Hobbies you've sacrificed for Aviation

Main one was golf. Got 40-60 rounds a year before flying more. Was a single digit handicap. Now play a handful times a year. Actually enjoy it a lot more now happy to scratch out some pars with occ birdie. Used to come home ****ed about a 78. less self induced pressure to perform.

I might have had a different hobby in college, but don't know what it would have been. The road not taken. I also might have been more into what I was studying. In the end, I just wanted to finish and get out.

Can't say I've sacrificed much, although my non-aviation hobbies tend to not be all that expensive. My wife and I have a 4 month old daughter - that's where all the time goes these days!

Having weekdays free to take flying trips was one factor in my giving up playing in orchestras. And I might still be doing some sailing if I hadn't taken up flying.

I am about to pick up another hobby... overlanding . Did a build sheet for my rig and it ain’t cheap, cheaper than putting glass in the panel though. But once the initial investment is done, it gets cheaper, or so I think. Will start the build sometime next year.

... my non-aviation hobbies tend to not be all that expensive.

This seems quite unusual - hobbies that are not expensive?
I'm curious to know more! This could be very inspirational.

Gave up the cars and motorcycles and some of the fishing/hunting trips I could have done. That was when i was trying to start making a living with airplanes. Now that I'm retired, the murdercycles and such have returned. I just don't have the energy anymore for as much. Gave up the flying when I retired. Thought I had had enough of smashing bugs and boring holes in the sky. However, I'm really itching to get back in the air. So I passed on the Vette that a friend was selling. I still have too much real estate to take care of. Hopefully some of that will change soon. Then an airplane? well maybe................. Wife won't get in a "little" airplane, or a DC-10 or a Max. But she doesn't stop me from what I want to do. She won't get on the murdercycles either.
Seems strange that when I couldn't afford ANYTHING, I wanted so much. Airplanes,Cars, boats,vacation property and such. Now that I could afford a nice plane, I'm not sure I want one. Almost too much hassle. But renting sucks!

Last edited:

Meditation.

Or even that lady on the YouTubes who says we should all suntan our sphincters. That’s pretty cheap.

That's interesting...when I though about it, I didn't really have any major hobbies, except for doing stuff with the kids. Being a software developer, I always had computers at home (I think six currently, not counting phones and iPads, raspberry pi, etc.) but I thought of that as training for work. I bike, traveled to visit family (Fl, Ca, Wi). I guess I didn't really have a major hobby until that last college tuition payment (I started flight lessons a week later). I love my kids but once they were mostly out on their own, flying started up. I'm glad my wife puts up with it and even enjoys coming along (usually gets a nice nap). We do short trips and go walking. We're looking for foldable bikes to extend our off-airport excursions.

My kids were my "hobby" so nothing got sacrificed; I just suddenly had money to take up flying.

Oh geez...it's the exact opposite of inspirational. I'm a tech nerd from my younger days, and still enjoy programming in my off time. Usually code that serves little to no purpose, on vintage hardware that hasn't been relevant in decades. It's like being into old cars, but for dorks. :p I also enjoy spending time on my mountain bike, but I'm not hard core enough to spend much more than an AMU on a bike. So overall pretty inexpensive, especially compared to my GA habit.

Now that I have a young kid, the issue is time. There's not a lot leftover for hobbies.

A cold, hard examination of my schedule and finances recently revealed that I can’t fly a Skywagon and build an RV-8.

I also sold my last motorcycle. There are only so many Saturdays.

My wife has always enjoyed my choice of hobby (aviation) especially when I point out how it keeps me away from my alternate hobby choices; bars and women chasing (as if, lol)

Back