Light weight, collapsable, 2 wheel electric scooter for airplane?

Lndwarrior

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Gary
I am looking at buying a cheap, very-light weight, collapsable, 2 wheel, electric (kick type) scooter for a long trip I am planning. I have very little space and very little useful load to spare. Max. range could be 5 or 6 miles.

I need to keep the price under $300.

Any kind of 2 wheel bike is not an option. I don't have the room.

Any suggestions?

I've looked at Amazon and there are a million of them. Looking to find some reliable pireps.

TIA

Any possibility that you’d consider an electric skateboard? More room and long range. If I can start at 53, anyone can.

That may be a tough price point. Search used, maybe. I bought our etwow scooters from uscooters.com. They fold smaller than any other I researched. Great company and products.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I bought our etwow scooters from uscooters.com. They fold smaller than any other I researched. Great company and products.

On scooters like these, is it possible to purchase an additional battery? I’m wondering if batteries can be easily swapped out for greater range. (?)

We recently took a trip to Cincinnati and while there, we rented 2 Bird electric scooters. At first it was a tough sell for my girlfriend but I got her to try one, and now she wants one (and I have to admit they were more fun AND more useful than I was expecting)... so, I'm looking for a pair of them now. From what I've seen, I think your "under $300" price will make it impossible to find a decent new scooter, so as someone else said, search used. I'm looking to spend about $2000 for a pair. I figured I'd wait until after Christmas to avoid the hassles of Christmas shipping.

E skateboard that I will buy next, based on a lot of research:

https://www.meepoboard.com/collections/electric-skateboards/products/meepo-v3

I built my own from scratch from variously sourced parts and spent about $450. The Meepo above is less than that, has good reviews, and a 20 mile range. The carry handle is a great idea. You can carry them inside wherever you end up going and not worry about theft or it being unweildy.

E skateboard that I will buy next, based on a lot of research:

https://www.meepoboard.com/collections/electric-skateboards/products/meepo-v3

I built my own from scratch from variously sourced parts and spent about $450. The Meepo above is less than that, has good reviews, and a 20 mile range. The carry handle is a great idea. You can carry them inside wherever you end up going and not worry about theft or it being unweildy.
The "type" selection on that is interesting. I'd need the V3 ER type because I am sure I'd wind up in the Emergency Room. When I was a young man of 53 I'm sure I could have done that, but at 68, I ain't risking it.

The "type" selection on that is interesting. I'd need the V3 ER type because I am sure I'd wind up in the Emergency Room. When I was a young man of 53 I'm sure I could have done that, but at 68, I ain't risking it.

I hear ya on that!! Even at 53, a spill is likely to cause a visit to an ER, and some “vacation time”. I wear a helmet but do think twice about it affecting my working/thinking ability. Obviously the thinking part doesn’t work 100% already.

I am looking at buying a cheap, very-light weight, collapsable, 2 wheel, electric (kick type) scooter for a long trip I am planning. I have very little space and very little useful load to spare. Max. range could be 5 or 6 miles.

I need to keep the price under $300.

Any kind of 2 wheel bike is not an option. I don't have the room.

Any suggestions?

I've looked at Amazon and there are a million of them. Looking to find some reliable pireps.

TIA
Here is a place to start: https://www.techradar.com/best/cheap-electric-scooters

Looks like the Xiomai Essential may be what you are looking for. No personal experience with these, so no opinion to offer.

Edit: Looking at the listing I see no mention of Folding capability. So that one is probably not what you want.

Dave

Last edited:
We have two GoTrax XR Ultra scooters. They have a “reliable” range of about 12 miles though they are advertised as 17 mile range. They have a top speed of 15mph. 4 hours for a full charge. About $360.00. They weigh about 26 lbs. I shopped until my eyes were crossed. The important things IMO are to get a minimum 300W motor and tires with air vs solid. Solid sounds like a good idea because they won’t go flat. But they are hard and bumpy.
Also know that these scooters work best on level ground or a less than 7% grade.
We use ours on mostly flat ground (coastal areas mainly). They are awesome - and lots of fun. I fly a C172 and we put them in the back seat. The handle bar folds down nicely. When you get to a restaurant or local business just ask if you can plug in. We carry a short extension cord with double female ends in a backpack and charge while we eat or wander around.
Good luck in your search and pm me if you have other questions.
JC

On scooters like these, is it possible to purchase an additional battery? I’m wondering if batteries can be easily swapped out for greater range. (?)

I believe you can purchase extra batteries, but they have a pretty good range with just the one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We recently took a trip to Cincinnati and while there, we rented 2 Bird electric scooters. At first it was a tough sell for my girlfriend but I got her to try one, and now she wants one (and I have to admit they were more fun AND more useful than I was expecting)... so, I'm looking for a pair of them now. From what I've seen, I think your "under $300" price will make it impossible to find a decent new scooter, so as someone else said, search used. I'm looking to spend about $2000 for a pair. I figured I'd wait until after Christmas to avoid the hassles of Christmas shipping.

Ive thought about getting one to solve the “last mile” problem, but so many airports (even in rural areas) are served by relatively busy or high-speed roads. Not sure if I’d feel comfortable scootering along the shoulder of a state road at 15 mph.

Ive thought about getting one to solve the “last mile” problem, but so many airports (even in rural areas) are served by relatively busy or high-speed roads. Not sure if I’d feel comfortable scootering along the shoulder of a state road at 15 mph.
Yes, quite true. We have fold up bikes now, and I thought the scooters would just offer one more option. Even the bicycles are scary on the state roads, so I'm not sure what the solution is for those airports.

We wanted to get two electric scooters, as we often fly into airports without taxis or Uber but still need to somehow cover the last few miles to our destination.

For now, I have however ditched the idea, since many (most?) states still don't have laws for electric bikes or scooters, what means that they would be considered mopeds.
The states that have laws for electric bikes and scooters tend to limit their use to bike lanes or roads with speeds limits of only 25mph, what rules out any country or city main road.

I doubt that cops would actually care much about a guy cruising down the road on his scooter, but it is still a risk I don't want to take.

I bought a Mercane Widewheel, way more than $300 and while it has plenty of power and range and fits in the airplane it ain't light and I quickly dismissed the idea of riding along a highway with it. So it's been at the hangar and I use it as my airport runabout. I've put about 20 miles on it over the past 9 months mostly going to the restroom and back.

The difference between a scooter and a skateboard is that, with the scooter, you have some handlebars to hold onto when you're doing your face-plant.

Back