar in a car). I know I can download flight plans from FF to the 530W through the 210, and I can display ADS-B traffic and weather from the 345 on the iPad. I have played around with Garmin Pilot, but my familiarity with FF and no obvious compelling advantage kept me from making the switch.

But given the level of integration Garmin touts, I've been considering replacing the iPad with one of the large screen Aera portable touchscreen GPS units. Potential benefits (I think?):
  • More robust hardware, less susceptible to overheating and shutdown in summer;
  • Brighter, more readable screen in sunlight than the iPad;
  • A form factor that is more conducive to yolk mount compared to the large iPad (preferable in IMC over the current iPad location, imo);
  • Allegedly better integration with the rest of the Garmin gear (trying to judge this).

Aera and Garmin Pilot gurus out there, I'm looking for your experience and advice.

- Is there a material benefit to going all 'G' and dumping ForeFlight with the more integrated panel setup (either GP on the iPad, a large screen Aera, or both)?

- Can a large screen Aera do everything GP on an iPad can do, including pre-planning flight plans and downloading them to the 530W through the 210 gateway? Or do I need to keep the iPad even if I have the portable GPS?

- Is the Aera redundant overkill given the VFR GPS capability in the GI-275?

- is a large screen Aera still too large for yoke mount (e.g. covers up too much of the panel)? Anybody got that set up?

- Any other factors that should be taken into consideration to assess?

First off... *Drool* at your new panel plan.

Second, I can't speak for foreflight since I only use an Aera and then file flight plans on my phone via skyvector, but the robustness of this little unit is insane. I've never had an issue in all of the heat and cold my plane has seen while the Aera is panel mounted. I also snagged it for my multi and yoke mounted it in the Seneca where it was quite useful. In the 3.5 years I've had it, I did have to recently replace the battery for *gasp* $20.

The Aera is NOT redundant overkill given the VFR GPS capability in the GI275. At best I would consider the GI275 an absolute backup... it's really just not that useful, or usable of a feature compared to a purpose built GPS. It's an HSI first and foremost and it's amazing at that and the VFR GPS functionality is really just a tacked-on feature. That being said the moving map of the GI275 does greatly increase situational awareness.

I've never used a tablet in my flying so I'd have a hard time comparing the Aera to one, but I really enjoy it and use it as my primary VFR navigator. The EFB features are really what set it apart as well. If I need to navigate via my GI275, I can do that and then use the Aera for synth vis, or approach plates, or looking up frequencies. It's a pretty low-cost swiss army knife.

I'm not sure if you do much filming, but a HUGE perk to the Aera for me is that I can turn on/off my Garmin Virb Action cameras from the Aera even if the camera is mounted outside the plane.

I just bought a used Aera 660 for exactly what you described. I'll still plan and file everything via Foreflight, but I am hoping the Aera will be able to replace the iPad for in flight duties.

I just bought a used Aera 660 for exactly what you described. I'll still plan and file everything via Foreflight, but I am hoping the Aera will be able to replace the iPad for in flight duties.

I don't have experience with the connectivity features between the Aera and other Garmin stuff, but can tell you that my experience with Garmin handhelds (a 695 in my case) has been exemplary. I'm considering finding room for an Aera 770 in the RV-10 when it is done...

- Any other factors that should be taken into consideration to assess?
One complaint I have about the aera is the databases:
  1. Updates are slow. It takes about 30 minutes to update the entire 28day cycle if the server isn't hammered plus an additional 30 minutes if the terrain DB needs updating.
  2. While panel databases can have an active position for the current cycle and a standby position for the next cycle, the aera only has 1. It can store either the current cycle or the next cycle but not both.

Personally I’d stick with ForeFlight and save the $$

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A few points from my experience with the Aera 660:

- I use it as part of my panel "backup" solution. If electricity or navagitors go, here's a great battery-powered VFR (WAAS?) GPS and it even supports GLONASS satelites. Well, this benefit may not be strong when you have dual GI-275 with GPS and map navigation...

- I use it all the time as low-cost MFD: traffic, nearest airports, safe taxi, etc. Presumably would work with FS210 for traffic and flight plan as it does with my FS510.

- The Garmin OnePak database combo covers all Garmin avionics installed in the airplane + 1 Aera device + the "premium" upgrade of Garmin Pilot. But, if you don't have a Garmin database combo already, then the Aera 660 could bring an annual cost increase because the unit needs frequent database updates...

