ipad case/mount

Will Kumley

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Will
Holy crap, the wife must really like this flying thing when we do have good weather. She got me a new Ipad mini for Christmas. She also got me a few other things I asked for that are flying related.

:)

Now I need to decide on a good case and mount system. I figure the ipad will primarily be used for flying but may occasionally take it with me to work, the jury is still out on that. I currently use an iphone in the plane and already have a ram yoke mount so I'm considering something similar for the ipad. For reference I currently rent so a permanent mount is not an option and 75% of the time we are in Cessna 172's, 25% of the time in a Piper Cherokee.

Any advice on cases and or mounts are appreciated.

Second the Ram X-grip. It works great with the Mini. I’m a fan of window over yoke mount to put the screen more in my line of sight and make it easier to copy clearances.

F0F7C180-A239-460B-902A-BA5D59F485A9.jpeg

Second the Ram X-grip. It works great with the Mini. I’m a fan of window over yoke mount to put the screen more in my line of sight and make it easier to copy clearances.

View attachment 92743
I've got the X grip for my phone and think it will be at least the first way I go about mounting it to the yoke. The wife also got me some suction cup mounts for a camera and one has a swivel mount so I could see if it would work for an ipad on the window. Do you also have use a case with your ipad or is it just the ipad by itself?

View attachment 92743
oh, I love this arrangement - how do you deal with iPad overheating? Had it couple times on yoke and it got shut because of direct sunlight..

Definitely a fan of the fact that this mount fits the mini perfectly but can it be used with a case?

No, that mount is for the tablet only and it barely squeezes in there. No play.

For the overheating concern I bring along a microfiber cloth and just put it over the tablet when in direct sunlight. That usually helps.

I’m a fan of window over yoke mount to put the screen more in my line of sight
Agree. I’m not a fan of yoke mounts at all. I regret not buying a mount while I was up at Sporty’s last month, but may just bite the bullet and order one.

Ram parts are interchangeable - so if your current x grip doesn’t fit the new mini you can just order the needed cradle.

For overheating I got an X mount fan case that mounts to the ram parts. Pricy - but it works.

A case when not using it in your airplane? Look on Amazon - billions to choose from. I like outter box myself - but really hard to go wrong with whatever you choose

Put a screen protector on it ASAP.

You have a great wife !!

View attachment 92743

I was able to point one of the cabin ball vents right at the back. Works in a T206 and a DA40 to keep it cool. Not sure about a Piper. I just bought one of those thin clear cases that molds to the back and it still fit into the X-grip okay. I actually have 2, one for a mini and one for a full size iPad and they both seem to work fine with a thin case.

Last edited:
As I'm looking at options, I see a fair amount of ipad kneeboards and it looks like some incorporate a nice cover for the ipad. Other than the obvious of having to look down to see the ipad, what are any disadvantages to that setup? I already have to look down to read navlogs so I don't think it would that far off from what I currently do. Heck, it might even mean not having to install the yoke mount for my phone unless I want to have it ready in case the ipad overheats.

Ram parts are interchangeable - so if your current x grip doesn’t fit the new mini you can just order the needed cradle.

For overheating I got an X mount fan case that mounts to the ram parts. Pricy - but it works.

A case when not using it in your airplane? Look on Amazon - billions to choose from. I like outter box myself - but really hard to go wrong with whatever you choose

Put a screen protector on it ASAP.

You have a great wife !!
Yeah- She's a keeper. I know there are many options of cases just trying to avoid having to take the ipad out of one case just to put it into another anytime I'm going flying or taking it to work. Screen protector is already on order. :)

... ipad kneeboards...
I have a generic kneeboard I clip my tablet under and it works, but isn’t great. The tablet is able to move fairly easily under the clip, so I’m considering adding a velcro strip to the tablet and kneeboard. I did not want a sleeve type kneeboard for the tablet, even though it should hold the tablet more securely.

I like that I can glance down and see a chart accurately centered on my location. Really like it with geo referenced airport diagrams. I prefer having the approach plate in front of me instead of on my knee...just an easier transition shifting my eyes a bit instead of going heads down to the knee.

I’ve also found I’m so used to writing on a kneeboard and I dislike the passive stylus that it’s been a challenge transitioning to using the ipad as a notepad as well. Maybe an active pen would be better, but I’m so used to the texture of a thick pencil on paper that it’s just not the same on the smooth glass, even with a matte screen protector.

I have a generic kneeboard I clip my tablet under and it works, but isn’t great. The tablet is able to move fairly easily under the clip, so I’m considering adding a velcro strip to the tablet and kneeboard. I did not want a sleeve type kneeboard for the tablet, even though it should hold the tablet more securely.

