Your perfect airplane that does not exist?

4-seat retract, 2 doors, liquid cooled reliable engine, chute, 1350lb UL.

The kit possibility is what got me. Granted this was some time back but the kit was going to be $75k and then you added the engine and avionics. Sign me up. An M350 is what...$1.something million?

I doubt the kit will be much less expensive in reality. I don't even think the Bellanca's empty weight was close to a final, finished airplane with a full suite of avionics and interior fitted out. Certainly not if it became a pressurized version.

The Evolution piston kit is (was?) probably the closest comparable. It seems these types of airplanes, flying at these speeds, with pressurization from the turbochargers and extensive avionics are beyond most garage workshop builders.

Most kit builders put together one airplane, learning as they go. These complex airplanes seem to need a "builder assist center" with experienced staff and tools to assemble. And once you start paying someone I expect the economic advantages of a kit are eroded rather rapidly.

Not perfect, but the seemingly obvious "should have been built" one that might check the 150kt/4 real pax/under $75k (used) box:

Cherokee et al. - 172/177
Arrow - 177RG
Dakota - 182
THIS ONE HERE - 182RG
Six - 205/206
Lance et al. - 210

In other words, an Arrow with a normally aspirated 230-260 hp powerplant.

Not perfect, but the seemingly obvious "should have been built" one that might check the 150kt/4 real pax/under $75k (used) box:

Arrow - 177RG
Dakota - 182
THIS ONE HERE - 182RG
Six - 205/206
Lance et al. - 210

Someone needs to do what the guys at bold warrior did and get the higher HP STC'd. You see what Dakota's go for. Arrow's can be had relatively reasonably.

Someone needs to do what the guys at bold warrior did and get the higher HP STC'd. You see what Dakota's go for. Arrow's can be had relatively reasonably.
If the FAA is already worried about the Arrow's wings at its current power loading, it could be an … interesting … process trying to get them to approve a higher one. But since this thread is about imaginary airplanes, yes, that would be very cool! ;)

Sometimes I wish there was a Jesse James of aviation or a Monster Garage equivalent for aircraft..

Arrow - 177RG
Dakota - 182
THIS ONE HERE - 182RG
Six - 205/206
Lance et al. - 210

You mean a Comanche?

A Cirrus SR Turboprop with retractable gears.

I’ll go with something that does not exist but shouldn’t be a physics stretcher: 177FG with IO-360 or IO-390. Plus some modern aero mods for cowl and pants. And the underlying structural mods needed to have the same useful load as the RG. For an added bonus since we are dreaming, add a Peterson canard

A stiff leg, true 4 seater, cruises at 160 knots @ 65% power, good visibility, air conditioning, and the best of everything in the panel, boasting a 1200 nm fuel range, and will comfortably fly in and out of 1000' pavement, or 1500' of grass, very quiet cabin as well.
Edited, to add. Normally aspirated as I hate turbos, and low wing simply because they are a lot nicer to dip, and fuel up. The rear seat should be easy to remove, and the CoG envelope very wide.

Last edited:
I'll keep the list of wants short and just say a 2 front door A-36 Bonanza. Wife hates the single doors and it's beyond me how Beech and Piper decided it was a good idea. Look at the Rockwell Commander. Heck, it's on my list just because of the doors but I wish it was 150+ knots.

Reactions: YKA
High wing guy here because I trained and flew Cessnas for so many years but now flying an RV10, I want to ask, “why a high wing”? Wing clearance from ground obstacles? View?

You weren't asking me...but for me, things I grew to prefer in the cessnas included....I liked the shelter getting in and out, the ease getting in and out, two doors, gravity fuel feed, opening windows, two doors, no rain in the seat when I open the door....oh wait...I'm repeating myself....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

6 seat Cirrus or a 200 knot PA32 that burns 12gph.
I was thinking along similar lines with the 6 seat Cirrus, but add in high wings with a step to climb up without a ladder

A TBM850 that only cost $50k turn key would be perfect.
...I think the original post excluded cost....but something like a TBM with Cessna 172 operating and maintenance expense could work.... no scratch that.....it kinda gravitates to high and fast flight....I'd want something that can go lower and slower, flying for the fun of flying....

Reactions: YKA
Back