- Aeras can hard mount onto the yoke by using the "wire mount" kit for power and connectivity. Included serial ports can be used to receive Attitude information from the GTX 345 and navigation from a source. The serial ports can also connect to many Garmin radios to send frequencies directly from the Aera. Navigation and radio hard-wiring may not be (officially) supported with GNS. But you could have the Aera hard-wired when installing the GTX. I'm also getting a GTX 345 soon and will have this done.

Like Ascier brought up, the database management on the Aera 660 (perhaps same on 760) is hair-pulling bad. Really poorly implemented, crazy slow, and a big source of frustration. A 5-star product reduced to 3-4 star based on this. Personally, I would not recommend the Aera line because of this issue if the benefits stated above weren't so good. Here's a picture of my panel with the Aera 660 on the yoke. Having the ability to extend the panel with such a simple upgrade made it an easy decision for me at the time.

Panel.jpeg

I currently use ForeFlight with a GDL39, kinda want an Aera 660/GDL50 anyway.

I've said for years that I'll never buy another Garmin GPS. My iPad and iPhone running Garmin Pilot are better, cheaper, easier, and they update automatically. My Cub has a G3X Touch and I still have my iPhone running GP nav page right above the main display. The iPhone blocks my old Aera 500 in my Cessna.

I've said for years that I'll never buy another Garmin GPS. My iPad and iPhone running Garmin Pilot are better, cheaper, easier, and they update automatically. My Cub has a G3X Touch and I still have my iPhone running GP nav page right above the main display. The iPhone blocks my old Aera 500 in my Cessna.

There are advantages to both (the dedicated vs i-whatever) approach. My garmin handheld is rock solid, never a hiccup. I've had the iphone and ipad overheat. Not frequently, but it has happened.

Besides, my i-devices won't run an autopilot, and the Garmin will (in the experimental world).

One benefit that Garmin Pilot has over Aera 660 is Database Concierge to update recent panel avionics (including, I think, GI 275). Another database related area where the Aera missed the boat...

There are advantages to both (the dedicated vs i-whatever) approach. My garmin handheld is rock solid, never a hiccup. I've had the iphone and ipad overheat. Not frequently, but it has happened.

Besides, my i-devices won't run an autopilot, and the Garmin will (in the experimental world).

A portable GPS will run an autopilot? I didn't know that. My G3X runs mine.

I don't have an overheat problem in AK but that would be inconvenient. With two planes? One iPhone is a handy solution. I was leaning toward a G5 for a G3X backup. A Garmin engineer recommended the iPhone solution. Duh!

A portable GPS will run an autopilot? I didn't know that.

Yep. Literally 2 wires connect the AP and the 695. A wire for the NMEA signal and a ground wire.

I do like the portability of the iPhone, since I panel mounted the 695. I download updates to the iPhone every couple of weeks and do my flight planning stuff there. I use the 695 for bigger picture SA and to drive the autopilot. I don't update the (or those) Garmin database(s) nearly as frequently.

I've always appreciated my old Garmin 696 connected to a GDL 39. Rock solid, and doesn't overheat. I despise Garmin's monopoly and tactics but the product does OK.

GTX 345 providing AHRS connectivity via bluetooth to foreflight isn't bad at all, but if the battery or alternator go TU for any reason, I can continue trucking along with either a 696/GDL39, or foreflight / scout with a portable radio worse case.

The Garmin 696 Shows your position on the chart if need be, not difficult to update, shows traffic and all the ADSB you need.

The 796 is also OK.

The 500 Aera series were sooooo mediocre in my opinion by comparison - they use the same formfactor for a million other products from the Zumo to the Nuvi to all sorts of things, and it's just not as practical. Squinting when you have a million instruments all simultaneously conspiring to make you a smoking hole isn't ideal.

I've had alternator failures, so it is nice to have a purpose built Aviation GPS that is a bit more sturdy than an overheating Ipad.

Hardwiring to a GDL does the trick for me. It isn't that connectivity and serviceability to a GTX345 or GDL 88 aren't bad, it's just that I don't like relying on them in the event of a failure - I prefer total redundancy where I can. While some people enjoy the flight planning transfer brought about by the FS210 etc, I prefer my redundancy better.

I have both GP and 660, I panel mounted the 660. They each have their strengths. GP is better for IFR, I used the 660 as a poor mans MFD. The chart downloading on the 660 is very slow compared to the iPad. Both are connected to the FS210, so weather and traffic show up on both.

a82ddbfb27a80231b1d4c0bd8d1b409f.jpg

Back