I like that I can glance down and see a chart accurately centered on my location. Really like it with geo referenced airport diagrams. I prefer having the approach plate in front of me instead of on my knee...just an easier transition shifting my eyes a bit instead of going heads down to the knee.

I’ve also found I’m so used to writing on a kneeboard and I dislike the passive stylus that it’s been a challenge transitioning to using the ipad as a notepad as well. Maybe an active pen would be better, but I’m so used to the texture of a thick pencil on paper that it’s just not the same on the smooth glass, even with a matte screen protector.
This one seems to allow you to use the ipad and a paper clipboard. I agree though that heads down isn't anything I prefer so I believe I would prefer something more in my line of sight.

Amazon.com: Pilot Kneeboard with Aluminum Clipboard. Compatible with 7.9 inch Apple iPad Mini 3 and 4, Android Devices Similar in Size: Computers & Accessories

When VFR I use an iPro Air Command kneeboard. Holds the iPad securely. Aluminum, riveted hinges, well made.
http://pilotssupplies.com/product/Ipro-Air-Commander-For-Apple-Ipad-Air.html

IFR in the Aztec the kneeboard doesn't work. I have a Ram mount system that puts the iPad to the immediate left of the panel so it's good line of sight.

I don't keep my iPads in a case. I use a magnetic cover that protects the screen when not in the plane, and has a good grip surface. Because it attaches with a magnet easy to pull off when I want to put the iPad in the kneeboard or in the Ram mount.

Take a look at Pivot Case products. I like them even better than the Ram mounts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Take a look at Pivot Case products. I like them even better than the Ram mounts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I really like the pivot cases, and it looks like pairing it with a Robust mount from Sporty's could work to allow me to mount it in many different ways. If I order the suction cup mount I could try both the window mount vs the yoke mount to see which I like more since I already have a yoke mount for my phone.

I have a Pivot case, and find it unbeatable with the removable cover. Very well protected when handling it for pre-flight checklists and dispatch. Then easily clips onto either my yoke or suction mount. I use the yoke mount in an Archer and the suction mount in a 172 and 182. There is a Pivot RAM adapter that makes the case mountable with all of the RAM hardware.

I have a Pivot case, and find it unbeatable with the removable cover. Very well protected when handling it for pre-flight checklists and dispatch. Then easily clips onto either my yoke or suction mount. I use the yoke mount in an Archer and the suction mount in a 172 and 182. There is a Pivot RAM adapter that makes the case mountable with all of the RAM hardware.
Ok, just to make sure I'm thinking the same thing can you put a link to your case so I can see it? I was thinking any case that allows you to rotate the ipad is a "pivot" case but now I'm thinking that isn't correct.

Ok, just to make sure I'm thinking the same thing can you put a link to your case so I can see it? I was thinking any case that allows you to rotate the ipad is a "pivot" case but now I'm thinking that isn't correct.
Have you tried Google? Searching for pivot case will get you pivotcase.com as the first hit.

Part of the answer depends on what you are flying. Most will accept a yoke mount, but some won't. Fly a DA40 and a yoke mount just won't work :D. In terms of the cradle, there are two I like. One is the X-Grip already mentioned. The other is the Tab-Tite which, like the X-Grip, firs more than one size. The one I use is deep enough I can use it with my tablet naked or in a pretty thick case.
Other than the obvious of having to look down to see the ipad, what are any disadvantages to that setup? I
That's pretty much it. Personal preference. I sometimes use a leg mount when instructing or just flying VFR but in that situation, I'm just as likely to use no mount at all.

I initially used the Otter box case that I got for its maximum protection ability. But I found that in the summer, the enclosed case in direct sunlight on the screen while using for approach plates would cause numerous overheating episodes. The posters who talked about shielding the screen or using a magnetic cover was the solution for me. I bought a DuxPlus case that combined a fairly protective case but without the clear screen protector of the Otter box. It does however have the magnetic cover as part of it. Keeping the cover on until you need the screen protects from the direct sunlight and conserves battery power. The only downside is that when flipping the cover off, I need my security code and have not been motivated to look into avoiding that step, if it can be eliminated. I also don’t use it on a mount at all but on my lap without anything except balancing on my knee pad strap. No doubt, a fan or blowing air would help in any situation.

I do however use an Ram Xmount for my iPhone to the left window for visible adsb traffic which seems to be working well.

Here is my Pivot case on the yoke in an Archer and on the window in a 172. Basically the case has an integrated connector clip that mates with various mounts, the removable cover, etc. So it is always in that big thick case and you snap it onto whatever you want it mounted to, or the cover. At the bottom is a picture of the back with it attached to the suction mount, for a better idea of how it works.

pivot_archer.jpg pivot_172.jpg
back.jpg

Back