Looking for Garmin WAAS GPS RS232 data stream description

peter-h

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
peter-h
The older streams are well documented e.g. the Bendix/King "aviation" data stream which comes out of a KLN94.

But not the one which comes out of a GNS430W or later.

It must exist otherwise e.g. Avidyne could not have made their IFD boxes Garmin plug-compatible.

Many thanks in advance for any tips or info - by PM if you prefer. It is for a little project I am playing with, not anything commercial.

Yes indeed.

The data stream I am after is probably called the ADS-B OUT Plus.

One can also find it over ARINC429, and this should be easier.

In the Avidyne TAS6xxA IM there is a list of the ARINC429 labels but I can't find info on how the data is presented.

The data stream I am after is probably called the ADS-B OUT Plus.
I'm not sure, but I think you might be referring to MapMX, which is proprietary. It's immediate predecessor is MAPCOM, which is documented in Appendix B of the GNS480 install manual.

Screenshot 2020-12-28 080045.png

After more digging, the spec I am after is the data stream going into an Avidyne TAS6xxA (the version with ADS-B IN).

Normally it comes from a TSO C146 GPS (which delivers all the required stuff regardless of whether WAAS is being received) but it can apparently come from a TSO C129 GPS provided it delivers the extra data elements, which I think must be stuff like the H and V integrity limits. These items won't come out of a KLN94 :)

Back